UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> need a english translation of "ohaayy"

3/8/10 2:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vengence
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

from when we kick, and say "ohaayy"..... just need a english translation.

i know with Portuguese ... 'boa' means good.
3/9/10 3:20 AM
vengence
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
3/9/10 2:55 PM
vengence

hi
3/9/10 4:38 PM
Somerville Bad Boy
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

take that, take that, take that....
P-Diddy
3/9/10 9:46 PM
Jake Steinmann
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sityodtong Muay Thai, Trainer
Good shot Red Two!

(Seriously, I don't think there's a translation. I think it's just a noise people make. But I could be wrong. It happened once before, back in '88...)
3/10/10 7:46 AM
Khun Kao
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/10/10 7:49 AM
Like saying "OLÉ" en Español?
3/10/10 3:25 PM
vengence

Khun..

It'd be like "Ohh-A" with the A being a hard sounding A.

its most off kicks and knees when said, or the crowd shouts it.

just was looking for a literal translation
3/11/10 7:35 AM
Khun Kao
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vengence....

LOL, I know how it's pronounced, I was just wondering if it's a Thai equivalent to Spanish speakers shouting "OLÉ" at sporting events....
3/11/10 2:33 PM
vengence

ohhhh my apologies
3/11/10 9:32 PM
Rick Screeton
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its an exaggeration of "OUCH!"
3/15/10 8:36 PM
Crush Crawfish
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the English translation is "WOOOOO!"

3/16/10 3:20 AM
Prik Khee Noo

Rick Screeton is right. It's an exaggerated "Ouch".
3/19/10 1:40 PM
Chalupa
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/lost_soul347/Funny%20Pics/JeepBrah.jpg
4/25/10 11:13 AM
Savitar
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The fighter landed a very hard strike against his opponent"

4/26/10 8:31 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Or they landed a weak strike and they want to make it seem strong :)
4/28/10 12:43 AM
SanshiroSugata
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Oh. Hey. Good kick and/or knee."
5/7/10 1:13 PM
The Sultan
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder.

Just sounds like a rehearsed cheer when someone lands a nice shot.....or apparently nice shot.
5/20/10 1:30 AM
puss'nmitts
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I bet 100 baht on red so I'm going to yell really loud to make it seem like he's winning"
5/20/10 9:44 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seems to work in NYC also...
5/22/10 9:54 AM
ryangruhn
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Central PA MMA, Owner / Head Instr.
 "Ohhhhhhhhh SNAP!"
5/30/10 1:19 AM
Perry H

I've been living in Thailand for way too long now.

Thais say "ohaayy!" to just about anything. It's basically like "WOW!" If you whip out a new Iphone they'll also say "Ohaayy!"

It's doesn't stop there though... Thais also have many other silly sounds that Thai's like to use repeatedly.

O-hoeeee! - whoa!
O-hoeeeeiiii - A shocked whoa
aaaaaaWWWWW - Okay. Now I understand.
aaaahh-OO - huh?
A-lie-wha? - What the hell?
dao dao dao - hold on, wait a minute

I hear these all day long where I teach English. There's many more, but I have to think of them.
5/31/10 2:14 AM
vengence

thank you very much.

is rosetta stone a decent program i can pick up to learn thai?
6/1/10 8:39 AM
Khun Kao

vengence -
is rosetta stone a decent program i can pick up to learn thai?

In my experience, Rosetta Stone is good to use if you already understand some of the basics of the language you are studying. It's good for teaching you to have some conversational ability in the language.

For instance, I already had a basic level of reading/writing/speaking Spanish. I started using Rosetta Stone and my in-laws (Salvadorians) were all amazed at how much my Spanish improved when I was using the program.

I'm finding the same thing with the Thai Rosetta Stone. Because I already have a basic understanding of how the Thai language works, if I were to start using my Thai Rosetta Stone program, I know I'd be able to use it somewhat successfully. If you're genuinely interested, it would be best to use it if you have a friend/acquaintance that is fluent in Thai so you can practice with them. I have Thai Rosetta Stone, but I don't really use it because I don't currently get to talk or hang out with anyone who speaks Thai, so it would pretty much be a waste of my time.

I have almost all the Rosetta Stone courses, and I've experimented with a number of the other languages, just to see what they're like. For instance, I was checking out Danish because one of my in-laws speaks it. Holy crap, that's one fucked up language! With nothing for me to base it on, I couldn't even grasp basic pronunciations...
6/1/10 10:28 AM
Perry H

khun kao, why don't you start eating at Thai restaurants? You could order food in Thai and maybe flirt with a cute Thai waitress. It'll at least give you an excuse to learn a little more Thai. At least in my city (back home in Milwaukee) there are lots of Thai restaurants. Maybe your city is different though. You might be able to find at least one.
6/1/10 11:04 AM
Khun Kao

Its not an issue of me not eating at Thai restaurants. I do that, already. I don't think my wife would appreciate me flirting with the waitresses, though.

I know how to order most of my food in Thai, but that level of conversation only carries you so far. My wife and I are good friends with the owner of our favorite Thai restaurant (I've been going there for 20 years now) and we sometimes converse in Thai, but he has a business to run and I can't monopolize his or his staff's time because I'm trying to practice Thai.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.