UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> MLS Off-Season Before the Off Season 2010

3/18/10 12:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
invalid
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the deadline has been set. We have a week to get a deal done or the players strike. I don't even know what to think about all this really. It didn't become much of a reality until my team crapped out of the Champions League to Toluca 5-4 last night.

Hopefully we see some games this year.

So what's the news so far?

NY's new stadium is gorgeous.

Philly is the new kid in town

Sounders fans wear a lot of plaid
3/18/10 8:49 PM
grizz632
662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Fire had a shitty offseason. I'm almost welcoming the strike at this point...
3/19/10 8:13 AM
invalid
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't really been following any other teams. Are you talking pre season friendly results?
3/19/10 10:07 AM
grizz632
662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nah, they've played fine in the preseason. I'm more concerned with the amount of quality players we've lost and the lack of any decent incoming talent to replace them. Bakary Soumare, Gonzalo Segares, Chris Rolfe, and Cuauhtemoc Blanco all gone, and Collins John the only notable addition. If McBride misses any significant time, like he did last season, I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from. I like Nyarko, but Collins John hasn't proven anything in MLS yet and Calen Carr blows.

I just get the feeling it's going to be a long season. If it ever gets going that is
3/20/10 3:26 PM
Takedown
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With base salaries of $20K/year for players, the possibility of a strike shouldn't really surprise anyone. A glance at the 2009 player salaries even showed one player making $15K/year. That's hardly what can be considered a professional salary. It's no wonder MLS hardly attracts any attention internationally, except of course for decorated players who are looking for a comfortable and relatively easy retirement package.

If Garber wants to make the MLS competitive and attractive, then he's going to have to compromise at some point.
3/22/10 10:32 PM
grizz632

The Fire just waived Jon Busch, leaving them with an untested 2nd year keeper to start the season and a rookie backing him up. Though there is some speculation that the new Fire head coach may be trying to get his former El Salvador keeper Miguel Montes signed on.

If that does actually happen, then De Los Cobos can go fornicate himself. Montes blows and Busch was a great guy to have around the organization. Last thing the Fire needs is to become a halfway house for shitty El Salvadorian footballers just because their old coach took over. But if the Montes rumors are true, and the deal for Deris Umanzor gets done then that's already starting to happen

I may not go to a single match this season after this. Fucking ridiculous...
3/23/10 1:28 PM
invalid

I was just reading that. Conspiracy theories abound:

New player agreement rules being what they are, Busch was about to become a guarenteed contract Weds at 5 PM for 165k. He gets cut now and is owed nothing, and looks like the new coach wants to bring in a good ol' boy from his old club.

Either that or a clash of personalities with the new coach. That's something he kind of has a history of, so whatever it is it isn't good for Chicago. Busch was a good leader and keeper.
3/24/10 7:57 AM
Extendo
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The news is, get your toques ready!

Toronto to host 2010 MLS Cup...on November 21. I know Garber promised it at some point, but honestly I am astounded.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/toronto-to-host-2010-mls-cup/article1510006/

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.