UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rich Franklin talks Randy, wants title run

3/18/10 11:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mark_Daniels
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/18/10 11:33 AM

With Couture fight possible, Franklin aims for title

What’s next for Rich Franklin?

It’s the question that’s been on many minds in the past week, as rumors have surfaced of potential fights with either Randy Couture or Chuck Liddell.

Though nothing is signed, Franklin believes a fight with Couture in June at UFC 115 could be on the horizon.

“It’s not signed yet, but we’ve been working Randy now for a while. We’ve talked June, then we talked August and now we’re talking June again,” Franklin said. “I think we’re having problems with Randy’s scheduling. So I really don’t know what the plan is at this point.” 

Franklin, who is up with Jorge Gurgel training with Mark DellaGrotte at Sityodtong in Somerville, hopes whoever he does fight can get him back in the title picture. The 35-year-old former UFC middleweight champion is 1-2 in his last three fights. While in UFC, he’s fought in multiple different weight classes - 205, 195 and 185 - and hopes to make a run at the light heavyweight title.

“I’m at a point now where I’ve fought enough fights and it’s time for me to make a title run again and see where that takes me. That’s where my focus is Now,’‘ said Franklin... (more…)

3/18/10 12:00 PM
Mark_Daniels
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And no, he couldn't comment on the TUF "rumors".

This was my first time meeting Rich and Jorge Gurgel, both are great guys
3/18/10 12:03 PM
Big EP
325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really enjoy watching Rich Franklin fight. Great fighter, great guy BUT I do not see Rich EVER cracking into the top 5 LHWs of the UFC.
3/18/10 12:05 PM
Steamfitter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ricky is too small to be a credible LHW contender.
3/18/10 12:09 PM
Big EP
325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steamfitter - Ricky is too small to be a credible LHW contender.

This and his hand speed. There's just too many GREAT 205'ers at this time who would beat him to the punch.
3/18/10 12:09 PM
Titanium Rhino
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRE in 5,4,3,2....
3/18/10 12:11 PM
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

195 isn't a weight class... 
3/18/10 4:15 PM
icantthinkofanything

Rich is a talented guy, if he improves his striking and explosiveness like gurgel was saying, rich can mos definantly compete at lhw imo.
3/18/10 4:30 PM
DonFrye_Fan

He won't hold a belt in the UFC again.
3/18/10 4:45 PM
dabigchet

i like his chances against randy, forrest, maybe evans. not so much against machida, shogun, rampage.
3/18/10 4:50 PM
anunaki
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

id love to see rich versus shogun or machida.

He may have the footwork to corner machida and a shogun fight would be one of the original pride vs ufc dream matchups, imo.

3/18/10 4:51 PM
anunaki
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rampage would find his chin at some point, and I dont think forrest has the power to stop rich.

also, rogerio vs rich would be good, but rtch would get tapped.
3/18/10 4:52 PM
Steamfitter

dabigchet - i like his chances against randy, forrest, maybe evans. not so much against machida, shogun, rampage.

The way Randy handled a game and extremely dangerous Marc Coleman makes me worry for Franklin's safety. Franklin doesn't compare with Coleman in striking and wrestling. Franklin would be Ko'd by Coleman which is why Marc was released from his contract. TUF noobs want to see tv fighters like Franklin instead of battle hardened legends like Shamrock, Coleman, and Abbott.
3/18/10 4:59 PM
Fenix
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steamfitter - 
extremely dangerous Marc Coleman makes me worry for Franklin's safety. Franklin doesn't compare with Coleman in striking

ah jeez, not this shit again.
3/18/10 5:07 PM
Dznuts
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Rich. It will be good to see him make a serious run @205. I think there are a lot of fantastic bouts to be had.

However, I don't see him being the champ any time soon. Not saying it's impossible, but fuck, there are some serious guys in 205 right now. more than I have personally seen ever before.

It might just be a little too hectic for him to win the title there. Look forward to seeing his fights though.
3/18/10 6:20 PM
Eddie86

Steamfitter - 
dabigchet - i like his chances against randy, forrest, maybe evans. not so much against machida, shogun, rampage.

The way Randy handled a game and extremely dangerous Marc Coleman makes me worry for Franklin's safety. Franklin doesn't compare with Coleman in striking and wrestling. Franklin would be Ko'd by Coleman which is why Marc was released from his contract. TUF noobs want to see tv fighters like Franklin instead of battle hardened legends like Shamrock, Coleman, and Abbott.

Idiot.
3/18/10 7:45 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/18/10 7:48 PM
Rich is a good athlete, well rounded, and an experienced former Champion. He's still a good fight for anyone.....except you know who.
3/18/10 8:42 PM
Shit just got real

who?
3/18/10 9:02 PM
Steamfitter

The Antidote

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.