UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rick Hawn doesn't like Karo, looks for a big 2010

2/25/10 1:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mark_Daniels
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/25/10 1:02 PM

Olympic Judoka Rick Hawn takes to the cage

When three-time U.S. judo champion Rick Hawn decided to take up mixed martial arts, it would be natural to make the comparisons to another judoka who has had success in the cage - Karo Parisyan.

Though the comparison would be fitting, Hawn not-so-respectfully disagrees.

“I wouldn’t want to compare myself to him, kind of just because I can’t stand the guy,” said Hawn. “I’ll be better than he was. He had a base with judo but he wasn’t as good. My judo is a little more advanced.

Hawn beat Parisyan in Judo twice at the U.S Open eight years ago. Hawn also has a longer list of accomplishments,including a berth to the Olympics, compared to Parisyan - one of the first judokas to make a successful transition to MMA.

Having the same type of success in the cage though as the UFC veteran is something Hawn is striving for.

More 
2/25/10 1:05 PM
Mark_Daniels
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if Hawn get's by both Tom Gallicchio - at the WCF this Friday - and Braulio Estima - at Shine - I wonder if Karo would consider a comeback fight
2/25/10 1:20 PM
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^

Go Gallichio!
2/25/10 1:23 PM
Chris
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

interesting to see how far he go. having watched him fight locally he's a tough guy.

I see him having trouble of Estima can get the fight on the mat, but that's the question of the match.
2/25/10 1:40 PM
DrewMax
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should be a great fight this Friday in Boston w/ Hawn vs. Gallichio. If Hawn wins maybe the WCF can set up a Karo/Hawn fight in the summer.
2/25/10 2:38 PM
jkartigue
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rick is a really great guy and I hope he does well. He was one of the best guys on the circuit at that time both on and off the mat.

Good Judo and a good attitude he should do well.
2/25/10 2:53 PM
KingBodhi
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everything he says is true. He's better than Karo at Judo and if he develops his striking he'll be a real contender some day. His biggest advantage is that he doesn't have the psychological and personal problems that Karo has.
2/26/10 12:12 PM
uratoker2
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Sensei Rick......
2/26/10 12:16 PM
Waterbottle

Karo is a great fighter. Judo is one thing and fighting is another.

Waterbottle
2/26/10 12:18 PM
ausgepicht

Psyched for tonight....W
2/26/10 1:05 PM
Rogue Connor

I think the best thing about Karo was how well he adapted his judo style to MMA...not necessarily that he has the greatest technique.  Will be great to see how Rick goes about it that's for sure.
2/26/10 5:53 PM
leothelion

Karo is a great fighter...who happens to have transitioned his Judo to MMA... Judoka with much stronger Judo pedigree have not done so well..
2/26/10 8:08 PM
nowaydo
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Means little. We'll see.

100s of heavyweight BJJ blackbelts are better in BJJ that Frank Mir, but none have the MMA submission success as Mir.

There is Judo and there is knowing how to express your Judo in MMA.
2/26/10 9:28 PM
OneScoup

"compared to Parisyan - one of the first judokas to make a successful transition to MMA"

What?
2/26/10 9:46 PM
BuddyRevell
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/26/10 9:47 PM
Although some other Judokas who've fought MMA are more decorated than Karo, I haven't seen any of them adapt their Judo as well for the fight game. 
2/26/10 11:43 PM
Kung Fu Joe
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody at these fights or know the results?
2/27/10 12:17 AM
cape

Still waiting to hear back about the results from tonight.  Hawn's a beast and uses his Judo extremely well without the gi and in MMA.  And training at SYT, his striking is constantly improving.  Can't wait to see him on the bigger stage in Shine!
2/27/10 12:53 AM
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/27/10 12:53 AM
cape

Rick won, UD 30-27
2/27/10 8:29 AM
uratoker2
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/27/10 11:29 AM
jkartigue
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Judo circuit is a very competitive circuit and some rivalries will pop up especially amongst Judo clubs. These guys battle each other on a constant basis and the best 5 guys always meet up in the finals.

Winning and losing to each other so often will build some hatred.

One of the reasons why high level Judoka seem to be lackluster in MMA is that they are usually physically destroyed by the time they step in the arena. High level Judo is not kind to the body. While you will see Nastula look mediocre in Pride go back and research how many Judo matches he did in a 5 year span and the number of tournaments he was doing in that time period. I have said this many times on these and other forums.

Karo is really an anomaly in the Judo community his club was doing many grappling competitions not associated with Judo. Gokor and Lebell ran a very non traditional Judo club and Karo was fighting MMA at a very young age.

Just like straight sport BJJ guys, kick boxers or boxer have a rough transition to MMA so do competitive Judo guys. Even the P4P best grappler in the world, Marcelo Garcia had a tough time.
2/27/10 11:37 AM
SKARHEAD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jkartigue - The Judo circuit is a very competitive circuit and some rivalries will pop up especially amongst Judo clubs. These guys battle each other on a constant basis and the best 5 guys always meet up in the finals.

Winning and losing to each other so often will build some hatred.

One of the reasons why high level Judoka seem to be lackluster in MMA is that they are usually physically destroyed by the time they step in the arena. High level Judo is not kind to the body. While you will see Nastula look mediocre in Pride go back and research how many Judo matches he did in a 5 year span and the number of tournaments he was doing in that time period. I have said this many times on these and other forums.

Karo is really an anomaly in the Judo community his club was doing many grappling competitions not associated with Judo. Gokor and Lebell ran a very non traditional Judo club and Karo was fighting MMA at a very young age.

Just like straight sport BJJ guys, kick boxers or boxer have a rough transition to MMA so do competitive Judo guys. Even the P4P best grappler in the world, Marcelo Garcia had a tough time.

I agree. I have been training in judo for a little while and it is VERY rough on the body. Far more so than BJJ and even boxing IMO. I call it crash test dummy class....However I thought Nastula looked VERY good in Pride for being a complete novice in MMA and hanging in there w/ prime Noguiera and Barnett the way he did. He didn't look young either.
2/27/10 11:49 AM
Joe Cav

World Championship Fighting®, President

World Championship Fighting 9

Rich Hawn def. Tom Gallicchio via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

John Benoit def. Noah Weisman via unanimous decision (20-18, 20-18, 20-18)

Stephen Stengel def. Mike Zichelle via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:09

Jamie Campbell def. Andrew Nelson via TKO – Round 1, 1:21

Dan Bonnell def. Cesario de Souza via KO – Round 1, :32

Matt Martin def. Peter Cole via submission – Round 1, 1:40

Carlos Lovato def. Jerry Spiegel via TKO – Round 1, 3:15

Robby Roberts def. Buster Crandell (arm-bar) – Round 1, 2:08

Joel Ly def. Steve Beck via submission (triangle) – Round 1, 3:19

Nelson Gaipo def. Matt Johnson via submission (triangle) – Round 1, :35

2/27/10 12:28 PM
johntucker100

karo should not even be talked about as a judoka...rick hawn has 1000 times better judo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.