UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> ?? for Honda techs

2/22/10 2:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TommyB
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my wife has an 05 CRV, 4cyl with 103k miles on it. I've done regular maintenance on it since she's had it. recently it seems as if it's starting to crank longer than I would expect it to when starting. Thanks in advance for any help.
2/23/10 10:18 AM
07BSPXR
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im not a Honda tech but i may be able to help narrow it down.  when cranking is it struggling at all? or is it still strong and just taking longer to start?
2/23/10 1:19 PM
TommyB

just taking longer to start.
2/23/10 1:22 PM
Pretjah
915 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how long has it been doing this?  only when it's a cold start?  if you start it up and let it run for a while and say drive to the mall, then walk around for about an hour and go back to start it does it take a long time then too?
2/23/10 2:13 PM
TommyB

It's been doing it for a few months, but doesn't do it all the time. Weather conditions aren't a factor since it has done it in cold and warm weather. It has done it after being driven for a while.
2/23/10 2:15 PM
Pretjah
915 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

really stupid question

have you cleaned the battery terminals at all lately?

check the wires at the terminals make sure they are in the terminals securely

my dodge pickup was having a starting issue and i eventrually found out that some of the rubber on one of the wires was stopping it from getting a good connection.  fixed that and it's been good ever since

again that's a silly issue but worth checking.
2/23/10 2:21 PM
TommyB

recently replaced the battery, and yes the terminals were clean and secure.
2/27/10 9:45 AM
THERESmyCHIPPY

sounds like it might be a fuel issue. maybe low fuel pressure due to clogged fuel filter. Although im not sure if that car will have an external fiter. a lot of manufacturers are goin to in tank filters. maybe clogged injectors. You could try putting some injector cleaner in the tank to see if that takes care of it. usuallly when a car takes long to crank (like you are describing) you either have a restriction in the fuel system or a leak. the leak could be external or internal (into intake causing a temporary rich condition) just some ideas . hope that helps a little.
3/2/10 8:50 AM
TommyB

good point tmc. filter's in the tank but I'll get some injector cleaner and see what that does.
3/2/10 8:47 PM
THERESmyCHIPPY

no problem. keep me updated. if that doesnt work ill see if i can find anything else for you. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.