UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> My friend just finished a screenplay

2/21/10 10:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
groundfighter2000
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What does he do now?
2/23/10 5:53 PM
Valentino Slice
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

send it out to ppl he trusts for feedback and criticism. if he really thinks it's good enough he can try and get in touch w/ producers, agents, etc, but more than likely his script isn't good. i'd tell him to tuck it away and start writing another one, then another, then another.
2/23/10 7:19 PM
groundfighter2000
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Valentino Slice - send it out to ppl he trusts for feedback and criticism. if he really thinks it's good enough he can try and get in touch w/ producers, agents, etc, but more than likely his script isn't good. i'd tell him to tuck it away and start writing another one, then another, then another.

yeah he said hes gonna start writing another one. He's just looking for feedback. I actually know someone (a friend of a friend's son kinda thing) who is a pretty successful screenwriter in hollywood. I dont want to mention his name, but i debated asking to see if he'd give my friend advice. My friend originally asked if the guy could read it but i dont want to impose on this guy since i dont directly know him.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I would never try screenwriting myself. Like you said, most likely his script isnt good.
2/23/10 9:42 PM
groundfighter2000

InfamousJames -  GF2000,

From what I understand a lot of producers or studios or agents will ask "Well what else do you have."  Have him register it with the WGA first and foremost so no one can take his idea.  It only cost $20 and I believe you can do it online.  I just got to Hollywood but would still love to read it.  My buddy's friend is an exec at Overture.

Awesome, thanks for tip Infamous. Yeah, he mentioned to me he wanted to get it copyrighted or whatever, and i had no idea what the process was for a screenplay.

So as long as he registers it with the Writers Guild (im assuming thats what WGA stands for), then hes all set legally in terms of protecting is intellectual property or whatever?
3/1/10 6:15 PM
coacpriest
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

send it my way!

www.myspace.com/coachpriest
3/1/10 11:46 PM
groundfighter2000

coacpriest - send it my way!

you have a pm!
3/2/10 2:48 PM
groundfighter2000

priest, you got an email address?
6/13/10 2:31 PM
masato1
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

groundfighter2000 - 
coacpriest - send it my way!

you have a pm!

Hey man - what is your interest?  I have some screenplays too.

Are you just interested as a writer? what's your connections?
6/13/10 6:10 PM
masato1
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/13/10 6:10 PM
 shopping a screenplay I find is next to impossible if you don't know anyone in the business...

Agents won't rep you unless you've had a script sold, and no production companies will look at unsolicited material without an agent repping it.

Its a catch-22.  I got a fluke pitch a while back from a contact who knew someone else..  but really that's the biggest pitch I've managed to find in a few years.  (he loved it btw - all the creatives dug it (was a CGI Animation Studio), but when it came time to sign an agreement the financial execs turned it down because it didn't fit into any genre and they said there was not a big enough market for the story, even though it was good - because it was to be pitched as an animated film but not for kids - currently there is indeed almost zero market for this, or zero western-made films like this that have shown success - sad because teen/college/young adult animated films I believe have a huge potential, but no one seems to be taking the chance.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.