UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> firearms q post-TEOTWAWKI

3/10/10 9:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Many sites I've seen and books I've read talk about firearms and their supreme importance in a post-TEOTWAWKI world. My question about this (I live in Canada and while I've shot handguns and rifles, guns are simply not widely available) is where would bullets come from? While gun powder can be improvised, the process of smelting raw metals and machining them into bullets would not be occuring. I think we would return to more of a shotgun and musket world if the event lasted more than 1 yr.

While guns would provide a serious advantage for 0-6 months, once your bullets are gone your advantage is gone and you can't run to the store and get more bullets. I've often told my friends who also spend some time thinking about this stuff that I'll be stalking up on crossbows and short swords since they are easier to maintain.

Thoughts on bullets, black powder and guns post-TEOTWAWKI?

MS
3/10/10 11:51 PM
rolijuju
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have 1000 rounds of .40 caliber that cost me 300 bucks at Walmart. If I'm in a situation where I am shooting 1000 rounds in 6 months I'm dead anyway.
3/10/10 11:54 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

but how long does that last? I seriously have no idea how to judge what 1000 rounds is. If you are defending your home from raiders and hunting game, how many bullets do you need every week?
3/11/10 10:08 PM
martial_shadow

ok, thank you. I had no way to judge.
3/16/10 9:33 PM
Muppetmower88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crossbows are easy to maintain? i suppose, but with alot of shooting even with a compound bow or any bow for that matter the strings and limbs wear down and need replaced. they lose velocity, power, accuracy. and you know how many people reload these days they have stock piles of bullets brass and enough powder and primers to keep a small army supplied. just saying ammunition would be available.
3/18/10 1:05 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First, you have to conserve anything of value that is perishable, and that includes ammunition. Scavenging for valuables (weapons, food, shelter, fuel, etc.) will probably consume your daily life.

Second, you'll need to look for weapons in which you can produce your own ammo. Bows, spears, etc.
4/14/10 5:04 PM
morotetsuke
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cast your own

from lead

4/18/10 12:15 PM
dunc
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

start keeping pre 82 pennies
6/7/10 3:36 PM
KidJustice
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buy blackpowder guns now. Also learn how to cast lead bullets (or any soft metal)

6/7/10 3:37 PM
KidJustice
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1st gun is 
CVA Kodiak 50cal. 28'' Nickel Barrel and Receiver Camo Stock Quake Claw Sling Fiber Optic Sights Model# PR4702N $263.25

2nd gun is

CVA Kodiak 50cal. 28'' Black Barrel and Receiver Fiber Optic Sights Black Synthetic Stock Model# PR4700 $185.00

3rd gun is
CVA OPTIMA 209 50. CAL. MODEL PR2100 WOLF BLACK 24 IN. BARREL FIBER OPTIC SIGHTS BLACK SYNTHETIC STOCK BREAK ACTION $147.50

6/7/10 3:40 PM
KidJustice

www.google.com/imgres

The above is how to load blackpowder

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.