UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> First time practical shooting tonight

3/10/10 10:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Willybone
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy crap. That was fun.
And even though I was forewarned over and over again, it still surprised me how different it felt than target or dry fire practice. Like, suddenly, the same old sights no longer made sense to my brain. I'd draw, get my two hand grip, extend, and then there were dots and targets and lights and I'd have to really mentally work to put them all in order. 

Still, I managed to place in the middle of the group in a few rounds, time and scoring wise.
On the other hand, I am currently being sued by a cardboard hostage with two shoulder wounds.
3/11/10 10:27 AM
Skpotamus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, that hostage shoulda ducked! Besides, they should be thanking you since they only took a flesh wound and you probably saved their life by putting the bad guy down.

Glad you enjoyed it. It's addictive and fun as hell.
3/11/10 10:40 AM
Willybone
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks.
I've been putting in time doing dry fire like you recommended. That came through perfectly in my grip and draw, smooooth, but I think knowing I was "live" made my sighting and triggering practice go out the window.
3/13/10 3:34 AM
Skpotamus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's normal to be jittery the first time you try shooting under stress, and most times after that as well.

The more dry fire you do, the less the jitters will effect your performance. There's a guy named Steve Anderson, who went from an A class shooter, to a grandmaster level shooting over a year by dry firing alone. He has a neat book on dry fire drills, involving multiple targets, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Refinement-Repetition-Dry-fire-Dramatic-Improvement/dp/1930847769 http://www.brianenos.com/dnld/steve_sample.pdf has some sample pages you can download.

Now that you've tried some competition, can you imagine how hard it would be to perform when someone is shooting back and your adrenaline is pumping? It's pretty amazing that people can perform, and perform well under those situations.

Keep practicing and shooting and keep on having fun with it.
4/16/10 5:11 PM
Kai Tremeche
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the tip Skp.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.