UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pellegrino: Head plant knocked Camoes out

3/28/10 12:29 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

At UFC 111 Fabricio Camoes took Kurt Pellegrino's back, and locked in what appeared to be a definitive rear naked choke. Batman then executed a defense not taught in gi class - he dove forward, with their combined weights driving Camoes straight onto his head. In the next round Pellegrino returned the submission favor, ending it with a 65k winning submission of the night rear naked choke.

"To be honest with you, he was completely knocked out. He froze. I turned around  and his eyes were rolled in the back of his head. He was like frozen and stuck on me. When I was able to get around, I thought they were going to stop the fight. When I turned around, he was out. By just me hitting him a little bit, it kind of woke him up."

"It was the weirdest thing."

3/28/10 12:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
worldfightfan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the instant replay on that head plant was like 'ouch'
3/28/10 12:33 PM
boot2thehead

That was the best shape I ever saw Kurt in - his new conditioning coach is doing great things for him.
3/28/10 12:40 PM
puddlesmith
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fouls : Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck
3/28/10 12:41 PM
caposa
1811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/28/10 12:43 PM
solidsnake
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skull Punch Fightwear, t-shirt guy
Yeah, you could hear him hit the canvas and was surprised he wasn't out cold.
3/28/10 12:43 PM
Fugazi

Damn, i didn't realize last night how close to a broken neck that fight had.
3/28/10 12:44 PM
john joe
387 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only Magazine, Website Editor
puddlesmith - Fouls : Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck

I think that's in the pro-active/aggressive rather than re-active/defensive sense;
3/28/10 12:45 PM
Mike Russell
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It isn't a spike if his opponent has control of him. If Kurt was in Camoes position, had his back and picked him up and spiked him, it would have been illegal.

3/28/10 12:52 PM
Wednesdays
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should be illegal IMO. Could easily break someone's neck like that.
3/28/10 1:18 PM
Kirik
1938 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, President
 Completely legal moves - Camoes had control of Pellegrino, and not vice versa.
3/28/10 1:22 PM
Foos
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would be in favor of banning this move.
3/28/10 1:24 PM
Alabama Man
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ me too.
3/28/10 1:27 PM
Biggy
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks Kirik that makes sense now as last night I was wondering whether that was legal or not.

I think I remember Uno doing this to BJ in their 2nd fight, but Uno tends to reach around and grab the back of the head before jumping down which then brings up a gray area of what would consititute control... just thinking out loud here :)
3/28/10 1:28 PM
jude099
435 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Russell - 
It isn't a spike if his opponent has control of him. If Kurt was in Camoes position, had his back and picked him up and spiked him, it would have been illegal.

this would have not only been knockout of the night, but probably greatest knockout of all time...
3/28/10 1:29 PM
Samoanpowr
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't remember who he did it with but a guy had Faber's back but he was upside down and Faber was standing. Faber sat down to spike his head into the mat. Who was "in control" in that situation (if you remember it)?

3/28/10 1:31 PM
Fletch F Fletch

I thought Camoes was out then and there. I'm surprised he got back in to it.
3/28/10 1:32 PM
Eddie86

Pretty sweet! Imo
3/28/10 1:34 PM
timmyfront
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Camoes put himself in that position.

that's the risk you take when you try a standing RNC.

again, this is MMA not ADCC.
3/28/10 1:36 PM
puddlesmith
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's blatantly dangerous, if it's not included in the rules than I'd say let's open up the rules to other "dangerous" things like knees on the ground and soccer kicks.
3/28/10 1:37 PM
caposa
1811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i was hoping he would do it

that slam turned the tide of the fight
3/28/10 1:43 PM
NHB USA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OUUCH

Camoes is a tough dude for being alive after that.
3/28/10 1:44 PM
Sortilege

I rarely disagree with Kirik but that moves was clearly illegal.

The rules state that you can't spike someone on their head or neck and that's what Pellegrino did.

It doesn't matter that Camoes was on his back, he couldn't let go of Pellegrino because *Pellegrino* was holding onto Camoes - scroll up look at the pics. Pellegrino grabs Camoes arms, holds him in place and then plants Camoes onto his neck.

They were also about 2 feet off the ground are you suggesting that Camoes should be alert enough, to choke Pellegrino out and within the space of 2 feet be good enough to disentangle himself from a person holding on to him while being hurled headfirst into the ground?

Morever, if what Pellegrino did *wasn't* illegal could you give me an instance where spiking someone on their neck would be illegal?
3/28/10 1:45 PM
TheParrot
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

puddlesmith - It's blatantly dangerous, if it's not included in the rules than I'd say let's open up the rules to other "dangerous" things like knees on the ground and soccer kicks.

so what would the actual rule be?  No front roll when the opponent has your back?  GTFO!
3/28/10 1:45 PM
Mike Russell
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sortilege - I rarely disagree with Kirik but that moves was clearly illegal.

The rules state that you can't spike someone on their head or neck and that's what Pellegrino did.

It doesn't matter that Camoes was on his back, he couldn't let go of Pellegrino because *Pellegrino* was holding onto Camoes - scroll up look at the pics. Pellegrino grabs Camoes arms, holds him in place and then plants Camoes onto his neck.

They were also about 2 feet off the ground are you suggesting that Camoes should be alert enough, to choke Pellegrino out and within the space of 2 feet be good enough to disentangle himself from a person holding on to him while being hurled headfirst into the ground?

Morever, if what Pellegrino did *wasn't* illegal could you give me an instance where spiking someone on their neck would be illegal?
 Did you write the rules?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.