UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Roach says Toney will beat anyone in MMA standing

3/11/10 6:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mamushi
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Freddie Roach says in this new interview that James Toney will beat any fighter in MMA if the fight stays standing, even though he admits he'll be destroyed on the ground.  Freddie Roach: "If he fights a quality ground guy, once he goes to the ground he's gonna get killed. But, if a guy chooses to stand up with James, James is gonna destroy him. That's why they call him "Lights Out". I don't think there's one fighter in MMA that could stand with James."  He has some other interesting things to say too, about how he thinks Toney's just being used.  Source: http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Freddie-Roach-on-Toney-I-dont-think-theres-one-fighter-in-MMA-that-could-stand-with-James.html
3/11/10 6:22 PM
ThreadRuiner
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/11/10 6:24 PM
likatiga
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Standing" includes kicks, no?
3/11/10 6:25 PM
White Culture

there is no one in mma that could box with toney
3/11/10 6:26 PM
Mamushi
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 - 

also.. someone kick Roach in the leg..

Yeah...he doesn't seem to factor in the leg kicks.  I hope they put in Toney against a good kickboxer like Hardonk or Kongo so we can watch the fireworks.

3/11/10 6:27 PM
Mc6pack

likatiga - "Standing" includes kicks, no?

that's surely what he was thinking...
3/11/10 6:28 PM
KrisDonahoo
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Leg kicks don't end fights" - Cecil Peoples. Brandon Vera could probably kick and run and beat Toney. LOL @ Freddy.
3/11/10 6:32 PM
FSMA

Mamushi - 
inf0 - <p>also.. someone kick Roach in the leg..
 </p>
Yeah...he doesn't seem to factor in the leg kicks.  I hope they put in Toney against a good kickboxer like Hardonk or Kongo so we can watch the fireworks.

Ahh, the usual UG lol.

I'll break it down for you; Roach is assuming that you're smart enought to realize that what he's talking about is how nobody's going to stand and trade with Toney, ie punches. He's right too.

I guess that takes reading comprehension though.

3/11/10 6:33 PM
ThreadRuiner

Edited: 03/11/10 6:37 PM
FSMA - 
Mamushi - 
inf0 - 

also.. someone kick Roach in the leg..

Ahh, the usual UG lol.

I'll break it down for you; Roach is assuming that you're smart enought to realize that what he's talking about is how nobody's going to stand and trade with Toney, ie punches. He's right too.

I guess that takes reading comprehension though.

This. No one with any resemblence of a brain would trade punches with Toney.
3/11/10 6:50 PM
CRBMoney14

This is why they should make Pat Barry vs Toney
3/11/10 6:56 PM
Steve4192
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRBMoney14 - This is why they should make Pat Barry vs Toney

I'd prefer to see Cup Cheick fight him.  I want to see someone soften Toney up with leg kicks then put him in the clinch and knee him into Bolivian.  Barry tends to keep fights at distance and avoid the clinch.
3/11/10 6:57 PM
BigWilliam
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well it's a good thing that MMA includes grappling then. Because EVERYONE in MMA can out grapple Toney.
3/11/10 7:00 PM
thefightingsheep
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Schilt still fought MMA I think he'd have the style, skill and size to beat up Toney pretty easily.  Maybe Overeem could do so as well.  Otherwise, I' agree with Roach.
3/11/10 7:14 PM
CRBMoney14

Steve4192 - 
CRBMoney14 - This is why they should make Pat Barry vs Toney

I'd prefer to see Cup Cheick fight him.  I want to see someone soften Toney up with leg kicks then put him in the clinch and knee him into Bolivian.  Barry tends to keep fights at distance and avoid the clinch.

Kongo shot on Herring, he would almost certainly take down Toney
3/11/10 7:15 PM
OneScoup

Kicks are so rarely a factor in today's MMA. Unless Toney is a complete douche and refuses to learn to defend them, he will dominate the standup portion. If he sticks it out for a handful of fights I think he'll have a mixed bag of embarrassing losses and spectacular KO victories.

3/11/10 7:27 PM
CRBMoney14

OneScoup - Kicks are so rarely a factor in today's MMA. Unless Toney is a complete douche and refuses to learn to defend them, he will dominate the standup portion. If he sticks it out for a handful of fights I think he'll have a mixed bag of embarrassing losses and spectacular KO victories.

IF PAt Barry fought him Im sure his gameplan would be to make them a factor
3/11/10 7:42 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that everybody forgets that Toney is a very good but fat and lazy boxer. What makes him so good in boxing is his ability to roll with punches and counter them. As a heavy wieght he doesn't hit that hard and hasn't deserved to be called lights out for years. I would like to see someone leg kick him into submission. They could kick him until he drops and then back off and let him stand back up and do it again. I am sure Hardonk could kick his legs hard enough that Toney can't even walk out of the cage under his own power.
3/11/10 8:07 PM
Mc6pack

Lets face it, anyone who steps into the Octagon with Toney is gonna take him down, including Kongo, Barry or Kimbo lol
3/11/10 8:07 PM
Shanks V3.1
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/11/10 8:13 PM
Unless he's matched up with a scrub, (which he likely will be) I predict toney looking like a fish out of water everywhere. He'll get pushed or cut off into the cage and get stuck (no rope break in mma in a cage), out kickboxed (elbows/kicks/knees), or he'll get subbed as soon as it hits the ground.

Roach basically said "if anybody boxes with this boxer they'll get outboxed!"

Well no shit. Unfortunately for toney the rules and environment are completely different, even standing. I have a sneaking suspicion toney is not trying to learn all the facets of mma, and even if he tried he doesnt have the time or the youth to gain the level of roundedness and competency it takes to compete with even b or c level fighters in the big promotions.

I believe he'll come in hoping someone will straight box with him, with a boxing gameplan, not an mma gameplan...and will get promptly humiliated.
3/11/10 8:41 PM
awilson82
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 - 
Zamiel - You guys act like leg kicks are the end all of stand-up, like Toney will just pass out from shock when it happens.

spoken like someone who's never taken one

THIS let Barry leg kick you a few good times and see if you can still use that leg to put your weight into a punch.

I think even standing in MMA that AO, Barry, A. Silva, CroCop, JDS, Machida, and Hardonk would beat Toney standing. Schilt and Badr too but I count them as K1 not MMA guys.
3/11/10 8:51 PM
nogoamigo

It's a little funny to me how so many ITT act like Roach doesn't know shit about MMA when he has trained quite a few top MMA fighters. Obviously he's just working on their boxing/striking, but the guy surely picked up a thing of two about MMA in the process.

Also, everything he says is pretty obvious.
3/11/10 8:55 PM
mr nemo

OneScoup - Kicks are so rarely a factor in today's MMA. Unless Toney is a complete douche and refuses to learn to defend them, he will dominate the standup portion. If he sticks it out for a handful of fights I think he'll have a mixed bag of embarrassing losses and spectacular KO victories.

This.
3/11/10 9:52 PM
ViciousCesar
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 - Guess what? Phelps would beat anyone in MMA if the fights took place underwater...

who gives a fucking shit

i lol'd
3/11/10 9:58 PM
ABE FROMAN

I'm sorry, Boxers have never destroyed anyone in MMA and Toney won't be the first.

Anderson would light his ass up standing or on the ground. He would get kicked in the belly and KO'ed promptly.
3/11/10 10:03 PM
subgrappler83

Edited: 03/11/10 10:09 PM
ABE FROMAN - I'm sorry, Boxers have never destroyed anyone in MMA and Toney won't be the first.

Anderson would light his ass up standing or on the ground. He would get kicked in the belly and KO'ed promptly.

Your totally underestimating the toughness of boxers bro. Boxing is a much more physically demanding sport the mma. Getting punched 100+ times in a fight is no joke. People like to joke about the "pillows" on there hands. But the those pillows take up much more surface space on the face. Meaning they connect at a much higher rate. Little 4oz gloves mostly slip off your face and don't hit u nearly as often. The lack of respect for boxers on this forum is sicking.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.