UnderGround Forums

Florida Underground >> BJJ Gym's near Daytona Beach

3/14/10 4:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BJJintheUSA
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I currently train in Atlanta but will be moving to Daytona in a few months. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about good BJJ gyms/instructors in the area.
3/14/10 5:18 PM
breakit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

graciedaytona.com/
3/14/10 9:37 PM
djmackocean11

The Armory of Daytona Beach. You would be training with WEC vet Richard Crunkilton everyday. And we also have a large team of a good group of guys that have been competing and fighting for awhile.
3/14/10 9:53 PM
BJJintheUSA
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys, I'll be down looking at apartments early next month I'll check both these places out.
3/14/10 11:19 PM
djmackocean11

i actually moved down here in 08 from East Tennessee to train with Rich. Our gym is pretty legit when it comes to the training and the instructors. If you have any questions hit me up.

My email is: mini_matt0@yahoo.com
3/20/10 8:06 AM
Todd Cutler

Edited: 03/20/10 8:14 AM
Daytona De la Riva/Topdog The only BJJ gym in Daytona with on site BJJ Black Belt that oversees every class..The only De La Riva Black Belt Certified Academy in the area through Master Ricardo De La Riva delarivabjjassoc.com The largest grappling area of ANY of the gyms in the daytona area and the largest competition team in volusia county.. Myself and three other Brazilian BJJ black belts teach regularly... We have a very successful mma program ass well with over 20 mma fighters whom have sanctioned mma fights and the deepest grappling team in the area... You said BJJ though and this is what we offer... There are several good gyms in the area i suggest you check them out... Florida is probably the best state in the US for BJJ.... will send you contact info as well check your mail.... Todd
3/20/10 8:23 AM
breakit

Todd-  Who are the other two black belts?
3/20/10 11:20 AM
Todd Cutler

There are four three others... Rafael Santos, Beto Nunes, and Marcelo Menezes... We are a sister school with the lakeland and Marcelo 45 minutes away... I am there teaching or Beto and Rafa teach here at least once every other week and Marcelo the same.... So every week there is different black belts along with a couple several brown, purple, and solid blue belts to roll with....
3/20/10 10:38 PM
breakit

Cool.  I didn't know they went out there.  Thanks
3/22/10 2:30 AM
BJJintheUSA

Edited: 03/24/10 4:42 PM
Thanks guys I'll definitely be checking out all the gyms when I get down there. I should be down in the next few weeks to find a place to live, so I'll stop by and introduce myself. So you know, I train in Atlanta under Roberto Traven, and I am a Blue belt. I appreciate you guys helping me out with this.
3/22/10 10:24 PM
Flagler Gracie Jiu Jitsu

Flagler Gracie Jiu Jitsu in Flagler Beach is about 15 miles North of Daytona and is operated by Luiz Palhares who is a 6th Degree Black Belt under Rickson Gracie. There are other good schools in the area, but this is the only Rickson B/B, and the only Professor in the area.
http://www.luizpalharesjiujitsu.com/
4/3/10 6:55 PM
scsubfighter

Gracie Daytona is the areas only official Gracie Jiu Jitsu school. It offers instruction under a 4th degree black belt and Relson Gracie brown belt every class. Also offers Dutch Muay Thai under Dutch fighter Willem Jan Van Djick, and Greco and Freestyle wrestling under D-1 3x All American, and host seminars from the biggest names in the sport.
Truly a family atmosphere and attention to detail expected from a Gracie academy with classses scheduled day and night five days a week. Stop by for a free trial anytime.

There are great instructors and great places to train in Daytona. Wherever you find a place to live you won't be far from a quality school. Check them all out and go from there!

For more info visit,
www.GracieDaytona.com or call 1-888-FL-GRACIE
5/9/10 7:32 PM
RyPuhnie

Can I just say Amen to BJJ schools in the area. I used to drive 45mins each way to GBO because we didnt have anything at all close to here. Now like 4 top notch places.

Think ill be getting back into BJJ and dusting off the ol Gi. Hope no one minds Gracie Barra patches lol.

5/9/10 7:41 PM
RyPuhnie

Edited: 05/09/10 10:32 PM
5/12/10 7:03 PM
Jamie Levine

Todd, Call me asap about your interview for your fight on July 10th in the WEF.
I want to get your bout being talked about by everyone.
6/11/10 1:13 AM
SMACDADDY
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How bout gyms that offer some Muay Thai/Boxing/Kickboxing? What's the place to go?

Looks like I might be in Daytona the last week in June for a family vacation. I'd like to peel away, and maybe do a bjj class or two, but I'm also really interested in trying to get some mitt/pad time in even if it's like a 30 minute private.

Any suggestions.
6/11/10 9:01 AM
SMACDADDY
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
6/11/10 8:49 PM
Flagler Gracie Jiu Jitsu

scsubfighter - Gracie Daytona is the areas only official Gracie Jiu Jitsu school.
For more info visit,

Just curious what exactly "only official Gracie Jiu Jitsu school in the area" means. Considering your new school is just a hop skip and a jump away from Luiz's school I'd say they're in the same area. I was under the impression that Luiz being a 6th Degree Black Belt under Rickson, and having trained with the Gracie family since the year you were born, as well as being a 2 time Pan-Am Gold Medalist in the Black Belt division kind of made his school "official" as well. Please elaborate what makes a school "official."
Thanks.
6/12/10 12:03 AM
SMACDADDY

Come on! Striking? I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it. Just semantics. He didn't mean the Flagler Beach area. (Wink, Wink)
6/21/10 2:45 PM
vintirex
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ill 2nd the armory. good group of guys there.
7/3/10 12:03 PM
El Conquistador

Flagler Gracie Jiu Jitsu - 
scsubfighter - Gracie Daytona is the areas only official Gracie Jiu Jitsu school.
For more info visit,

Just curious what exactly "only official Gracie Jiu Jitsu school in the area" means. Considering your new school is just a hop skip and a jump away from Luiz's school I'd say they're in the same area. I was under the impression that Luiz being a 6th Degree Black Belt under Rickson, and having trained with the Gracie family since the year you were born, as well as being a 2 time Pan-Am Gold Medalist in the Black Belt division kind of made his school "official" as well. Please elaborate what makes a school "official."
Thanks.
There is also Victor Huber in Ormond Beach and Jacksonville Beach...3rd degree under Royler Gracie.

10/22/10 4:02 PM
skitapout

Todd, can you please send me contact info. I would like to check out your school.
10/22/10 9:09 PM
JHalpin82
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would recommend The Armory as well. Rich is a professional fighter, a soon to be BJJ black belt and above all a great person. Every gym in the area will have great things to offer. You should definitely go to each gym close to you and make your own decisions though. These are all just recommendations. Phone Post
10/24/10 2:16 PM
Todd Cutler

skitapout 386-453-8418
10/30/10 10:50 PM
Dragon X

I live in P.C. There are two academies that are interesting here. One is the Rillion Gracie Academy and the other is Flagler Jiu Jitsu, which is a Palhares (a top Gracie student) school. I spent the last two years training Mixed Martial Arts in Ormond Beach, with a style that is part BJJ and part kickboxing, it had a belt system and everything, which I thought was pretty cool. Finally decided to concentrate on mainly BJJ. Anyway, it's a toss up between these two academies where I want to go next. I checked both out, they are both good.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.