UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> Attn clubs: Want to get the ufc in Melbourne

2/22/10 7:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PeterIrl
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Howdy,

Have just seen a tv bit where the Vic minister for sport basically shitcanned the idea of the UFC coming to Melbourne.

Is it possible for us as martial artists and MMA fans to try and put together some kind of petition to the minister to try and help him understand that this is something that we the people of Melbourne want and that he shouldn't make arbitrary decisions based on his own personal opinions?

Whatchoo reckon?
2/22/10 8:45 AM
DMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bump
2/22/10 6:12 PM
PeterIrl
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks man,

C'mon guys, lets see what we can get going here!!!!!
2/22/10 8:19 PM
PeterIrl

Edited: 02/22/10 8:20 PM
Basically, it looks like the minister for sport(James Merlino) decided in just blanket ban any "cage fighting" event.

He's been quoted as saying the following:

"I have never approved, and will not be approving, any combat sport competitions staged in cages," the minister said.

"I believe the spectacle of two competitors in cage combat-style competition does not meet the community's standards of what is acceptable for professional combat sports in Victoria."

While this may still allow MMA in a ring, it leaves us high and dry if we want to have the UFC stage any events in Melbourne.

The biggest issues I see with this are:

1. the kneejerk way in which he's done it. I would be highly surprised if he's done any research into the sport, or the need for a cage from a safety point of view. How many videos are floating around of fighters falling through the ropes during bouts.

2. his use of the word "spectacle". Now, while some fights can be "visually spectacular", this is first and foremost a SPORT. What we need to do is try and educate these people about the sport of MMA. Main problem being that they've already got (ill) preconcieved ideas regarding what the sport is, the character of those who watch/train/support it and also the character of the fighters who compete.
We need to educate them to the fact that MMA fighters are skilled althletes and banish the meaningless cockfighting/streetfight comparisons once and for all.

3. The fact that it seems like a single person(who is supposed to represent and work FOR the people) has made his decision purely based on his own closed minded misconceptions. Thats a fundemental disregard for the democratic process.
2/22/10 8:58 PM
Goodo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brumby canned it on the late news last night also. I cant remeber what he said exactly but it wreaked of ignorance.

Surely $3 Million at the gate transfers to plenty in the general economy of a city I know the weekend cost me about a grand. Surely those sorts of figures have got to get the politicians interested.
2/22/10 10:26 PM
csw0101
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem is they associate cage fighting with the no rules cock fighting which is how they unfortunately advertised the UFC as back in the early days.

The need for a cage has to be justified to them over a ring eg. the cage keeps them inside when one person shoots and the other person sprawls otherwise they end up going through the rings.

We need to prove it's a sport with rules and no that it's no longer NHB. They only see the violence and the blood (which I admit to the lay person looks awful eg. Perosh covered with his own blood after the cut)
2/22/10 11:16 PM
BenBJJ
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WHile I dont think banning UFC anywhere is a good idea, in this case I approve!

Keep the UFC in Sydney, Australia's MMA capital!
2/22/10 11:27 PM
PeterIrl

BenBJJ - WHile I dont think banning UFC anywhere is a good idea, in this case I approve!

Keep the UFC in Sydney, Australia's MMA capital!

Okay then, look at it this way. If MMA in the cage was legalised in Vic it would open the door to the possibility of having an increased national awareness of MMA, more local promotions/shows, larger talent pool etc. So in essence, a win for MMA fans everywhere in Oz.
2/22/10 11:33 PM
BenBJJ
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^true.
2/23/10 2:01 AM
Andymac86

Brisbane should be next anyway!
2/23/10 2:03 AM
PeterIrl

C'mon Oz forum, there's got to be a few people out there who give a shit????
2/23/10 2:06 AM
Andymac86

don't get me wrong i think they should go to Melbourne ..he obviously doesnt have a clue re the sport.

but imo we have had the bigger mma scene over the last decade ...1st come first serve imo
2/23/10 2:15 AM
PeterIrl

You're entitled to your opinion and I won't argue with you mate, I'm just trying to generate some momentum for the VIC clubs to work together to try and achieve something good that'll benefit everyone in the long run:-)
2/23/10 4:26 AM
Andymac86

True i can't believe they would say no to all that money anyway! even if they hate the sport everyone loves $$$
2/23/10 4:57 AM
evilsorta

i was thinking about this....

the tourist $$ it'll bring alone will end the argument.

maybe it needs a high profile event like this to be taken seriously?

but I'm sure there's also going to be a afl scheduling issue aswell...as in i don't see the afl being too pleased that the ufc rock in on a sunday and cut into thier market.

so the event will have to be held pre or post afl season

just food for thought.
2/23/10 6:07 AM
dave nagel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as long as its anywhere in australia it's good. if it's in nsw even better :-)
2/23/10 6:11 AM
Max The Silent

Barring the obvious political clout wielded by the AFL with the UFC potentially making it to Victoria, I would think an organised, professional approach to the Shadow Spokesman for Sport would probably be a good start. People such as John Will would make excellent political advocates for MMA.
Whether the Opposition Minister shares the same views as the Minister is another matter, however, when he is made aware of the likely economic benefits that accrue from this sort of event we would likely see him use that sort of political ammo against his Government number.
By playing one off against the other we would then likely see the Minister for Sport being lambasted in the media for ignoring the economic benefit to the State from holding this sort of event. It would, at the very least, open up some measure of dialogue at a political level, and that, is a good start, compared to where we are now.

Mind you, the UFC cards would have to be consistently good if they were going to head out here regularly. It would have to be better than your run of the mill UFN card I would think. That's why 110 was such a success, apart from a number of other reasons. Getting to see such legends in person was one of my main reasons for forking out the big bucks for a weekend in Sydney.
2/23/10 4:20 PM
jbourke
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love to have it in Melbourne but what can you do? With return flights going at $88 its a good excuse to head off for the weekend!
2/23/10 4:27 PM
PeterIrl

jbourke - I would love to have it in Melbourne but what can you do?

WE can try and change the situation, by bringing awareness of the positive aspects of MMA and the UFC.

Anyone catch sports tonight on Ten last night? The covered the Randy Couture seminar in Melbourne. Chris judd was there and was interviewed. He extolled the benefits of the body contact involved in MMA/Cagefighting as a tool for preparing for the AFL season.
2/23/10 11:13 PM
evilsorta

he also said that randy was the robert harvey of wrasslin.

*sigh*
2/23/10 11:23 PM
crazydave
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Andymac86 - Brisbane should be next anyway!
2/27/10 9:43 AM
geraldbb
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rumour has it Perth may be considered by the UFC for next event?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.