UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Radiologic Technician?

3/14/10 11:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
garrote2007
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been looking into classes for this field. Does anybody have any experience working with Xray machines? Pros and cons? Is it good field to jump into?
3/17/10 5:33 PM
Polaris
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, but I imagine the jobs are out there (maybe not so much right now with the shitty economy, but it does seem like a good field to get into).
4/5/10 5:42 PM
supersaiyan

i am actually considering trhying to get in that field myself as i was told it was a far more lucrative field than IT ( what i previously had taken classes in)
4/11/10 9:54 AM
Seul
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I looked in to this a while back (I was deciding between respiratory therapy, radiology tech, and nursing; I went with nursing), it seems like a pretty decent thing to do.

You won't ever be rich, but if you don't mind living on mid-30k/year for the rest of your life you will probably be able to manage pretty well.

The work itself doesn't seem to stressful (have people line up, put on a lead vest, then get x-rayed; repeat until end of shift), you get paid a livable wage, will probably have benefits, and won't end up with much school debt.

The downsides are that you don't have a lot of opportunity for advancement and will be doing the same thing every day for the rest of your working life.

I wouldn't have minded this, though; you can kind of autopilot through the day and have plenty of physical and emotional energy for training at the end of the day.

I went with nursing because of the better pay, larger number of job openings, and greater potential for advancement (though it comes with a very very high level of stress on the job and exposure to all manner of unseemly and stomach-clenching duties).

In my area, it seems comparable to public school teaching (as far as pay).
4/13/10 8:07 PM
supersaiyan

thanks for the great input SEul....i think i will be content with havea comfortable level life of decency uknow...

SEul-- about the advancement ...there are outside training and certifications u can take to enrich your self tho right ? at least from what i read. if anythingi figure i could transfer n learn something else within the medical arena and use the background from x-ray tech to supplement it .
4/18/10 4:17 PM
ReneH

My advice: don't do it! You will use your back a lot in this field and the fact that there is virtually no career advancement, makes it to good to to look elsewhere.
4/19/10 6:14 AM
bscdthrasher

Edited: 04/19/10 6:16 AM
"don't do it" = correct

i considered going to x-ray tech school a few years again but then quickly realized pharm school would be a much wiser decision.

pharm school is only 2 years longer and the pay is at least twice as much once you graduate and pass the boards.

my undergrad GPA was abysmal and i haven't taken a science class in over a decade... yet i still got accepted into a pharmd program. WTF was the admissions committee thinking????
4/20/10 10:41 AM
ChangoBravo
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if I can agree with "Don't do it" or "Virtually no career advancement"

I have a Rad Tech that works for me. Let me illustrate her career path:

2 year community college degree in Radiation Technology, hired by the hospital for $30,000/year.

Worked for the hospital for 1 year(excellent work) and sent at hospital expense to nuclear imaging school for 1 year(I think) to learn CT's and MRI's and PET. Upon return she made $60,000/year with a 2 year contract with the hospital, because they paid for school.

She then became Supervisor for Imaging. M-F, 7:30-3:30, No nights or weekends and paid $82,000/year.

She is 26 years old, with an associates degree and will make $100,000 this year by working a weekend or two a month in a surgical center, in addition to her hospital job.

This is NOT atypical for a dedicated, hard worker.

Chango
4/20/10 11:47 AM
supersaiyan

thanks Chango for the the other side to the pix... i figure there had to be soemthing to it considering someone is needed to do that aspect in the medical field.

:)
4/20/10 11:49 AM
supersaiyan

i will honestly be happy with 50,000 tho lol!!!
4/20/10 12:30 PM
ChangoBravo
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VERY easily attainable in 2 years with overtime.

Chango
4/20/10 2:29 PM
bscdthrasher

"She is 26 years old, with an associates degree and will make $100,000 this year"

that's not typical at all for the average rad tech. seems like she got very lucky becoming supervisor so fast.
4/21/10 1:59 PM
Retard
651 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NDFS
4/22/10 11:27 AM
Seul
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"This is NOT atypical for a dedicated, hard worker."

I disagree, that sounds very atypical.

It's certainly wise to aim as high as you can with your career, but it's untruthful to tell someone that if they go to readio tech school at a community college for two years they will be making 100+ grand a year in their mid-20's if they are dedicated and work hard.

The national median wage for people in that field is in the mid 30's; this would suggest that her earnings are EXTREMELY atypical.

This (median national wage, which can be obtained from the department of labor website) is imo a decent indicator of prospects for a given career path.

If the median wage is in the mid 30's, there are going to be very very few people in the field making over 100K (or even many past 50, unless there are tons of people earning 5k a year).
4/22/10 11:35 AM
Seul

oops, I stand corrected; the median wage is 52K, I was remembering something different.

here is the source:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos105.htm

Damn, that actually looks pretty appealing (in light of the decent wage); nursing school is pretty unsettling (by way of contrast).
4/23/10 1:04 PM
ChangoBravo

Edited: 04/23/10 1:04 PM
The example that I used is 1 of 3 rad techs(by primary training) working directly for me and my partners.

Please note that she has follow on training with MRI/CT/Nuclear medicine.

As for the other 2. Both make over $65,000/year with OT.

In my former practice there were 2 full time, dedicated Rad Techs(Xray only) that made in excess of $65,000/year with OT.

In Medical School I dated a Rad Tech that had continuation training in MRI/CT. She mad approximately $85,000/year. That was in 1998. She was not yet a supervisor. Today, who knows?

Are there plenty of new grads making $30,000? Yep. Can I find a bunch with a couple years of experience and some real motivation that are making $85-100,000? Yes I can.

This has been my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck with whatever you pursue.

Chango
4/23/10 4:23 PM
supersaiyan

GREAT THREAD....guys ...and thank u for the"in the know" :P
6/21/10 1:26 AM
stat46

ttt

Nice thread.
6/22/10 3:05 PM
Coffee Guy

the problem is everyone is flooding into healthcare related jobs because you hear they are in demand. Then the market is saturated by the time you get your degree.
6/25/10 6:24 AM
stat46

^^^ Yahoo.com news made a huge news of it and many of my local tech schools are flooded with techs of all kind.

They are not just in demand. They are recession proof. So they say.
6/25/10 10:24 AM
bscdthrasher

"Are there plenty of new grads making $30,000? Yep. Can I find a bunch with a couple years of experience and some real motivation that are making $85-100,000? Yes I can."

this reminds me of the OG thread about all the high school dropouts who made 6-figs due to their "hard work and motivation"... truth of the matter is that only a small minority are going to achieve this.

6/28/10 11:16 AM
ChangoBravo

bscdthrasher - "Are there plenty of new grads making $30,000? Yep. Can I find a bunch with a couple years of experience and some real motivation that are making $85-100,000? Yes I can."

this reminds me of the OG thread about all the high school dropouts who made 6-figs due to their "hard work and motivation"... truth of the matter is that only a small minority are going to achieve this.

This is true. But if you are one of the ones that will work hard and have motivation, it can be you. The jobs and money are there. The X factor is the applicant.

Chango
9/17/10 3:51 PM
Stuart Scott's Eyeball

garrote2007 - I have been looking into classes for this field. Does anybody have any experience working with Xray machines? Pros and cons? Is it good field to jump into?
This was my first major in college.  I thought it would be cool working in hospital, make good money, etc.  Then one of my teachers proceeded to tell us that we would have to be doing something called Barium Enemas on patients at some point.  

I said fuck that, I'm outta here. 

I proceeded to get my bachelors degree in Construction management.  Seemed like a good idea at the time. 

9/29/10 11:47 AM
ChangoBravo

Generally, the barium enema is provided by the RN prior to the imaging. It happens some times, but it is rare for the tech to give the enema.

Chango
9/29/10 12:22 PM
Seul

I am partway through an RN program; we were discussing barium enemas just last week. They don't sound fun... Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.