Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kai Tremeche
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/22/10 4:37 PM

What does everyone else think?
3/22/10 8:37 PM
Paul Hopkins
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nothing good about it. beyond the lousy technique and energy from both sides the wall color is atrocious.
3/22/10 10:54 PM
Kai Tremeche

I really liked the wall color, it really brought some vitality, or aliveness to the scene.
3/22/10 11:44 PM
Paul Hopkins
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Although the background did bring a certain synergy to the "training" it is the exact color of my living room and it is absolutely dreadful.

Why they weren't shocking the crap out of each other is my question.
3/27/10 8:00 AM
phauna

What a waste of a shocknife.
3/30/10 10:19 AM
WidespreadPanic

IMO, getting the Shock knife is a collosal waste of money and time. You don't need it.

You can get all the dueling and knife play you need using a training blade - in fact using a soft blade.

It's about angling, footwork, distancing and realizing the knife's potential as a force multiplier.

(See Ray Floro and Dwight McLemore's stuff)

Treat it as a hobby - sure learn the FMA stuff but imo, it's useless in the modern world. Those guys got good because they 'lived' with their knives 10+ hrs/day and were in a situation where they did fight. Thinking you're going to cut or stab someone in the modern world is just insanity.

3/30/10 12:00 PM
Kai Tremeche

WidespreadPanic - IMO, getting the Shock knife is a collosal waste of money and time. You don't need it.

You can get all the dueling and knife play you need using a training blade - in fact using a soft blade.

It's about angling, footwork, distancing and realizing the knife's potential as a force multiplier.

(See Ray Floro and Dwight McLemore's stuff)

Treat it as a hobby - sure learn the FMA stuff but imo, it's useless in the modern world. Those guys got good because they 'lived' with their knives 10+ hrs/day and were in a situation where they did fight. Thinking you're going to cut or stab someone in the modern world is just insanity.

There's a fine line between having fun and being insane with it.
3/30/10 12:30 PM
WidespreadPanic

Kai - trouble is, look at your average knife fighting fan or student - they carry blades around, and fantasize about using them on people and have little realistic idea about the dangers, the frightening wounds and the possibilities of getting diseases. It's like 'brown belt fever' in TMA.

If your job requires it - say LEOs, rescue workers, that's one thing. And sure carry a 2-4" pocket knife. But to be packing two knives and driving around suburbia in an SUV and thinking about solving a road rage incident by brandishing your knife - is that kind of paranoia healthy?
3/30/10 12:50 PM
Kai Tremeche

WSP: That's what people do with guns already. They dream about using them.

It's not a healthy mindset and it's not just limited to the knife toters... But I'm sure you already knew that.

It's why I'm always very suspicious of self-defense training.
4/7/10 8:16 PM
twinkletoesCT
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
I would like an opportunity to "try to shank Sam". I think he did it wrong.
4/9/10 1:42 AM
shen
1062 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

phauna - What a waste of a shocknife.

This.

They are just playing, not realistically training.
4/9/10 2:20 PM
BEEF & CHEESE

phauna - What a waste of a shocknife.
4/11/10 8:30 PM
Calbert

I don't particularly like the video. It's more than ok to go slow when you train, but realistic training has to be reverse engineered so to speak. You have to see what happens at a fast, high pressure pace and then train for that accordingly. These guys are taking advantage of the slow pace by training and reinforcing techniques that are not realistic, especially with a knife.

As far as the knife and self-defense argument, I think we've created a sort of false dichotomy. You're basically saying that you think it's crazy to consider using a knife in the modern world for self-defense OR you are an unstable person that yearns to use a knife to settle a bar fight. I admit, I do know many people that fit in both categories (mostly the latter, lol), but I think there is a continuum that must be considered. There are many people that carry weapons (whether it be firearms, blades, blunt weapons, etc.) as a precautionary measure. They hope that they never have to use it, but they will if their life or the lives of their loved ones is threatened. Yes, a healthy lifestyle, awareness, living in a "good" area, etc. are all very important, but they don't necessarily eliminate the need to be prepared in other ways.
4/11/10 11:03 PM
Kai Tremeche

Calbert - Yes, a healthy lifestyle, awareness, living in a "good" area, etc. are all very important, but they don't necessarily eliminate the need to be prepared in other ways.

Five point racing harness and a helmet for everyday driving.
4/12/10 3:21 AM
Paul Hopkins

there was a machete vs knife fight at a local convenience store today. when the cops got there both guys had given up. they were subsequently take to the hospital.

Had they chosen shocknives over a garden tool and cutlery they could have skipped the dr. and had a picnic after the skirmish.

the older i get the less confidence i have in my fellow man. that these people can vote and decide rules that will govern a major portion of my life is totally sweet.

4/12/10 10:16 AM
Paul Hopkins

Two men injured in fight involving machete, knife

A man with a machete and another with a knife were injured Saturday afternoon after they brawled outside a Dari Mart store at 4215 Franklin Blvd., in Glenwood. Witnesses said the men began fighting in the store’s parking lot and the scuffle spilled out onto the street at one point. Witnesses said both men stopped fighting and were calm when Lane County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrived, and that both men were taken from the scene by ambulance. 

4/18/10 10:25 AM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neither tried even one time to touch the other. Total weak sauce.
7/6/10 8:49 PM
Burton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/06/10 8:51 PM
JKDU--MMA For The Street, BJJ, Kali, President
I agree with John- no intention there whatsoever. The Shocknife is a GREAT tool when trained realistically. It does have its drawbacks, but the benefits outweigh the shortcomings.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.