UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> what deserves to be called a "martial" art?

2/19/10 6:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
laqueus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Martial by definition means that it's used by the military for war purposes. Which styles/arts are actually used by the military, and for what purposes?

Obviously BJJ is there as used by the US Military, for A) having the soldiers keep fighting even if it's close range - a never give up attitude and B) because the soldiers are acting as a police force and need non-lethal methods of controlling people

I've only read articles and seen interviews for people with the MACP and MCMAP, so I can't speculate any further about other militaries.

Does marksmanship count as a martial art? What about biathlon?
2/26/10 10:52 AM
hordvitnir9
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess anything that you use in war. I think the style has to have a realistic ability to kill in a combat situation. subduing your opponent isn't that useful in a combat situation. I'm not taking s jab at Aikido but personally I don't think its a martial art by definition. Its not meant to kill. Marksmanship is just as much a martial art as fighting with a sword. They are both weapons used to kill in war its just technological advancement. I don't think biathlon counts as a martial art because its not meant solely for war.
3/1/10 8:58 AM
Joe Maffei
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Martial by definition means that it's used by the military for war purposes. Which styles/arts are actually used by the military, and for what purposes?"

Laqueus
Why do you want to know? I'm not being an ass, I am just wondering?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.