UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Kendo ?

2/21/10 1:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Andy the man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/21/10 1:06 PM

Thoughts on the art ?

Looks intresting to be honest and i was thinking of giving it a go.

Any advice / tips ?
2/22/10 11:07 AM
FlashGordon2002

I actually thought about this too but the one thing that stopped me was the cost of the gear.
2/22/10 2:43 PM
Andy the man

How much is it then ?
9/8/10 6:35 PM
allthat

check out ebogu.com
9/10/10 11:25 PM
Badmonkey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can kendo the fuck out of someone with a good collapsible baton...

9/28/10 9:16 AM
Willybone
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/28/10 9:18 AM
I took kendo for 6 months, until the school said I had to stop just borrowing gear and get my own. I couldn't afford it at the time.
But, in that six months, I swear it was the hardest martial art I have ever studied and I've studied a few. The discrepancy in skill level between noobs and even mid-level students is insane. With striking or grappling, I could get lucky shot/sub in once a while. Kendo, fucking nothing, never, not even close, nada. And it was torture on my body. The skin continuously peeled off my hands and feet for months from practice until they grew in leather. My biceps ceased to work, period. My calves and forearms ballooned out to Popeye proportions. My wrists and the top of my skull were continuously bruised.

It was awesome. I'd do it again if there was a club nearby.

I loved watching the advanced students and instructors. That was actually more fun than practice. Twice, I saw my Sensei dual with good visiting players from Japan, and both times it was an otherworldly, nearly superhuman spectacle that I will not forget ever.

3/1/11 3:12 PM
Ogami Itto
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I coach in the art. Can I help?
5/12/11 11:32 AM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
One of my BJJ students is dying to start training both Kendo and Iaido.  I have a tiny bit of experience in Kendo and enjoyed it...I told him I'd do this journey along with him.  I have a couple years of fencing (all three weapons), and a boatload of FMA experience.  This should be tons of fun.

5/12/11 11:35 AM
Ogami Itto
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great! Where you training, Connecticut? I made a very good kendo thread and will find it and post it here.
5/12/11 11:36 AM
Ogami Itto

here it is!

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&thread=1787537
5/22/12 8:59 AM
MikeFL152
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kendo is huge in Japan, high schools there even have Kendo programs, on the same level as Judo as far as participation over there.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.