UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> hitting the bag with 14oz

3/19/10 4:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
greentrousers
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i bought this 14oz boxing gloves(with the velcro) ages ago because i took a kickboxing class, bought some thumbless bags too but i have no idea where they went.

ok so i recently became a member of this gym that has 3 heavy bags. as soon as i started playing with the bag i felt so entertained. now it's been 3 days and my kuckles are a bit tender, obviously i didnt go full force since breaking my hands would cause me some problem in my every day life.

but now i do, so my question is, is it alright if i hit the bag everyday with these 14oz gloves? i mean will they get destroyed in 2 weeks or less because they were not meant for bag work, should i buy proper bag gloves, or do i have no idea what i am talking about?
3/19/10 4:17 PM
Khun Kao
931 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a pair of 14 oz gloves that I've owned for almost 7 years that I've used for bag work, pad work, and sparring. They are only now beginning to wear out. It's all a matter of the quality of the gloves construction, IMO.

However, if you have the money to invest, it is ultimately best to have different gloves for bag/padwork vs. sparring.
3/19/10 4:33 PM
greentrousers
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks a lot khun kao, i basically just wanted to hear from experience.
3/19/10 4:34 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tell all my guys to buy two sets of gloves but no one listens.. 

3/19/10 11:52 PM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Khun Kao, you talking about the old red ThaiSmai gloves? Christ, they stunk like shit 7 years ago.

I thought you replaced them with a pair of 16oz Cleto Reyes from Porkchop.
3/20/10 8:23 AM
Khun Kao
931 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, the Red ThaiSmai. I use the Cleto's, but up until earlier this year I was still using the ThaiSmai's. I had cleaned them really good with those bleach towelette's, used dryer sheets and glove dogs and the stench is almost entirely gone now.

I've finally retired the ThaiSmai late last year...
3/22/10 12:43 PM
jhendo79
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a pair of 14 that I use for bag work and a pair of 16s for sparring, I'm a 150lb'r, It's also wise to get the smaller 8 oz'rs for focus mitts yah know? for speed and accuracy.
3/22/10 5:45 PM
greentrousers

i went for it and now have a scrape on my right knuckle from the glove. i completely forgot i had to use hand wraps, or maybe my skin is too soft. aside from that, it felt great.

yeah, this gym has just these 3 bags, there's no sparring since its a workout gym and i won't be fighting soon or ever i think. i just love the workout it gives me.  thanks a lot.

3/23/10 1:28 PM
Pson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am almost in the same boat...I have 18oz now that I use for pad work and sparring.  However, many guys in class are telling me to get 10oz or 12oz for pad work.  I weight 220 and can get a great set of Boons, but in 14oz.  Would that be to much weight for pad work?
3/25/10 6:06 AM
fabes
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bull_in_chinashop - 

I tell all my guys to buy two sets of gloves but no one listens.. 

I do coach!
4/23/10 6:58 PM
Somerville Bad Boy
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use the same pair of 16 oz for bagwork and sparring. Last pair I had lasted 3 years.
4/23/10 8:19 PM
CanadaBacon

I use 12 for pad work and bag work right now, in the process of ordering 14 for bag work
5/2/10 6:11 PM
piratepirate
617 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Khun Kao - I have a pair of 14 oz gloves that I've owned for almost 7 years that I've used for bag work, pad work, and sparring. They are only now beginning to wear out. It's all a matter of the quality of the gloves construction, IMO.

However, if you have the money to invest, it is ultimately best to have different gloves for bag/padwork vs. sparring.

well said, you get what you pay for.
5/16/10 7:20 PM
cuzz63
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/16/10 7:20 PM
Am I wrong is thinking that bag work with the heavier gloves can be a benefit? I use 18 oz and when I take them off my hands seem faster (no science to back it up). I liken it to training in a weight vest.
5/19/10 8:12 AM
Stoffer Inc

The only reason in my opinion to use smaller gloves for pad work and bags is accuracy. With smaller gloves it is easier to feel if you are hitting clean with your knuckles.

Regarding speed heavy gloves will build strength, but you also need lighter to work on explosiveness - just like regular weight training.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.