UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Stickfighting helmet...

3/6/10 5:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BigSifu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey,
I'm looking to get into the realm of painful stick sparring. I've been doing Actionflex sparring for awhile,but I want to go all out and taste the rattan.

Safety is important,I don't think I'll ever make Dog Brother. So what do you think,Fencing Helmet,Sabre Helmet,or WEKAF style helmet?
3/6/10 5:59 AM
phauna

Probably start with a wekaf if you are going with rattan. At least as a beginner it's safer, however try not to get belted in the head indiscriminately. I mean, act like you don't have a helmet on, act as if one good, clean shot to your head would put you out. Too many regular wekaf sparring practitioners just wade in to middle distance and start banging away at each others' domes. After a while you might like to go with one of those TKD with a face cage type masks, and if you're hardcore then go a fencing helmet.

tl;dr - Start well protected and progressively shuck gear. Act as if you have no gear on at all.
3/6/10 9:28 PM
Calbert

I use a sabre fencing helmet, and some of the guys wear the more regular minimal helmet. Like phauna said, the important thing is that whatever you use you respect the shot and train as though you had no equipment and it's not safe to take any kind of hit. Good luck!
3/7/10 6:01 AM
BigSifu

I got some sweet 3 weapons masks off Amazon today-I'll let you know how that goes!

I was a PFS (ish) guy. I found that the emphasis on hand shots makes people stick their heads out!

Anyway,I plan on starting with live Rattan at 60% and work up...
3/12/10 11:58 PM
Burton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JKDU--MMA For The Street, BJJ, Kali, President
Start with small diameter rattan as well, and work up to the heftier sticks as you increase the intensity.
3/13/10 12:30 AM
OneScoup

Don't be a pussy, go naked. You can't develop the budo until you've welted another man's bare ass in battle.
3/13/10 5:08 AM
BigSifu

Burton - Start with small diameter rattan as well, and work up to the heftier sticks as you increase the intensity.

I was planning on starting with 7/8" X 28",should I go lighter?

I got my 3 weapons masks last night-very sturdy! I got them (thru Amazon) from a place called Physical Chess. Fast shipping & good service-I recommend them!
3/14/10 10:48 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fencing helmets are what I've always used. 3 weapons masks are good. We've always used 1" diameter sticks that are 26" long.

I start people off with wood for solo training and impact training. When they start sparring I have them use both padded batons and wood. When the get better it's all wood. Then we mix the knives, sticks, projectiles, chains, padded baseball bats etc all together.

The pics on this page kinda shows the progression:

http://www.demibarbito.com/suddenimpact.html

Demi

www.DemiBarbito.com
3/14/10 6:25 PM
BigSifu

I'm still wainting on my gloves from KIL(www.bloodsport.com).

While I'm here...
Do you think the "de-fang" stuff is a bit over-rated? It seems like people can take AMAZING punishment sometimes before going down...or dropping their stick/knife.(it'll be a cold day in hell before I'm in a "knife fight")
3/16/10 11:17 AM
New2MMA
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigSifu 
While I'm here...
Do you think the "de-fang" stuff is a bit over-rated? It seems like people can take AMAZING punishment sometimes before going down...or dropping their stick/knife.(it'll be a cold day in hell before I'm in a "knife fight")

I don't think that it's overrated, but I think that people should consider how their opponent is going to react to such a strike and consider how they would follow up to the opening that they may create after doing the hand shot. Expecting to stand in largo range and pop the hand over and over is a fallacy, and one that will get your head taken off by the opponent charging in at you. However, I think it's a good shot given the opportunity, and I think that largo is a 'safer' range to play in than the others. Anyway, just my $0.02
3/17/10 12:17 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"""Do you think the "de-fang" stuff is a bit over-rated?"""

That's not the way to think about it. When you are teaching a beginner they should be taught that "You attack the target you are presented with".

The stick itself is a viable target when dealing with impact weapons. Then the hand. Peoples sticks and hands are going to be offered to you in stickfighting so they should be taken off with every opportunity.

Also, the punishment factor is subjective. When fighting with rattan and hockey gloves it's one thing. When it's an unprotected hand and a metal pipe it's another.

It's like a jab in boxing. Jabs don't drop people as a rule BUT jabs are VERY important! Train to use your best options and then do what is expedient at the moment.

Demi
3/17/10 1:03 PM
shoe

I've taken sticks out of the other guys hand with a good shot to the stick...and like Demi said, unprotected hand is a different deal with defanging. Finally, to follow the jab analogy, practice following up from the hand shot, ie, shuffle in, take a shot at the hand, and then explode forward and go for the neck/head if he/she moves the hand to avoid the first hit.
3/17/10 9:57 PM
BigSifu

Some really good info on this thread! Thanks to all for the interest.

I got the K.I.L. gloves,they are much thinner than hockey gloves (yay). Wacked myself on the hand to test them,and I FELT it around the index finger area... DFTS would work on that glove...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.