UnderGround Forums

RugbyGround >> New to game.

3/21/10 5:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
uglee
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the college I'm transferring to next fall has a Rugby club. I'm thinking I'll check it out. What should I expect? And what type of cardio should I be ready for. Note I'm pretty big 6'4 338 will that hinder me.
3/22/10 11:04 AM
fingers 'n' teeth
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you need to have pretty high endurance to play rugby.

338 pounds is a lot to carry around for 40 minutes. Your size is going to be a huge asset in the set piece (scrum especially) but moving around the park in open play will be hard for you unless you have great cardio. I would recomend trying to lose at leat 40 lbs. I'd say 280 would be a good goal for you to reach based on your height. Making you a good sized second or back row player. At the moment your bigger than most international props but perhaps a bit too tall.

passages of play tend to last between 2-3 minutes where you will be intermitently jogging and sprinting, tackling, getting tackled and getting back to your feet.

The best kind of training is fartleg training which combines periods of high intensity sprinting with jogging rest periods.

find a field and mark out 0, 15, 20, 30, and 50 meter lines.
Start at teh 0, sprint to the 15, drop to your stomach on the line, get back up and jog back to the 0.
when you hit the 0 line, turn and sprint to the 20, fall to your stomach, back up and jog back.
repeat this up to 50 yards and then do it to the 30 and back.
so you'd do 15, 20, 30, 50, 30, 20, 15.

you should be able to repeat this 3x with about a minute break in between.
If you can do that then your getting close to reasonable cardio for rugby.

Rugby takes a bucket load of cardio.

good luck dude.

3/22/10 3:50 PM
uglee
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks man. Dropping to 280 seems like a reasonable goal for the time I have. Also that workout sounds killer. Cardio seems simaler to MMA and wrestling. Mine's better then you'd think for my size ,shit I haven't been less then 215 since 8th grade, but not that good. I'll get there though. love any competitive situation and Rugby looks like a lot of fun.
4/7/10 8:02 AM
droc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck, if you can get your agility and cardio up you'll be a great asset to any team

DROC
5/21/10 8:13 PM
Jmunzies
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/0_0_resize.jpg
5/29/10 10:55 AM
TheRenegadeSperm
554 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have fun at second row. Also 6'4'' 338, bro you aren't big you are a Giant.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.