UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> MLS 2010 - We Call it Soccer

3/29/10 9:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
invalid
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First week happened, no strike. So I figured we could use a new thread to bullshit about the new season.

Watched the first Phily game in Pittsburgh and felt bad for their fans. Ouch.
3/29/10 11:23 AM
Pinback
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A lot of Youth U.S. Internationals on Philly. Will be interesting to see how they develop. That's one team I'll be watching regularly.

Hopefully, NY can put it together this season. They look like they are getting a great turn-out at the new stadium so far, looks like an awesome atmosphere.

I have read rumors that New York has had talks with Raul and Henry...Don't know how reliable the rumor is, though. They are both 32 now, so I guess it's realistic a possibility.
3/29/10 11:37 AM
invalid
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who knows. The whole ____ to NY thing has been run into the ground by players using it to bargain against their current contracts. We'll see because, then again, they do have Juan Pablo Angel. They look like a completely new team in the two games of theirs I've seen.

For some reason my DVR cut out at the 56th minute mark of that game
3/31/10 11:13 AM
Extendo
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, could be a rough season for Philly. Hopefully rougher than Toronto's.

I'm just happy we have a season at all.

And, even though I am happy that we are getting the MLS Cup, Garber is fucking nuts to do it here.

I just realized it is going to be an 8:30 PM start on November 21st. The temp drops at least 10 degrees when the sun goes down. Also, the winds from the Lake tend to whip up at night. It's going to be one cold ass night.
3/31/10 11:19 AM
invalid

Jesus. All that grass is going to be dormant too :/

I'd venture to guess that DC is going to be the 2009 New York Red Bulls and Philly the expansion Chivas/SLC. Could be rough.

Figures that in the East there seems to be some teams with targets on their backs like that and the schedule goes to a balanced 2 game version :P
3/31/10 11:49 AM
Extendo
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the grass should be okay actually. They have some gel heating system under the entire pitch, and warming blankets for above or something like that.

Not too sure on my predictions other than Energy Drink trying to buy up everyone they can.
4/1/10 2:49 PM
Extendo

Spending sprees coming! 2nd and 3rd DP's allowed.
4/1/10 3:29 PM
Pinback
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome!
4/1/10 5:43 PM
grizz632
671 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meh. most teams don't even use theirs. Just an excuse for LA to sign a third DP as a replacement for Beckham to keep Donovan happy.
4/2/10 2:24 AM
Takedown
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I watched New York play Santos and Chicago, I didn't even recognize the team. Hans Bakke (however you spell his surname) has done an incredible job just getting the Red Bulls up to snuff with their conditioning, passing and overall attack. None of that existed last season.

There was a rumor that Ljunberg had contacted Henry and strongly suggested he come to the US to play. Another another rumor circulated last year that Henry was supposed to play down at Miami FC since they apparently have some tie to Barca. It's all speculative, so who knows.
4/3/10 6:56 AM
Extendo

Sounds like the rumour just got a lot stronger.

Jens Lehmann to team up with former Arsenal pal Thierry Henry at MLS side New York Red Bulls

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1263185/Jens-Lehmann-team-Arsenal-pal-Thierry-Henry-MLS-New-York-Red-Bulls.html#ixzz0k28Ozo2P
4/5/10 7:29 AM
invalid

There is no Miami FC. They we're a ludicrous expansion proposal that got shot down. Henry has actually stated many times (not just when his contract was in negotiations) that he would like to come play in New York at some point.

The 2nd and 3rd DP thing sounds pretty sweet, but only if they scratched that 400k of it being against the salary cap lol

Jesus, NY already looks good this year. With this I don't even know what to think.
4/5/10 7:37 AM
invalid

oh shit, i didn't know the DP thing had passed. I thought it was just a rumor lol

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-expands-designated-player-rule

In a mechanism that works similar to a luxury tax in other professional sports, an MLS team seeking a third DP slot would be required to pay $250,000 that would be evenly shared as allocation money with all the other MLS clubs that do not have three DPs.

The Designated Player rule, popularly referred to as the “Beckham Rule," was first introduced in 2007. It allowed MLS teams to pay a “designated” player above the club’s league designated salary budget.

Each DP player signing will now count as $335,000 toward a team’s salary budget and $167,500 if the DP is signed midseason. According to the league, the $335,000 figure represents approximately 13 percent of a team’s salary budget. Previously, teams were charged $415,000 against the salary budget for the first DP. A team can also use its allocation money to bring that salary budget hit down to just $150,000.

Effective immediately? I'd put that rumor of Henry pretty damn high up there then
4/5/10 11:13 AM
Pinback

Henry would be a great addition, but I'm not sure why they would go after Lehmann. I don't think Lehmann would have that big of an impact and I assume he would eat up a DP slot, as well?

I've been pretty impressed with Coundoul so far this season.

4/5/10 12:05 PM
invalid

Coundoul makes amazing plays. He's an excellent shot stopper. But he also makes incredibly bad decisions, especially on crosses lol
4/5/10 2:22 PM
Pinback

lol For some reason, African keepers will come off their line and swat at anything that crosses the goal mouth. Doesn't matter whether they have realistic chance of getting to ball or not. (<--no racist)

4/5/10 2:40 PM
Extendo

Glad I swapped out my field side seats if Lehmann is coming!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvGJkFf5bts&feature=related
4/5/10 7:49 PM
Pinback

He's one cooky focker.
4/6/10 7:29 AM
invalid

Edited: 04/06/10 7:34 AM
Grant Wahl (SI writer) tweeted that Henry, Viera, and Pires signed for the next transfer.<br /><br />

edit - "RT @benlyt France Foot tmw on wave of Frenchies about to hit MLS: Henry leading the way, Pires and Vieira set to follow."
4/6/10 11:10 AM
Pinback

Holy sheet!
4/6/10 11:18 AM
invalid

New York is about to get Beckham'd lol
4/6/10 11:57 AM
Extendo

This could be a really interesting year.

Has anyone else heard about the reserves coming back? TFC just signed Kosic, who will now be our 3rd keeper. Either they are trying to ship out Frei for Edu cash, or something else is afoot.
4/6/10 1:14 PM
melvins
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Help me out here guys, I need to choose an MLS team to support. All suggestions welcome (unless they happen to be LA Galaxy recommendations).
4/6/10 1:46 PM
Extendo

Where are you located, melvins?
4/6/10 2:59 PM
melvins
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm located in the UK, so really am open to anything bar the Galaxy in terms of MLS. ESPN UK shows a few MLS games, and I'd probably be more inclined to enjoy the league if I was rooting for someone.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.