UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> 18v EMG mod

3/14/10 6:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anyone done this?  I'm curious if anyone has any ideas for how to do it without modifying the body.

I was thinking of just making a new electronics cover and mounting the extra battery and a stiff slide switch to it directly.  I think this will work fine, but I was just wondering if anyone had any additional thoughts or concerns. 

I'm sure I have some kind of plastic sheet laying around that I could use.  I also have some 1/4" poplar, but I'd have to rabbet the edges so thin that Im afraid any sort of wood might be too weak. 
3/16/10 11:14 PM
whtblt4eva
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

are you doing it for bass or guitar (not that it really matters)?  i have an Epi Les Paul and an ESP EC-1000 and i did the mod to both of them. there was enough room in the electronics cavity for me not to root the body any further. i bought the 9 volt clip and battery holder from Radio Shack.
3/16/10 11:16 PM
whtblt4eva
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/16/10 11:22 PM
whtblt4eva

i really like this mod because it's very easy to undo if you don't like the tone. personally, i'm thinking about going back to 9volts. it had a "fuller" tone IMO.
3/16/10 11:26 PM
whtblt4eva

3/17/10 10:17 AM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's for 2 guitars, actually.  I went ahead and did it yesterday, with the toggle switches in the back and everything went pretty well.  I had a big Rubbermaid container I wasn't using for anything, that I used for the covers.  I made a rough cut with a jigsaw and used the router to clean it up to the line.  They didn't have any sort of 9v brackets at RadioShack, so I just drilled a couple holes in the cover and strapped the extra battery down with a cable tie.  All in all, it was very easy except for cutting the square holes for the switches.  I had to use chisels and the fit isn't so great, but they are bolted down with tiny machine screws and bolts, so it's ok. 

I was worried about the switch being accidentally switched, but it seems pretty solid.  As it turns out, the machine screw heads, holding the switch in place on either side, stick out just as far as the switch itself (maybe 1 mm), so they sort of protect it from getting moved around. 

I guess I could have used a push/pull pot also, but I didn't feel like trying to find one. 
3/26/10 3:17 PM
Racer X
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never found the 18v mod to be useful for guitar unless you beat the hell out of the guitar. It really just increases headroom at the input, so the best results I've gotton are bass players who slap and produce big signal going into the pickup. It doesn't affect output level to any degree.

Regarding push-pull pots or ANY guitar hardware, allparts.com is your one stop shop. You can build your own kick ass guitar and get every single component from these guys.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.