UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Extreme Sparring- Empty Hands versus Shocknife

3/15/10 2:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Burton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JKDU--MMA For The Street, BJJ, Kali, President

Testing the Battlefield Kali Knife Defense against the Shocknife- we spar often, but everything goes up several notches when the Shocknife comes out!
3/15/10 10:12 AM
Willybone
443 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn that looks exciting.
3/22/10 12:14 AM
killacox
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

noticed the head gear. why wasnt scott wailing on you with his left while you initially went in?
3/22/10 1:28 AM
Burton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When the knife is in your hand, especially the shocknife, the attacker gets focused on the blade as well. He knew that if I got that out of his hand, he would be on the receiving end. And, I surprised him by moving in right away, which probably threw him off. Like any fighting, after the fact people often think of what they should have done in the moment.
3/22/10 10:02 AM
killacox

appreciate the quick reply
3/22/10 11:55 AM
Epa
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting video. In your experience, how many people with the knife have used the alive hand to clear off the grabs and set up their attacks with the knife? When I have sparred this kind of scenario, I find that's one of the hardest things to deal with as the empty hand fighter. Thanks in advance.
3/23/10 2:46 AM
Burton

Epa, dealing with that clearing is very difficult. My goal on entering is to get in so deep that it blocks his clearing hand, and also makes it difficult for him to change hands. He had an opportunity to clear just after I entered, when he sidestepped well. Luckily for me, he didn't do it. But once the 2 on 1 is in place, it is very difficult to clear that grip.
10/31/10 3:48 AM
JJK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow! That was awesome!
11/2/10 5:06 PM
Burton

Find someone with a Shocknife, get proper gear, and try it. What a rush, and you will quickly find any holes in your knife defense.
11/3/10 5:35 AM
JJK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Again Burton, that's awesome! I'm really looking forward to doing some training in your Battlefield Kali system hopefully soon with Patrick here in Australia.

For now I have just been doing some Balintawak knife training to get familiar with weapons work! Keep up the great work!!!

Felipe
11/12/10 4:59 PM
Burton

Enjoy your training Felipe- Patrick is a great representative!
11/27/10 5:09 AM
OnDaMat
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT!
11/30/10 5:19 AM
Robin Ashe

Burton - Find someone with a Shocknife, get proper gear, and try it. What a rush, and you will quickly find any holes in your knife defense.

Barring the availability of that, do you think training with No Lie Blades or something similar is a good second option?
12/6/10 4:52 PM
None So Blind
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mt
12/8/10 5:58 PM
Burton

Robin,
If you train with any sort of soft blade you will know if you get cut or not. The no lie blades are fun too. You can also go all out with a rattan dowel to get the adrenaline rush, but it is very dangerous. You are risking serious damage. The shocknife gives you that pressure while minimizing the danger.
Main thing: do your sparring safely, but do your sparring!
12/9/10 6:40 PM
dennis5
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt! eye opening!
2/8/11 12:45 AM
FunkNoobiest

very cool

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.