UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Bass vs Guitar

3/12/10 1:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nostripewhite
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much does playing guitar transfer over to playing bass?

I've only been playing for 6 months, but I thought it might be fun to eventually get a bass and give it a shot.

Thanks, in advance.
3/12/10 1:24 PM
banjo

Edited: 04/17/10 4:04 AM
imo, it transfers over well. The purpose of the base dictates how it should be played. I like melodic, subtle bass lines. Guitar is a dominate instrument.

Physically though, it transfers very well.
3/12/10 3:08 PM
nostripewhite

Egg-salad. I'm having so much fun learning guitar, I may see if I can get a good deal on a decent bass and have at 'er.
3/16/10 4:44 PM
tourist
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My guitar playing really improved when I learned bass (and drums). I always found theory hard to understand on the guitar, mainly because of the two high "B" and "E" not being part of the same box as the other 4 lower strings.

With the bass, not having the high B and E strings made the box shape immediately playable all over the place, and I understood how to find the triads anywhere and my guitar playing immediately improved. It was quite an eye-opener at the time.
3/16/10 6:23 PM
nostripewhite

I think I'll get the bass in a month or two. I'll sit there on my guitar playing with just the two lowest strings, thinking about how bass works. Seems enjoyable.

I'll probably get something relatively low cost though, I think.
3/26/10 3:18 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ibanez  makes some killer cheap basses.
4/30/10 3:54 PM
HMIC2

Bass is much more demanding on your hands and wrists. I find that playing bass after time away results in really poor stamina.

I also disagree that bass shouldn't be a dominant instrument. Lots of progressive rock and jazz rock is propelled by bass and players like Geddy Lee, Jeff Berlin, Jaco Pastorius and even Mike Rutherford occassionally in a pop setting are some of the most interesting guys to listen to IMO.

If the bass player is just pumping out 16th note roots the guitar player better be damned good or I'm getting bored fast.

I record with a 5 string MIM Fender Jazz bass. You can get these any day of the week on eBay for $300.
5/1/10 1:48 PM
nostripewhite

I really think I'll get a bass. My main problem is, I don't know awhole lot about musical theory at all. I have okay stamina for playing guitar, but I imagine playing bass would be hell, haha.
6/13/10 12:26 AM
banjo

Edited: 06/13/10 12:27 AM
HMIC2 - 
I also disagree that bass shouldn't be a dominant instrument.

I will agree with you there, to a point. It depends on a song, but in general the bass is not dominant.

Not saying the bass can't be dominant though.

I don't like eighth /16th note or just straight bass lines to emphasize the beat. (usually).

I think it's critical the bass player have good taste, and know when to keep it simple and when to a bit of flair to compliment the song.

I love McCarney's bass playing on "A Day in the Life" and "Something".
6/13/10 12:28 AM
banjo

^PS - I don't think either of these songs would be nearly the same without the critical bass lines.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.