UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> New Guitar

3/12/10 8:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Added an Epiphone Emperor Regent to the stable. Great for swing/jazz and T-Bone Walker stuff.. This isn`t the actual guitar but the same model/finish. I traded an Alverez MD80 straight across which we both felt was an even trade.

[img]http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/guitarimages2008/epiemp/emperorep_004.jpg[/img]
3/12/10 8:29 AM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now I need a new tube amp..
3/14/10 6:41 PM
alpo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's the advantage of the strings being different lengths?  I've seen that before, but I was just wondering why.  Most bridges just go straight across. 
3/16/10 8:31 AM
Hillbilly

For intonations sake I guess. I`m sure RacerX could give us alot better explanation.
3/18/10 1:44 PM
whaledog
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/20/10 10:56 PM
Hillbilly - Added an Epiphone Emperor Regent to the stable. Great for swing/jazz and T-Bone Walker stuff.. This isn`t the actual guitar but the same model/finish. I traded an Alverez MD80 straight across which we both felt was an even trade.

ANOTHER cool guitar. Man, you must have a helluva collection.

I don't think the string length has anything to do with intonation because that's controlled by the bridge and the nut. My guess is it has to do with string tension. The longer the string, the greater the tension (and vice versa).   The shorter G,B & E strings are probably easier to bend.

So, how's it sound?  

3/19/10 2:14 PM
Hillbilly

It sounds great but the pup is a little mushy to me especially for T-bone Walker blues. Gets alot of wolf tones when you turn up the volume which is to be expected for a full box. Could be my solid state amp too. Who makes the good, hot, floating pups?
3/20/10 1:14 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/20/10 10:51 AM
Definately for string tension.....or maybe the strings or the other side of the bridge sympathetically vibrated at non-musical tone when at the same length.
3/22/10 2:07 PM
whaledog
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/23/10 1:04 PM
Hillbilly - It sounds great but the pup is a little mushy to me especially for T-bone Walker blues. Gets alot of wolf tones when you turn up the volume which is to be expected for a full box. Could be my solid state amp too. Who makes the good, hot, floating pups?
No help with the pups, but at least you gave me as good an excuse as any to post a T-Bone video.

BTW, maybe the problem's not the pickup. You should try holding your guitar 'flat' like T-Bone when you solo. ;)

3/23/10 12:15 PM
Hillbilly

Edited: 03/23/10 12:15 PM
How the hell did he play like that? I think feedback is the nature of the beast with these floating pups. It doesn`t have a hole cut in the top like T-bones Switchmaster. The pup mounts to the fretboard so it is essentially an acoustic guitar with the pup mounted above the guitar top. Maybe a hotter pup would help, but I think these guitars are more suited to lounge gigs than blues.
3/23/10 2:26 PM
whaledog

Edited: 03/23/10 4:20 PM
Hillbilly - How the hell did he play like that? I think feedback is the nature of the beast with these floating pups. It doesn`t have a hole cut in the top like T-bones Switchmaster. The pup mounts to the fretboard so it is essentially an acoustic guitar with the pup mounted above the guitar top. Maybe a hotter pup would help, but I think these guitars are more suited to lounge gigs than blues.

I'd bet you're right.  That looks like a jazz box to me.

But, no worries, that just gives you an excuse to add to your collection.

How about a Switchmaster reissue (which looks a little different than T-Bone's guitar)?

Or a traditinal blues hollowbody, like an ES 335?

After all, its just money.  :)

3/25/10 7:54 AM
Hillbilly

That is a beautiful dot-neck! I think a tele will be my next guitar.
3/25/10 11:54 AM
whaledog

Hillbilly - That is a beautiful dot-neck! I think a tele will be my next guitar.

Awesome!  

Wanna buy mine?  I just bought a new tele and need to sell my old one.

Actually, I was about to make a post about the best way to sell it since it has some mods.  Killer mods, IMHO.

I'm trying to figure out whether to spend the money to make it 100% stock again (I kept all the original parts and they can be dropped back in - no cutting or drilling for the mods).

3/26/10 3:08 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/26/10 3:08 PM
 Ah, the Frequensator Tailpiece. Herb Sunshine of Epiphone invented it, they started using it in 1937. The two different length "forks" produced different frequency emphasis, the shorter one focusing deeper tones and the longer one creating extra brilliance. Though they are usually set up  with the shorter fork on the bass side, they are interchangeable and you will occasionally see one set up that way. I imagine when they are reversed it's because someone is looking for the change in tension more than tone, as it would tighten up the bass side while relaxing bending tension on the treble side.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.