UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rumor: Toney to debut vs Kimbo April 17th

3/5/10 1:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Carmichael Dave
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CBS Radio Network, Show Host -The MMAsh

Rumor:

James Toney will make his MMA debut April 17th against Kimbo Slice at Vanderbilt Arena in Tennessee. Mike Swick will fight Matt Serra in the main event.

The fight would air on Spike TV, according to the rumor.

With the Strikeforce card happening the same night, in the same state, this constitutes the first real nuclear bomb that Dana White and Zuffa would drop on their organization, should it be true.

I had Yahoo's Kevin Iole on my radio show just a few minutes ago, and asked him about the rumor. His response: "I think you hit a home run with that one, that's what I've been hearing."

More to come....

I'm on the air until midnight Pacific, feel free to listen at khtk.com, or call in at 1-800-920-1140. Follow me on Twitter @carmichaeldave

Thanks all...

3/5/10 1:43 AM
Done Dotta
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If they don't make Kimbo vs Toney the main, someone in Zuffa is on crack
3/5/10 1:45 AM
Cousin Oliver

Vanderbilt is not just in the same state, but the same city.
3/5/10 1:51 AM
jaysonv2277

Cousin Oliver - Vanderbilt is not just in the same state, but the same city.

Literally within 10 blocks of each other, it would be fucking nuts.
3/5/10 1:52 AM
ECWCock

Nope, can't be.  Timmay didn't say it first.
3/5/10 1:56 AM
Done Dotta

Thunderlips The Ultimate Male - Strikeforce should just postpone the show to a later date.

yep
D_S_A

Thunderlips The Ultimate Male - Strikeforce should just postpone the show to a later date.

yeah, its sad that legitimate MMA fights would get blown out of the water by Dana's freakshow

kawz1
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Strikeforce, but they are going to get crushed. DW is really looking to take 'em out.
3/5/10 1:59 AM
orcus

Edited: 03/05/10 2:00 AM
Maybe it's just me, but Swick vs Serra has got to be the absolute worst main event matchup in UFC history. 
3/5/10 2:01 AM
jaysonv2277

I seriously Doubt this rumor. Toney keeps talking like he's fighting in June, but he's expecting to BOX in April.
3/5/10 2:17 AM
GNPfan
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

K-Dub-"T" -  too soon for toney to get ready....

Agreed! No way Toney can be ready by April 17th. Why start the rumor mill when it's totally obvious that Toney can't be ready by that date? June is more like it!
smoogy
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Considering the two people vouching for this rumour, it is a good bet the "source" is a deliberate leak from Zuffa, if not Dana White himself. Doesn't necessarily mean it is true though.
jshtempe

swick vs serra? swick is coming off a couple losses, serra a good win. Why would swick get a main event? Also this just in: Kimbo is not very good at mma. This sounds like a bad event. That strikeforce card should be way better
3/5/10 2:21 AM
Bonedog
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has Toney been training anywhere before or during the negotiations with Zuffa? Maybe just keeping it on the DL to try to surprise everyone?

If not, a month and a half to go from boxing to MMA is a huuuuuugggee stretch. Even if he's just fighting Kimbo. Kimbo's had about a year of training at ATT. (Assuming he's been putting his time in)
3/5/10 2:34 AM
Lynchman
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Serra/Swick is not going to be the main event and I would doubt Toney would be on this card. Kimbo?? Maybe, but not Toney.
3/5/10 2:36 AM
Marco808

I still think the SF April card blows anything the UFC will counter out of the water, in terms of quality fights and storylines: Hendo's debut, Aoki vs Melendez, etc.

Probably won't show in the ratings, which is a bummer, but I think this is the best MMA card in a long time and better than any upcoming UFC card (with the exception of the Abu Dhabi card with BJ and Anderson).
3/5/10 2:42 AM
orcus

" I think this is the best MMA card in a long time"

Three fights, one of them between a top 5 middleweight and a guy who is not top 10, is the  best MMA card in a long time?
3/5/10 2:43 AM
Fugazi

This doesn't pass the nose test.

But i've been wrong before.
3/5/10 2:47 AM
GNPfan
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smoogy - Considering the two people vouching for this rumour, it is a good bet the "source" is a deliberate leak from Zuffa, if not Dana White himself. Doesn't necessarily mean it is true though.

True, that! Not a fan of either Carmichael or Lole. Carmichael rep was ruined with the whole Fedor debacle.
3/5/10 2:51 AM
Marco808

orcus -  " I think this is the best MMA card in a long time"

Three fights, one of them between a top 5 middleweight and a guy who is not top 10, is the  best MMA card in a long time?

Depends on how you look at it, I guess. I see 3 title fights, the debut one of of my favorite fighters, the DREAM LW champ vs the SF LW champ, Mousasai vs a real up-and-comer. Hell, throw in a possible fight with Canseco and Walker (gotta love those freak show fights), and yeah, I think so. YMMV
3/5/10 3:57 AM
Slowbie

Musashi - 
Marco808 - I still think the SF April card blows anything the UFC will counter out of the water, in terms of quality fights and storylines: Hendo's debut, Aoki vs Melendez, etc.

I agree.

How many non hardcore fans really know who Aoki is? Casual fans might of heard of him, but I doubt hes going to draw what you're thinking.
3/5/10 4:01 AM
Gullivers Travels
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't believe they'd have Toney fight roughly 50 days after being signed. He needs a ton of work
3/5/10 4:05 AM
roadblock

Wait a minute. How many people work for the Tennessee Athletic Commission? How do they have the personnel to do two major shows in one night?
3/5/10 2:11 PM
Hus

TTT
3/5/10 2:17 PM
Sortilege
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

>>> Wait a minute. How many people work for the Tennessee Athletic Commission? How do they have the personnel to do two major shows in one night? <<<

They have like 10 and I know all of them by their first name. No way they put the show in TN on the same night, just not enough inspectors.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.