UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Is Wolfpack BJJ association a scam?

2/26/10 10:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
texheartscoffee
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/27/10 8:29 AM

just wondering the lineage and why they have aligned with a tkd mcdojo? 
2/27/10 8:51 AM
Empire
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for some fucking answers!!!!!

now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what is wolfpack bjj?
2/27/10 10:27 AM
klif
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Speaking completely as an outsider who was friends with one of those chain TKD instructors who's organization joined Wolfpack:

Wolfpack is a legit jiu-jitsu school/team under Charles Dos Anjos. Somewhere along the way he teamed up with Larry Shealy and they developed the BJJ program they sold to the ITA chain of taekwondo schools. They are all part of "Wolfpack" now. As far as I know, the jiujitsu in the TKD schools are run by a bunch of tkd instructors that went to a three day "instructor" seminar and teach the BJJ class wearing their BJJ gis and TKD black belts.

So those from Dos Anjos' schools are 100% legit. Those from the TKD schools....your mileage may vary....
2/27/10 12:05 PM
villageidiot

Are the TKD instructors up-front with this info or do they let new students assume they are BJJ blackbelts?
2/27/10 12:23 PM
Resident A Hole
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

klif - As far as I know, the jiujitsu in the TKD schools are run by a bunch of tkd instructors that went to a three day "instructor" seminar and teach the BJJ class wearing their BJJ gis and TKD black belts.

Now that really pisses me off. Why would any legit BJJ coach do this?
2/27/10 12:45 PM
mjm345
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was a brown belt, I went to the wolfpack bjj place by my house and tried to train there. I told them I was a brown belt and I lived around the corner and wanted to train. I even offered to pay a mat fee. They wouldn't let me train. They were all wearing bjj gis and black belts and were visibly unhappy with my presence.
2/27/10 1:27 PM
jackel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ones in Chattanooga are a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!1

Mickey Swafford
2/27/10 3:22 PM
bonez05

Good rule of thumb in life / jiu jitsu

If you have to ask yourself if something is a scam, it generally is.
2/27/10 3:48 PM
texheartscoffee

I Went to a wolfpack last thurs. the only way they would let us train is if we had no prior jiu-jitsu experience.  A friend of mine and I went in, lied about our experience, warmed up wrong, and after they trusted we were total newbies they began to "teach" us some horribly bad/wrong jiujitsu and the 3 stripe purple belt teaching could not make any techniques work on us.  The instructor asked us if we watched the ufc, produced a photo of him with Royce that was about 15 yrs. old and explained how he regularly flew out to Torrence, trained at the Gracie Academy, and was really close with Royce. He also trained with Rorion, Rickson ("if you don't know him he is one of the greatest NHB fighters of all time" he said), and a plethora of other jiu-jitsu greats.  We have a five day free membership and hopefully i'll get to roll with him on Tuesday.  I made this post to see if I was dealing with a lone snake oil salesman or if there was a jiu-jitsu conspiracy being plotted against us.

2/27/10 3:51 PM
texheartscoffee

klif - Speaking completely as an outsider who was friends with one of those chain TKD instructors who's organization joined Wolfpack:

Wolfpack is a legit jiu-jitsu school/team under Charles Dos Anjos. Somewhere along the way he teamed up with Larry Shealy and they developed the BJJ program they sold to the ITA chain of taekwondo schools. They are all part of "Wolfpack" now. As far as I know, the jiujitsu in the TKD schools are run by a bunch of tkd instructors that went to a three day "instructor" seminar and teach the BJJ class wearing their BJJ gis and TKD black belts.

So those from Dos Anjos' schools are 100% legit. Those from the TKD schools....your mileage may vary....
Thats a very fine line to run and maintain legitimacy. IMO

2/27/10 4:01 PM
HoldYerGround
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royce trains regularly at Gracie Torrence?
2/27/10 4:03 PM
texheartscoffee

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!
2/28/10 2:02 AM
Alabama Man
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/28/10 12:28 PM
Apparently the BJJ is taught by an ultrabad and street lethal GRANDMASTER. He wears a 3 stripe purple belt and can't do an elbow escape.

I am not sure how white belts are wearing purple belts but something tells me money is involved.
2/28/10 2:48 AM
ShootGuy

Who... would put their name on this? Charles Dos Anjos really? What the hell?

What was going through there heads? Did they think they would get away with this? I guess they kinda are. Nation wide dojo storm?

When... did this seem like a legit idea?

Where... did I get the idea put in my head to train 10 years for my BJJ Black Belt when I could do what they did?

Why... Do people think they can get away with it?

How... do we stop them? National wide dojo storm

Way to ruin BJJ
2/28/10 2:52 AM
ShootGuy

Rick Hall's website says 15 years of BJJ and a certified instructor.

What the hell does that mean?

Rank?
2/28/10 2:56 AM
ShootGuy

And what the hell about plastering Karate all over the outside of the building.

If you teach TKD why are you so ashamed of it that you use another styles name.

So much of this crap going on now... everyone teaches MMA just because they are mixing their tma styles together.

grrrrr.
2/28/10 3:44 AM
motzok

bonez05 - Good rule of thumb in life / jiu jitsu

If you have to ask yourself if something is a scam, it generally is.

Up 'ere, when you engage in what the federal government calls "illegal activity" but what we call "a man tryin' to make a livin' for his family sellin' moonshine liquor," it behooves oneself to keep his wits. Long story short, we hear a story too good to be true... it ain't.
2/28/10 12:49 PM
Alabama Man
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please no one contact Grandmaster Hall till after Tuesday.
2/28/10 12:52 PM
texheartscoffee

ShootGuy - 

How... do we stop them? National wide dojo storm

Way to ruin BJJ

2/28/10 1:05 PM
texheartscoffee

We were going to dojo storm our local tkd/ wolfpack affiliate on Saturday but the head instructor "Grand Master Rick Hall" was unfortunately at the country club playing golf.  His sign outside actually says "GRACIE JIU-JITSU ACADEMY" !!!!!!!!!!!!
2/28/10 3:20 PM
UncannySage
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Probably one of the largest jiu jitsu fraud schemes I've ever seen.

Hundreds,if not more, of these ITA (www.itaonline.com) Tae Kwon Do schools are now selling their Jiu Jitsu programs all over the country. A majority of the websites typically feature Tae Kwon Do instructors in jiu jitsu gis wearing their Tae Kwon do black belts. Virtually none have any experience what so ever in actually training Jiu Jitsu except for the certification that the ITA sells to their franchises.

If you're interested in seeing what type of shenanigans are going on in your neck of the woods check here: http://www.itaonline.com/find-academy.aspx
2/28/10 10:50 PM
FJJ828

Edited: 02/28/10 10:54 PM
NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C., Owner
Charles is totally legit as far as a BJJ Black Belt and has trained some really good people, including Steve Hall. I can't comment on the Wolfpack business thing as I don't know anything about the ITA schools and how they are using the program or what quality controls are supposed to be in place.

I see also that the ITA schools are also affiliated with CDT... hmmmmmmmm.
2/28/10 11:05 PM
joshjitsu

Yes it's the complete watering down of Bjj. We have one of these TKD Plus places 2 miles down the road from another academy that Ricco Rodriguez teaches at full time. So I cannot understand why this place has even one student....they do though... These poor saps are paying these Blue belts when they have a former ADCC/UFC champ 2 miles down the road.I want to just walk in there and explain to their "students" that they are being robbed.
2/28/10 11:08 PM
joshjitsu

FJJ828 - Charles is totally legit as far as a BJJ Black Belt and has trained some really good people, including Steve Hall. I can't comment on the Wolfpack business thing as I don't know anything about the ITA schools and how they are using the program or what quality controls are supposed to be in place.

I see also that the ITA schools are also affiliated with CDT... hmmmmmmmm.

The guy may be legit but he's obviously a sellout because he's gotta know what he's doing is helping destroy the legitamecy of one of the few martial arts that a blackbelt still means something.
3/1/10 1:35 AM
Alabama Man

Do any of you guys go to the TKD affiliate schools and ask to roll with their guys?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.