UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Thinking about switching firms...

4/23/10 5:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fake Pie
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gave notice. Very hard... never even broke up with a girl before or quit a job, so this was difficult. He argued that I should stay and would be better here. Said he wanted to talk to the firm higher ups and get me the same money for this year at least and that if I stuck with him he would make sure I made partner one day, would even share his book with me. I pretty much expected that, though I doubt he could get me the money.

It is attractive to have a rabbi like that but I am not even sure I want to be a partner one day and I think even money aside I will develop my career better at the other place. Who knows, could be the worst decision ever...

Oh well. It's done. I feel like shit though.
4/23/10 5:34 PM
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dont feel like shit dude..if things went wrong they would have NO qualms of letting you go so they could keep their yacht....
4/23/10 5:34 PM
goku

Edited: 04/23/10 5:34 PM
 also, its TOO LATE for them to scramble to give more money...they should have taken the INITIATIVE and given you a raise in the first place...

4/23/10 10:30 PM
Fake Pie
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks. Appreciate it.
4/25/10 5:01 PM
Lurken

dam. coldhearted. they gave you your start too.

j/k stumbled through this thread while waiting for a response for my trust question
4/25/10 5:02 PM
Lurken

dam. coldhearted. they gave you your start too.

j/k stumbled through this thread while waiting for a response for my trust question
4/27/10 11:05 AM
Fake Pie

Well, by yesterday (after the weekend had passed) there was no more talk of a counter offer. He had said he didn't want to try and get me one if I was going to turn it down anyhow and I basically said I couldn't guarantee I would take it, and then explained all my reasons why I think taking counter offers in general is a bad thing for the future. Anyhow, it is clear he was either shot down by the higher ups or he gave up on the idea. So it is done done. I am sort of starting to feel like a decent human being again.
4/27/10 1:44 PM
pm1964

Good luck.
4/27/10 6:52 PM
Lurken

He had said he didn't want to try and get me one if I was going to turn it down anyhow

That right there tells that you made right choice! imo!
4/30/10 10:45 AM
Fake Pie

I just found out I will already be making more over there as a second year than a 6th year in my current office makes (who is one of the few that made hours last year)... yeah, I am not regretting this yet.
4/30/10 11:09 AM
goku

Edited: 04/30/10 11:09 AM
Fake Pie - I just found out I will already be making more over there as a second year than a 6th year in my current office makes (who is one of the few that made hours last year)... yeah, I am not regretting this yet.

nice ...that much difference is too much to ignore or bank on "better" partnership prospects at your old firm...
4/30/10 11:52 AM
salyer36
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fake Pie...

I wish I had your problem, I would commit murders to be able to leave my firm.

Best of Luck
5/2/10 7:35 PM
Fake Pie

salyer36 - Fake Pie...

I wish I had your problem, I would commit murders to be able to leave my firm.

Best of Luck

I have heard that from a lot of people at my old job, so imagine what is going to happen to a place when the guy that is one of the few that was actually pretty happy felt he had to move on to something better. I know at least 3 associates that are interviewing now (office only has 30 attorneys including partners--regional office of a national firm). It honestly felt like a sinking ship. I think most of the associates are 1 offer away from being gone this year.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.