UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> Tell Me About Running of the BULLS (Pamplona)

3/12/10 12:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UCLApimp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Booked my tickets, booked hotel. Now tell me which one of you crazy fuckers have done this? Good stories, food, brothel bar fights, etc? Thanks!
3/23/10 2:31 PM
e. kaye

I did a few years ago.

1-The odds of getting killed are small.  Last year was the first in 15 that someone died.

2-You are more likely to be injured by other runners than the bulls.

3-You cannot outrun the bulls over long distances.   Trying to will get you gored.

4-They release 6 fighting bulls and four steer with bells.   The bells are so you can hear them coming.

5-Do no run on the outside of  a turn.   The bulls momentum pulls them to the outside and they ofter crash.   YOu do not want to be between the bulls and a wall.

6-I watched for three days and then ran.   I decided to run at the very front of the Run.  It is the only place that you can see all of the bulls.   The corral is 100 yards down the road.   The bulls get a running start.  The runners at the front run toward the bulls and to the side.  As the bulls pass, they turn and run with them as far as they can (on the side of the bulls).    This is the least congested part of the run IMO.

7-Go to the San Fermin website and watch a bunch of runs.   It will give you a good idea of the dangerous spots and the chaos that ensues.
3/23/10 2:33 PM
e. kaye

It is the biggest drunken bacchanal I have ever seen.   Broken glass everywhere every morning.

Great food, from cheap to expensive.

Fireworks every night.

If you go to the opening ceremony that is a whole other story.   If you are watch it online and I will tell you how to stay safe.

5/12/10 9:41 PM
UCLApimp

Sweet! I'm staying at Hotel Burlada. Arriving the day before the start on El Festival de San Fermin, July 5, to scope out the town before. Then staying all the way through July 8.

Biggest drunken bacchanal you've ever seen? Sounds awesome, but what do you mean the opening ceremony is a whole other story?

Thanks for the tips, I read all the cases of each of the 15 that died, learned a few tips like don't run in the hallway into the bullring! Seems like people fall there, get clogged up, form a human wall, and everyone gets maimed when the bulls plow through.

I'm a 33 year old male traveling alone, not too worried about staying safe, but do tell? Should I buy a knife when I land in Barcelona or something???
5/13/10 10:46 AM
e. kaye

Google up video of the opening ceremony.  It is called Chupinazo.

It takes place in a small square.   The square gets filled with people until there is no room.   And I mean no room.

The buildings surrounding the square have plastic covering their windows and balconies up three floors.

That is because of the mustard, ketchup, eggs and champagne that gets thrown around for hours.   YOu will be soaked, dirty, and maybe injured.  In our group one guy stepped on a broken bottle and it went through his shoe.   A woman in the crowd had her shoulder dislocated just from the jostling in the crowd.

I got lucky.  I got there very early with my gf and ran into some Americans that had been doing it for over twenty years.   They told me that she would get wrecked in the crowd.    They told us to stand right under the Mayor's balcony facing the crowd.  I bought a couple of large garbage bags and made them into panchos.     Since everyone want to see the Mayor and dignitaries, they puch back from the front of the Mayor/s building leaving space there.   It is the only place you won't get crushed.     It works our well when the Mayor starts his walk with the band, as you will have a front row seat for the start of that part of the ceremony.

There are tons of video on the net of it.  Watch it carefully.

There is a closing ceremony too called Pobre de Mi.
5/13/10 2:08 PM
UCLApimp

Tremendous advice, thank you. I had no idea there is a food fight, big fan of food fights! Sounds insane, I will be sure to wear my Timberlands during the festival.

I figure there will be plenty of cool peeps to run into, like fellow Americans.

Just saw one video, holy F, had no idea it was that packed prior. IN-Fing-SANE. I've been in similar crowds like that before, but dizzam.

Do you think it's a waste to stay for three whole days, or well worth it? I've never been to España, and I plan to hit it all in three weeks, including Ibiza...
5/13/10 3:32 PM
e. kaye

Edited: 05/13/10 3:51 PM

I was in Pamplona for four days.   There is great food, concerts and fireworks every night.   I went to the Bullfights.   If you go, pay extra and sit in the shade (sombra).   If you sit in the sunny section, you will get rained upon with wine.   The sunny side is for the poorer people.  They bring band instruments and get very rowdy.   The shady side is more dignified and the Bullfighters do their best to keep the action in front of the more expensive seats.

Ibiza is great.  I have been there maybe 20 times in the last 25 years.   I went there to relax after Pamplona.

5/14/10 12:05 AM
UCLApimp

Beautiful, I knew all my efforts to make it to Pamplona were well worth it. Knew it!

I just bought myself Hemmingway's Death in the Afternoon. I want to appreciate bullfighting for what it's for, and not for what most think. I hear scalpers are the only way to get tix, true?

20 times! Haha, you must appreciate electronic music as much as me. I haven't book my rooms for Ibiza yet, need to get on that.

My plan is to land in Barce, head to Pamplona, hit the Basque region, Bilbao, Madrid, down to Cordoba, then right up the coast to Ibiza, back to Barce. Can't...fing...wait...
5/14/10 1:58 AM
e. kaye

Not into electronic music.  Ibiza was very different years ago.  There was a distinctive Baleric sound.   You can probably find it on the net.

I barley go to the clubs anymore.  It is not what it used to be.   But the beach is first rate and the food fantastic.

I bought very expensive tickets for the Bullfights from one of the Gypsies.   They control the scalping.

I can do a whole thread on Barcelona and Madrid.  Both great cities.   Food in Barcelona is off the hook.
5/14/10 2:33 PM
UCLApimp

Well I plan to stop by Marto in Toledo to buy an exact replica of El Cid's sword, and pick up some dope shoes for work in Barcelona. Anything else you recommend I pick up?
8/4/10 5:21 PM
e. kaye

Well, how did it go?
8/5/10 11:17 AM
Tommy Gunnz
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

when does the running of the bulls take place? i'd love to do it!
8/5/10 2:14 PM
e. kaye

July 7-15th

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.