UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Squeek and surge in truck, any ideas?

3/17/10 9:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Thage
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The squeeking sound seems to be coming from both sides near the rear of the truck, almost as if when the weight shifts on the leaf springs they make a noise. Possibly the bushings in the leaf springs?

Whats the best way to figure this out? yank out the leafs and change the bushings and hope thats what it is?

Also the surge may be the shift from 1st to 2nd, but I cant tell. If I reprogram my shift points do you think that would change it?

2000 GMC Sierra 4x4 Extended cab 4 door, SLE
4/9/10 8:53 AM
adamwj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thage... I've got just about the same truck, just the Chevrolet version. As for the squeak, I'd put my money on the leaf springs, especially if you ever take it off road for anything.

As for the surge, do you mean you're getting an RPM rev or it just feels like its shifting hard. Mine has always felt like it has a hard shift from 1st to 2nd. I've never had a minutes trouble out of it though. I always chalked it up to the way it was geared. That being said, I do not think I would reprogram my shift points. Seems like that could either be irrelevant, or if there is a problem, a bandaid for it that will eventually come off.

Just my 2 cents... Certainly not a mechanic!
4/9/10 10:39 AM
Thage
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was exactly what I thought it was!

I may look for a lift that includes new leafs instead of just blocks, or maybe aftermarket replacements that aren't real expensive.

The hard shift isn't as annoying as the sound every fucking time I start driving.

Thanks!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.