UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Take Praxis I and II on same day?

2/25/10 11:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Crush Crawfish
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After years of kicking it around and putting it off, I've decided to go ahead and get certified to teach. Could I take both tests on the same day to speed up the process or do I have to do them one at a time?

I don't think the test will be much of a problem, I used to tutor people who were getting ready for it, I just never took it myself (dumb lol)

Thanks in advance.
3/14/10 10:27 AM
adamwj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Which Praxis II are you taking? You can exempt Praxis I if your SAT was high enough...
3/15/10 4:34 PM
Crush Crawfish
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

High school social studies (econ, history, gov't)

I took the ACT instead of the SAT, I don't know if that counts or not. I'll check into it. Thanks for the tip.
3/15/10 10:27 PM
adamwj

I'm pretty sure ACT still counts. It may depend on your state. Just check with the Department of Public Instruction. I'm certified High School Social Studies. It is a random Praxis man! Lots of random stuff on the multiple choice one, but nothing that isn't covered in a survey course of any of those disciplines. Good luck!
3/20/10 12:20 PM
Sandy Pantz
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Praxis 1 is what you (might) take to get into college. Praxis 2 is what you take towards the end of your studies as part of your licensing requirements. You don't want to take that before even taking a single class.
3/21/10 7:27 PM
Crush Crawfish

Sandy Pantz - Praxis 1 is what you (might) take to get into college. Praxis 2 is what you take towards the end of your studies as part of your licensing requirements. You don't want to take that before even taking a single class.

Really? I thought you had to take the Praxis I as a pre-req for the Praxis II. I've got an Econ degree, just didn't do all the teaching specific stuff like I should've.
3/21/10 9:17 PM
adamwj

If you've got an Econ degree and not an education degree you are most likely going to have to take a lateral entry route anyway, so I would check your states requirements on that before you sign up for any tests. Praxis 1 is not necessarily a prerequisite. You're most definitely going to have to take several education classes. I'd just give a representative at DPI a call or someone in charge of licensure in a district where you may potentially like to teach. They'll direct you... What state are you in?
3/22/10 12:31 PM
Crush Crawfish

I'm in AR. You get a "grace period" of sorts, 2 years I think, to finish your cert once you're hired on, but on the other hand, no one is going to hire you if you haven't made some pretty significant steps towards getting it done.
3/22/10 1:39 PM
adamwj

That's the way most places are. Check this out: http://arkansased.org/educators/licensure/nontraditional.html

Seems like that would be your best bet. Enrolling in that program would be a "significant step". NC has a similar program. We have a couple of teachers here that are going through it. They go to school one or two afternoons a week and have some online sessions, but its pretty straight forward. Good luck!

3/22/10 3:43 PM
Crush Crawfish

That is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks a ton.
4/21/10 2:00 PM
Retard
766 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NDFS

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.