UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> need a english translation of "ohaayy"

6/3/10 11:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I downloaded Rosetta Stone for Thai after I came back from Thailand last summer. I breezed though it easy. Even the words I didn't know, I was able to figure out quickly. I doubt I could do it now because I have not practiced speaking Thai in a while.
6/4/10 1:05 AM
vengence
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

did you find it for free?
6/4/10 10:11 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes
6/4/10 1:43 PM
vengence
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh oh ohohohoh where????
6/4/10 7:01 PM
Ryukyu Damashi

I ust did a search for "rosetta stone torrent"
6/5/10 3:42 AM
Perry H
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Khun Kao, Okay. I guess your situation is different than I thought. That's the problem with learning a language that isn't common in your country. It take away your incentive to learn.

Watching movies in Thai would not be a good incentive either. They are REALLY bad.
6/5/10 12:15 PM
Khun Kao
914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its all good. It's kinda disappointing, but not surprising, that the Thai community does not take much interest in Muay Thai. I *rarely* ever have anyone of Thai descent in my classes, and many local businesses or organizations owned by Thai's don't seem to be very interested in supporting Muay Thai either.

So yeah, like you said... I don't really have much of an incentive to learn/practice the language.
6/6/10 7:43 PM
vengence

wow thats interesting to hear.

where are you located at?
6/7/10 8:40 AM
Khun Kao
914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Washington, DC

I'm sure part of the problem is that I'm a farang, and even though I often know Muay Thai better than they do, they just aren't willing to take me too seriously. So when I attempt to approach Thai businesses regarding fight events, or advertising my gym, I'm sure they have problems taking me seriously.
6/7/10 5:46 PM
OctaviousBP

Perry H - 

Watching movies in Thai would not be a good incentive either. They are REALLY bad.

That's a bit of a generalization isn't it? A Thai film won the Palme d'Or this year...
6/8/10 5:03 AM
OUTCOLD
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/08/10 5:04 AM
Khun Kao - Washington, DC

I'm sure part of the problem is that I'm a farang, and even though I often know Muay Thai better than they do, they just aren't willing to take me too seriously. So when I attempt to approach Thai businesses regarding fight events, or advertising my gym, I'm sure they have problems taking me seriously.

Thats strange coz the thais in my area are very supportive of our Muay Thai and do what ever they can to help!
You do come across as kind of a "know it all" in all your posts !! maybe thats the problem ? its you and not the Thais?
6/8/10 6:55 PM
Khun Kao

OUTCOLD - 

Thats strange coz the thais in my area are very supportive of our Muay Thai and do what ever they can to help!
You do come across as kind of a "know it all" in all your posts !! maybe thats the problem ? its you and not the Thais?

Meh, who knows? Maybe you're right....
6/17/10 9:14 AM
Perry H

OctaviousBP, there are SOME good Thai movies, but the problem is Thailand doesn't have the money to invest in good movie production. Most of the good ones are co-produced with foreign movie companies. A movie that is 100% Thai will also involve lots of over acting. Come to Thailand and watch a few, you'll know what I mean.

Khun Kao, even here in Thailand Thais are not that into Muay Thai. It's either for people who want to gamble or for poor construction workers who want to try and earn a quick $100. If you see it on Thai TV the seats are usually close to empty. The only time I see any interest in Muay Thai is on the weekend when people bet on who is going to win. The national sport SHOULD actually be soccer. People here bet on soccer too, but they at least love to play the game as well. I can't go to a park without seeing like six games being played at once. ...that or Badminton.
6/17/10 10:01 AM
Normal MT

Perry H - OctaviousBP, there are SOME good Thai movies, but the problem is Thailand doesn't have the money to invest in good movie production. Most of the good ones are co-produced with foreign movie companies. A movie that is 100% Thai will also involve lots of over acting. Come to Thailand and watch a few, you'll know what I mean.

I'm visiting NC and going to a gym here in Fayettevile, needed something to eat so I stop at my favorite Thai Resturant. The guy has Thai Music Video's going constantly and this one chick, Katalina, maybe damn she is terrible but it's her backup dancers that are hilarious. I sat there for an hour while I ate and watched this "shit" and couldnt beleive the level of the profession. Are these really the people that invented Muay Thai, because they cant dance worth a shit, and the guys in the numbers couldnt get into a school play let alone a music video.

Wow, I just re-read that and it sounds really romo, but still, Thai video is totally bad.
6/17/10 10:21 AM
Khun Kao

That has been my thought as well. For instance, a few years ago I partnered up with a Thai Tennis Organization to promote a Muay Thai event at an Asian Festival. While the Thai organizations did provide the venue, they really didn't do much else to step up to the plate to assist in the event. Heck, I had even brought in Kaensak Sor. Pleonchit as a special guest for the event, and despite our advertising efforts, the Thai community and media barely took notice.

Singha was the major sponsor, and they did provide funding for some of the fight promotion expenses and the #2 guy in the corporation was at ringside and presented fighters with their trophies and medals, so THAT was really, really cool. But as a whole, the Thai community didn't seem to take notice. I mean, we were at a HUGE event for the Asian Community in DC with thousands of Thai's in attendance at the festival itself, but the Muay Thai demos and fight event didn't otherwise get much support from the Thai community. It really felt weird. I honestly thought they Thai community would be excited for the event.

There were a few die-hard fans of Kaensak who showed up and waited in line to meet him, but all-in-all it was a surprising disappointment. I really thought the Thai community would CARE....

As an extension of that same issue, my other fight events have garnered even LESS support from the Thai community. I was the only guy promoting Muay Thai events in the Washington DC area at that time, and one of the only people promoting Muay Thai shows in the entire state. For instance, I was the first to promote a FULL RULES Muay Thai event in Virginia. You'd think that this would interest the Thai community, but it really hasn't.

I'm sure part of the issue I'm facing is that I don't believe I'm plugged into the right "elements" of the Thai community. The contacts that I have just aren't the right people to reach out to the rest of the local community. I know plenty of Thai people, I just don't seem to know the RIGHT ones....

*sigh* Sorry for the rant. I've got a lot on my mind, not just this
6/17/10 11:12 AM
Ryukyu Damashi

^but you did score like 10 cases of Singha beer at the end of the festival.
6/17/10 1:40 PM
Khun Kao

Ryukyu Damashi - ^but you did score like 10 cases of Singha beer at the end of the festival.

yeah, that was sweeeeeet
6/17/10 3:32 PM
Perry H

Many americans could care less about American football and basketball. It's basically the same thing. Actually I'd say Muay Thai in Thailand is just like NASCAR racing in America. It's big within a certain demographical market. Sadly, I'm not sure the types of Thais you need are living in America. Thais in America can at least speak English and get a plane ticket somehow. People up north and Laos is where most of the real Muay Thai fighters come from and they are dirt poor. I think the main reason they get into it is for money anyway. Pennies for us, but a month's salary for them if they win a fight. That's why you see little to no amateur MT in Thailand. Sadly, the fighters also get half their earnings taken by their gym. Then again, I'm not exactly sure what types of Thais move to America.

If most of the people attending your event are from bangkok, then they're probably not going to be that interested UNLESS you allow betting, lol.
6/17/10 9:42 PM
Khun Kao

^That's a really interesting point. The Washington DC area definitely gets a unique breed, especially in regards to the overall transient nature of our entire area population. And now that you mention it, it does seem that most of the Thai's I know are from the Bangkok area (and surrounding region). Perhaps that is more of a contributing factor than I appreciated....?
6/18/10 5:45 AM
Perry H

There's Bangkok and then there's the rest of Thailand. The money and high paying jobs seems to stay in BKK. That's one of the things the red shirts are mad about. I see first hand how the government puts all the money into BKK government schools. It's really sad and I don't see it ending anytime too.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread into politics. Back to your events.... I just re-read one of your posts. You said you partnered with a Thai tennis organization... tennis is almost a rich man's sport in Thailand. You have to pay to play it at clubs. I haven't seen any open tennis courts like we have in America. You should have partnered with a soccer organization if possible. Anyone can play soccer in Thailand and it has a huge following. MAYBE that would have helped you get the right crowd. I'm also not sure what percentage of the Thai population in your area came. If you already had 95% of the Thai population, the soccer idea might not help. I also know Washington DC is not a cheap place to live which would explain why most of the Thais you know are from BKK.
6/18/10 8:52 AM
OctaviousBP

Perry H - OctaviousBP (...) Come to Thailand and watch a few, you'll know what I mean.

Interesting... I'll try that.

I think, like any other country, Thailand has some amazing directors/actors. I'm thinking of Pen-Ek Ratanaruang and Apichatpong Weerasethakul, for example. Sure there is a lot of cheese (not even considering music videos, though I must admit a guilty pleasure for this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMzd8kSA5EA ..and part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDxaY_oZGI&feature=related), but even some of the cheese is amusing. Somtum for example.

6/19/10 2:14 AM
Perry H

Edited: 06/19/10 2:21 AM
That song from the youtube video you posted was SUPER popular. That's all I heard people playing last year. Music is a totally different story. Thai has a lot of good music and singers, possibly due to the fact their language is tonal.

As for movies though, the humor will also be different than you're used to if you're watching a comedy. Thais like real slapstick humor. Paint falling on someone, getting kicked by an old lady, etc. The facial expressions just don't look natural. I saw one Thai comedy where this kid was taking a shit for like three minutes (they just showed him sitting and making weird faces) and the whole theater went crazy laughing. It's different.

I also saw a Thai "horror" movie where this guy is upset that his dad died when he was five. The whole movie he is screaming, "WHYYYYY!!!" They overact. I have yet to meet a Thai who really enjoys Thai movies. A Thai will usually watch a Thai movie because he or she doesn't speak English or doesn't want to read subtitles on the American movies that they play here.

There ARE some good movies, but they are few and far between. It's usually the fighting movies that are good.
7/17/10 4:37 PM
thesleeper

Now, working in a Thai restaurant would be a good way to practice your Thai...
7/26/10 4:40 PM
yusul
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

one of my fave movies of all time is the pang brothers original bangkok dangerous. the legend of bang rajan was great on the big screen as well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.