UnderGround Forums

Texas Underground >> Boxing/MMA Gyms In San Antonio

3/10/10 2:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mynameisburns
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was training at Castillo's boxing gym in San Antonio, which is closed down now. Can someone recommend a quality boxing gym in town that doesn't cost a fortune every month?

How about an MMA gym? Im looking for a good gym, I just don't want to get KTFO the first practice session. -Thanks
3/10/10 4:59 PM
leothelion

Edited: 03/10/10 5:01 PM
Mynameisburns - I was training at Castillo's boxing gym in San Antonio, which is closed down now. Can someone recommend a quality boxing gym in town that doesn't cost a fortune every month?

How about an MMA gym? Im looking for a good gym, I just don't want to get KTFO the first practice session. -Thanks

Boxing- Randazzo Brothers Boxing gym on Nacodoches rd... Although I have never trained there... I have stopped in on occasion.... and it is always packed when I drive by...and from what I have heard the brothers have trained some of the best boxing contenders in san antonio (sorry I don't have names)....here is their website: http://randazzoboxing.com/

MMA:  I have heard Texas Powerhouse is a good place to train... I do not train there either.... I have heard from the main instructors students that the owner is a really solid coach...not a meathead.   Here is their website:  http://www.texaspowerhouse.com/

As far as Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.    You can't beat were I train on a regular basis   Marra Senki Jiu-Jitsu on Bitters Rd....The head instructor/owner Sergio "Marra" Correa is considered somewhat of the elder statesmen of the BJJ instructors in San Antonio....One of the best technicians in all of BJJ....Although I never train MMA there... they also have MMA classes as well.   Here is his website:  www.marrajj.com

Hope that helps...

Leo 
3/10/10 9:49 PM
Mynameisburns

Thanks! I will try all 3 places! See ya there!
3/10/10 10:34 PM
leothelion

Mynameisburns - Thanks! I will try all 3 places! See ya there!

I generally train on Friday mornings at Marra's... I am the tall old guy in the white Fuji Victory Kimona

Look forward to it... 
3/14/10 7:03 PM
Tabmoc19

I'll second Marra JJ. I am the MMA coach there but I am currently deployed. I will be back in July and the MMA program will again be at 100%.

There are several good places in SA. So check them out and see what is a good fit for you. However, the other place I will always recommend is the Spartan Pit (www.spartanpit.com). Rudy Hernandez is the coach there and one of my fighters. He has a solid kickboxing/muay thai/sub-grappling program there.

Drop my name at either place and they will hook you up...

James Walker
3/15/10 10:57 AM
leothelion

Tabmoc19 - I'll second Marra JJ. I am the MMA coach there but I am currently deployed. I will be back in July and the MMA program will again be at 100%.

There are several good places in SA. So check them out and see what is a good fit for you. However, the other place I will always recommend is the Spartan Pit (www.spartanpit.com). Rudy Hernandez is the coach there and one of my fighters. He has a solid kickboxing/muay thai/sub-grappling program there.

Drop my name at either place and they will hook you up...

James Walker

Yo James....

Thanks for your sacrifices over there...

I am looking forward to maybe taking some MMA classes from you when you get back....

Be safe...and God bless...

leo
3/26/10 3:35 PM
Tabmoc19

Thanks Leo! I look forward to training with you as soon as I get back!
7/27/10 12:30 AM
AndrewChappelle

Check out www.conversemma.com or actionmma.net
7/28/10 12:57 AM
Ryan Cox

I'm sure there's a lot of great places to train down here, but I just started training Jiu-Jitsu at Rodrigo Pinheiro and it's a great place. And it's reasonable. I wanted to train at a Relson affiliate because that's what I've trained back at home, but the one down here was kinda costly so I went elsewhere.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.