UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> kennel/crate training q

3/15/10 7:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WEB
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i recently got a 7 month old lab. im used to older dogs and cant stand the barking that she does while in the outside kennel and the inside crate. is this just an anxious pup and if so when will she be comfortable by herself?

any tips will help, thanks guys
3/16/10 10:29 PM
swiftnhbfighter

I would recommend a shock collar. If your worried about her pissing the neighbors off, then that is the way to go. Good luck!
3/17/10 11:05 AM
MichaelVronsky
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

try putting a towel over the sides of the crate to reduce visual stimulation. dogs generally outgrow this if you make the crate comfortable for them.
3/17/10 1:09 PM
WEB

^ i read about that and tried it, thanks...

she barks when i leave the room, when does this go away ? think she might have separation anxiety?

this is like taking care of a kid.......
3/17/10 6:14 PM
MichaelVronsky
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WEB, I'll give you a detailed answer tomorrow when i have a few minutes
3/17/10 8:36 PM
WEB

k
6/28/10 11:34 PM
BigEyedFish
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its tough, my Boston never got used to the crate. My Corso is at 8 months, used to it no problem at night and she barks a bit when I leave and put her in. Keep correcting your dog with a verbal SSHH when it yips from the crate.
11/26/10 11:42 PM
michellemma
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would totally recommend against buying and using a "shock collar" had one for my Aussie who was super vocal. Ended up being a "lemon" and burnt 2 holes in her neck!!! omg it must have hurt soooo bad :( smelled terrible. Never use a shock collar.
11/29/10 11:35 AM
Bitters
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my boston is fine in her crate.

they bark at first, because they want to be let out, duh. if you let them out, they realize "hey if i bark and cry loud enough, he will get me". if you ignore it, they stop since they realize it doesn't work like that. also, when you do take the dog out of the crate, make sure its when the dog is very quiet and not barking/crying (for the above reason). dogs connect actions to consequences quite quickly.

for house training...when the dog does bark/cry in the crate, take it to its designated piss/crap area and try to get it to go. if it doesn't go, then it goes back in the crate. rinse repeat until the dog does go, then reward with play and time out of the crate.
11/29/10 6:21 PM
WEB

my lab can bark for hours though if left ignored, shes a lot better from when i started this thread though, she never barks on the house , just when she is out in her kennel.
8/30/11 10:34 PM
Dryfly

WEB - i recently got a 7 month old lab. im used to older dogs and cant stand the barking that she does while in the outside kennel and the inside crate. is this just an anxious pup and if so when will she be comfortable by herself?

any tips will help, thanks guys

Needs/wants more exercise.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.