UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Some of my favorite Quotes

3/30/10 11:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BigSherm
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"If you want to study the social and political history of modern nations, study hell-Thomas Merton

"When you give to God what is God's, there is nothing left for Caeser"-Dorothy Day

"Christianity is the only army in the world that shoots it's wounded"-Jay Bakker

"God has a special place for the poor, and He is with us; if we are with them"-Bono

"Ever since I started to follow Jesus, He keeps getting me into trouble"-Shane Claiborne

"God does not punish sin, our sin punishes us"- Me

"Shut up, you idiot"-John Jensen

3/30/10 10:04 PM
jimmy23
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That John Jensen is one smart cookie

isnt he a high falutin televangelist?  
5/8/10 7:06 PM
Ridgeback
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great quotes. It is a shame that Merton went Apostate at the end of his life and rejected Christianity for Buddhism.  
5/8/10 7:36 PM
Lahi
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ridge is that a pretty definite thing? I had heard that, but was digging around on the web recently trying to find any evidence of it. From what it looked like he stayed Christian, even though he was still deeply involved in Buddhism. I don't know if I was finding sites that wanted to portay a certain picture of him, or not?
5/8/10 7:37 PM
Lahi
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love the quotes Sherm.
5/8/10 9:44 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was under the impression that Merton rejected duality but never rejected Jesus.
5/13/10 10:42 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

“Chance favors the prepared mind."—Louis Pasteur
5/13/10 1:50 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shammai said: Make your study of the Torah a fixed habit. Say little and do much, and receive all men with a cheerful face.

Hillel used to say: A brutish man cannot fear sin; an ignorant man cannot be pious, nor can the shy man learn, or the impatient man teach. He who engages excessively in business cannot become wise. In a place where there are no men strive to be a man

Shimon the Righteous was one of the last survivors of the Great Assembly. He used to say: On three things the world is sustained: on the Torah, on service, and on deeds of loving kindness.

Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight.

Marcus Aurelius

Our life is what our thoughts make it.

Marcus Aurelius

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Marcus Aurelius

A consciousness of wrongdoing is the first step to salvation...you have to catch yourself doing it before you can correct it

Seneca

It is a rough road that leads to the path of greatness

Seneca

All philosophy lies in two words, sustain and abstain.

Epictetus

Difficulties are things that show a person what they are.

Epictetus

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.

Epictetus
5/13/10 3:54 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/13/10 3:56 PM

adf
5/13/10 7:03 PM
Lahi

Thanks MS, good stuff.
5/13/10 7:08 PM
Lahi

Do not be one of those who, rather than risk failure, do nothing.

Thomas Merton

The devil is no fool. He can get people feeling about heaven the way they ought to feel about hell. He can make them fear the means of grace the way they do not fear sin. And he does so, not by light but by obscurity, not by realities but by shadows; not by clarity and substance, but by dreams and the creatures of psychosis. And men are so poor in intellect that a few cold chills down their spine will be enough to keep them from ever finding out the truth about anything.

Thomas Merton
5/22/10 5:28 PM
theBEAToff

"God created man, but Sam Colt made 'em equal!"
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu14/theBEAToff215/samcolt.jpg
5/27/10 9:41 AM
theBEAToff

A journey of a thousand masterbations starts with one stroke
6/9/10 2:18 AM
Lahi

The will of the world is always a will to death, a will to suicide. We must not accept this suicide, and we must so act that it cannot take place. - Jacques Ellul
6/9/10 3:10 AM
Ridgeback
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For Christians above all men are forbidden to correct the 
stumblings of sinners by force...it is necessary to make a man 
better not by force but by persuasion. We neither have authority 
granted us by law to restrain sinners, nor, if it were, should we 
know how to use it, since God gives the crown to those who are 
kept from evil, not by force, but by choice. 

St. John Chrysostom 
6/9/10 4:30 AM
Lahi

Like that one Ridge. You mentioned reading once that Merton had become a synchronist IIRC? Curious what book, I'd like to check it out.
6/9/10 8:53 PM
Ridgeback

Lahi - Like that one Ridge. You mentioned reading once that Merton had become a synchronist IIRC? Curious what book, I'd like to check it out.

There really isn't  a single source for that.  The book I would recommend is called The Life You Save May Be Your Own.  It is an excellent book in its own right and covers the lives of Dorothy Day, Thomas Merton, Walker Percy, and Flannery O'Connor, all of whom were considered to be part of the "Holy Spirit movement." 

You might also read "A Letter to Thomas Merton" by Seraphim Rose, which catalogs where his thought appears to start drifting away from  Christianity.  You can find this on the internet.

It is not the case that he made any kind of straightforward statement rejecting Catholicism, but I believe he drifted into syncretism.  Other people certainly disagree so it is one of those things where you have to read up on it and then come to your own conclusions.  Certainly his earlier writings are excellent and his Seven Story Mountain is now a classic of Christian writing.  

I don't want to appear judgmental either as if I have a right to judge any man.  I believe he was drifting at the end of his life, but I also believe God is merciful.
6/12/10 2:06 PM
zealot66
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, he will meet with success unknown in the light of common day- Thoreau
6/13/10 12:57 PM
Dan O'Connell
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/21/10 9:25 PM
Lahi

"No one has a right to sit down & feel helpless, there's too much to do."- Dorthy Day
6/26/10 10:46 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What you resist, persists..Carl Jung

Whether you think you can or can"t, either way you are right.  Henry Ford

All power is from within, And is therefore under our own control. Robert Callier

God opposes the proud but favors the humble. Apostle Peter

What do you mean,If i can?, Jesus asked. Anything is possible if a person believes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.