UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> Best Players of the Last 10 Years?

3/14/10 11:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jwizard
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you think of my list?

1. Zidane

2. Ronaldinho

3. Kaka

4. C. Ronaldo

5. Messi
3/17/10 12:27 AM
jman
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

looks pretty good to me, not sure about the order though

Rooney is a fucking beast lately and may be entering that group.
3/17/10 2:02 AM
Jwizard

How do you feel about Zidane at the top?
3/17/10 2:17 AM
jman
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never was able to watch international soccer when Zidane was in his prime so I don't know. Haven't seen any of his games besides his World Cup apperances.

The best players from the past 10 years from a retarded American point of view with limited soccer TV access that I've seen have been Ronaldino, C. Ronaldo and lately Rooney.
3/17/10 12:52 PM
Pinback
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in the same boat. I know Zidane is one of the greats, but I never got to see many of his games while still in his prime.
3/17/10 6:03 PM
1 2 3 ACE
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say that list's about right.

Zidane is the best player of his generation by my reckoning. And a strong contender for best player ever. Granted I haven't seen many games of historical greats, but Zidane brought so much more to his teams than people like Pele, Maradona, etc. You could say the same about Messi, Ronaldo and others - as great as they are, they don't make the same contribution all across the pitch like Zidane did, and they can't lead a side like he did.

World Cup 2006 was just ridiculous, Zidane was supposed to be past his best, and he just turns up and shows himself to be the best player of the tournament. He's pretty much the only player in recent history who has truly gone out at the top, certainly the only one I can think of.
3/18/10 11:00 AM
Govnor

Good list...though for some reason I just don't see Kaka on there...and I'm not even sure why!
3/21/10 7:57 AM
Shotgun Mick

Kaka doesn't deserve to be on there - maybe if he actually learns how to play again in the next couple of years but it's not looking good for him.

Clearly Messi and C Ronaldo are the 2 best players now but considering they are only 22 and 24 to say they are the best over the last 10 years is a bit premature.

Ronaldinho I would agree with even though his form went to shit near the end of his Barca days and his early Milan career.

I think Thierry Henry might make my list as when he was at Arsenal until 2007 he was unreal.
3/21/10 12:13 PM
1 2 3 ACE
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shotgun Mick - 
I think Thierry Henry might make my list as when he was at Arsenal until 2007 he was unreal.

Yeah of course, I don't know how I forgot about him. There was a time where the debate was between Henry and Ronaldinho, considering the amount of time Henry was ridiculously good at Arsenal, he probably deserves to be top three on that list.
3/21/10 12:25 PM
Jwizard

Shotgun Mick, what do you think of my #1 choice?
3/22/10 6:25 PM
Shotgun Mick

Jwizard - Shotgun Mick, what do you think of my #1 choice?

I think Zidane was the best player since Maradona so I think he definitely deserves to be number 1. He also had that slight madman side to him which is always good.
3/23/10 1:38 AM
jman

what about Rooney now???
4/1/10 1:02 AM
jman

Here is the top 5 players from the past 10-15 years from the guy that does SoccerByIves.net:

2:08 [Comment From JonJon: ]
Ives, who's your top 5 players over the past 10-15 years?
Wednesday March 31, 2010 2:08 Jon

2:08 Zidane, Ronaldo, Henry, Messi, Ronaldinho

Pretty close to your list.
4/1/10 1:08 AM
Jwizard

I wonder if he's referring to C. Ronaldo or fat Ronaldo
4/2/10 5:54 PM
Shotgun Mick

He probably means CRonaldo but if he's going back 15 years he should really be including the real Ronaldo.
4/2/10 8:22 PM
melvins
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My top 5 would be:

1. Fat Ronaldo (WC 2002 and UCL vs Man United at Old Trafford are as much evidence as you need)
2. Lionel Messi (Burst out in around 2005, possibly the best player of all time)
3. Thierry Henry (Excellent for the whole decade. Incredible player)
4. Ronaldinho (Unplayable at his best for Barca, ridiculous skills, just has work ethic issues)
5. Frank Lampard (Not as flashy as the rest, but over 150 goals from midfield in the decade, around 100 assists, 20 international goals)
4/5/10 1:52 PM
Shotgun Mick

LOL @ Fat Frank being anywhere near that list. Where the hell is Zidane?!
4/5/10 3:17 PM
melvins
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fat Frank is on there for being as consistent as any midfielder in football for the past decade. Zidane was exquisite, but was at his very best in the late 90's/early 2000's, he had flashes of brilliance in the middle of the decade, and obviously when he played well, he was better than Fat Frank, but in terms of consistent performances, Frankie is about as good as it gets. If we were talking about the best players of the past 15 years, Zidane would be in my top three.
4/5/10 4:02 PM
Clichy
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jman - Here is the top 5 players from the past 10-15 years from the guy that does SoccerByIves.net:

2:08 [Comment From JonJon: ]
Ives, who's your top 5 players over the past 10-15 years?
Wednesday March 31, 2010 2:08 Jon

2:08 Zidane, Ronaldo, Henry, Messi, Ronaldinho

Pretty close to your list.

This guy is dead on. Henry was much better than Kaka over the last decade.
4/9/10 6:55 AM
Lymie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/09/10 6:56 AM
These lists only ever include attacking players. While I agree that the the list of Zidane, Ronaldo, Henry, Messi, Ronaldinho is great it doesnt include any of the grafters that helped make them great.

Would Henry have been as good with out Viera and Petit? Same is true of Zidane

Would Ronaldo (the fat one) have been as good with out Cafu

None of these plyers come close to Maradona. I hate the little fat coke head, but he was a true great of the game. Sigle handedly (pun intented) took an average side and won the world cup. Then a four years late came a wisker from doing it again.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.