UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> MESSI!

3/6/10 9:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Flying Gogo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watched Barcelona play today. I'm just now starting to watch soccer and really understand it and I had heard all about this 22 year old named Lionel Messi who plays for FC Barcelona. First game I watch of him, he goes for 2 goals in a game against Almeria. A beautfiul free kick he lobbed over the defending wall and in the upper corner of the net, and later he was on the rebound of a shot from either Xavi or Iniesta and put it back in. (Game finished in a tie though, despite Barcelona being without Pique.)

ANYWAY...since there appears to be quite a few people on the OG who are fans of football (soccer), I figured I would ask: Is Messi the best? Opinions on who is...
3/9/10 10:46 AM
Govnor

right now, I'd say general opinion is that he is the best.
3/10/10 9:50 AM
invalid
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's so weird that he's already been around for so long and is still on 22. Scary to think how good he'll get :/
3/10/10 10:27 AM
Pinback
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First time I saw him play was during the U-20 WC in 2005. I have never seen one player have that big of an impact in a single game, let alone an entire tournament.

3/10/10 12:14 PM
invalid
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gorilla Shark - same can be said for Rooney

True
3/11/10 9:59 AM
Govnor

I'm just waiting for Rooney to get injured right before the WC....it's going to happen and everyone knows it!
3/11/10 11:14 AM
Govnor

I didn't watch the game at all. Hadn't heard much about the pitch, but every stadium that encloses so much of the seating like that has a horrible pitch, there is nothing (it seems) that can be done about it. Grass needs Sun and circulation of air, stadiums like Wembley just don't allow it.
3/11/10 8:51 PM
Clichy
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gorilla Shark - 
Govnor -  I didn't watch the game at all. Hadn't heard much about the pitch, but every stadium that encloses so much of the seating like that has a horrible pitch, there is nothing (it seems) that can be done about it. Grass needs Sun and circulation of air, stadiums like Wembley just don't allow it.

they could learn from American football stadiums. fake grass ftw.<br type="_moz" />

MLS plays on that crap, it is fucking terrible.

They need the Arsenal groundskeepers to take a look at the pitch. The Emirates pitch is always perfect. Then again, the stadium was designed with the pitch in mind and, obviously, Wembley wasn't.
3/12/10 6:50 AM
invalid

I'm sure this doesn't help:

http://www.wembleystadium.com/NR/rdonlyres/B16DB6F8-D62C-4124-B4E8-F2D13FEFE9C0/0/ROC.jpg

3/14/10 12:42 AM
Jwizard

What makes Messi better than C. Ronaldo?
3/14/10 12:52 PM
Pinback
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jwizard - What makes Messi better than C. Ronaldo?

Over the past two seasons he has produced better numbers and he's only 5'7".
3/14/10 1:18 PM
1 2 3 ACE
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/14/10 1:19 PM
My personal preference:

1) Wayne Rooney
2) Cristiano Ronaldo
3) Lionel Messi

Messi is a special player, but he lacks the physicality of the other two. Depends on personal preference though, some would still say he's the best purely because his technique is so immense.

The best player in my lifetime of watching football is Zinedine Zidane.
3/18/10 10:53 AM
Govnor

This thread is timely. Messi is on fire right now.

Messi>everyone else

not even a debate

3/18/10 11:33 AM
Clichy
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Govnor -  This thread is timely. Messi is on fire right now.

Messi>everyone else

not even a debate

Messi is head and shoulders better than any other player n the planet right now. His last two games have been amazing.
3/18/10 12:07 PM
invalid

What I don't understand is how he's still so good in the air around the goal.

W
T
F
3/18/10 12:32 PM
1 2 3 ACE
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I take it those saying there's no contest haven't seen much of Wayne Rooney this season. He's been unstoppable. And in a worse side. Barcelona are loaded with special players, whereas Rooney runs the show at Manchester Utd. Messi doesn't have to play with people like Nani, Gibson, Anderson etc(!)

Sure you can make the argument that Messi is the best, no doubt, but you cannot disregard the special season Rooney is having.

Just noticed Gerrard is 9th on that list! Never in a million years. An overrated player having a truly terrible season. And a complete and utter diving/cheating tosser just to round it all off.
3/18/10 12:49 PM
Govnor

I think everyone here is aware of Rooney's season to be fair. More will not know about Messi. EPL is followed much more closely here.

Messi has skills that literally no other player has, the combination of speed, quick feet and changes of direction that defy physics are unplayable. Rooney is an incredible finisher having a great season, but there are other great finishers out there that you could compare, Drog, Torres etc.
3/18/10 2:21 PM
Govnor

Adebayor weighs in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danwalker/2010/02/adebayor_chat_bowls_me_over.html
3/18/10 2:35 PM
Clichy

Govnor - Adebayor weighs in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danwalker/2010/02/adebayor_chat_bowls_me_over.html<br type="_moz" />

Ade is a cunt.
3/18/10 3:22 PM
Govnor

Clichy - 
Govnor - Adebayor weighs in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danwalker/2010/02/adebayor_chat_bowls_me_over.html<br type="_moz" />

Ade is a cunt.
You seem upset? LOL.

And yes, he does appear to be!

3/18/10 6:12 PM
1 2 3 ACE

Govnor -  I think everyone here is aware of Rooney's season to be fair. More will not know about Messi. EPL is followed much more closely here.

Messi has skills that literally no other player has, the combination of speed, quick feet and changes of direction that defy physics are unplayable. Rooney is an incredible finisher having a great season, but there are other great finishers out there that you could compare, Drog, Torres etc.

As great as Drogba and Torres are, they don't bring anywhere near as much to the table as Rooney. He has it all, he can do it all. This season has just seen him put it all together, even weaknesses like his discipline and heading ability seem to be long gone now.

I agree with the comment about Messi, I think that's the key point for arguing that he is the very best. He's technically incredible.

I think Adebayor is misunderstood up to a point. But it's hard to argue that he doesn't behave like a bit of a cock in some games. He was being a complete bellend in the Arsenal match at Eastlands, it was hilarious.
3/19/10 8:14 AM
invalid

1 2 3 ACE - As great as Drogba and Torres are, they don't bring anywhere near as much to the table as Rooney.

What about hair?
3/19/10 9:55 AM
Govnor

invalid - 
1 2 3 ACE - As great as Drogba and Torres are, they don't bring anywhere near as much to the table as Rooney.

What about hair?

LOL. Great start to my OG'ing day!
3/21/10 11:23 PM
Pinback

Another hat-trick for Messi today. That's 8 goals in his last 3 games... Unreal.
3/22/10 12:26 AM
ajc1984

Messi is the best in the world and has the potential to go down as the greatest ever.

Ronaldo is a step or 2 behind him but also has the potential to join the list of all-time greats.

Rooney is in a group of players below those 2 who (as is the case this season) is able to elevate himself to near their level when performing at his absolute peak.

What Messi is doing right now we've not really seen anyone do since Maradona in his heydey. What Rooney is doing is a fairly regular occurrence. In fact every year in England we see a player hit a sustained run of good form and the English media rush to proclaim them the best in the world. This time last year it was Gerrard. The season before that it was Ronaldo and Torres. Who knows which Premiership player will be "the best player in the world" next season.

Rooney is a great player performing at a level far higher than any he's previously shown... and he's still being comfortably outshone by Messi. The boy is phenomenal.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.