UnderGround Forums

MMA Photography UnderGround >> Best camera for mma & boxing photos

3/11/10 9:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thenino
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking to upgrade to a new camera, I'm looking to spend around $700.00. thanks.
3/11/10 7:04 PM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$700 for a new camera + kit lens is probably not going to make you too happy. For $700 you might be able to get a decent used 40D or similar.
3/12/10 11:12 AM
thenino
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

looking at a 40 d for 500.00.
what do you think of the t2i?
3/13/10 12:07 AM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

t2i has a better sensor, better metering and I suspect better autofocus. You can also use 6400 ISO which theoretically gives you an extra usable stop over the 40d. How useful those will be to you is debatable (and I don't think there are any test shots available yet). So the big difference is that you'll be running 3.something fps rather than 6. That will make a difference. It's also going to be over your stated budget, plus you'll need to buy an adequate lens.

As for what the 40d can do...check out the Ken Rockwell thread below and you can read (and see) some examples of how that camera and an affordable lens works in the setting you want to use it in.
3/13/10 12:26 PM
thenino

Thanks for your help cluster. I just bought my friends 40D with a 17 40 lens, although this wont be ideal for mma or sports. I'm going to buy a tele photo down the road. I paid 950, think I got a pretty good deal.
3/13/10 12:40 PM
cluster

The 17-40L lens? You got a very good deal, assuming neither the body nor the lens is straight-up broken! L lenses retain their value very well so if you need/want to sell it to put towards a telephoto, you're in good shape.

Then again that lens is awesome so you will probably end up keeping it.
3/13/10 12:56 PM
thenino

Yes the L series , it was weird, I answered an ad on craigslist and when he replied I realized it was a good friend of mine I haven't seen in years. He gave me a great deal and I'm very excited. They are both in working order and barely used.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.