UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Critique my lack of technique...

4/2/10 3:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Overhand Write
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a short vid of me working the Thai bag. I would appreciate any critique or feedback, because I don't have a coach right now here in Iraq. Don't worry about hurting my feelings I need to improve.Thanks!
4/2/10 3:41 AM
Bryan72
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

step into that right kick more! And kick everywhere, not just low.
4/2/10 6:23 AM
Normal MT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

def, step into that right kick more, bend the leg too and change levels. Take off the shinpads, that looks like a good bag, you shouldnt worry about your shins, your trying to give them a beating and toughing them up anyway.
4/2/10 7:45 AM
Khun Kao
1147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Normal MT beat me to it.... lose the shinpads when working the bag (unless you have an injury).

You're moving your feet much too slow, therefore you're slow. Your punches have no "snap" to them. You're just throwing slow bombs.

You don't rotate enough when you throw roundhouse kicks. Think about your heel turning towards the target, OR think about turning your knee away from the target. For some reason, I found that thinking of turning my knee away from the target worked better for me while attempting to learn this kick.

When you throw your Teeps (Push Kicks), you're not kicking with your body. You are only lifting your leg. There is now power and no stability. You need to lean away and straighten everything out as you throw a Push Kick. Think about locking everything out into a straight line from the ball of your foot to the shoulder on the same side. Every "angle" between your foot and your shoulder leads to loss of power.

Other than that... train hard, train smart
4/2/10 7:47 AM
Khun Kao
1147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Addendum...

When Bryan72 and Normal MT say "step into the kick more", what they mean is step in the DIRECTION that you're kicking! It does not mean "step towards your target". So in this instance you are kicking the heavy bag. You do not step towards the heavy bag when delivering a round kick. You step at an approximately 45 degree angle to enable you to kick THROUGH the heavy bag.

"Kicking THROUGH the heavy bag" being the operative point.
4/2/10 7:49 AM
Khun Kao

Last thought...

Rewatched your kicks.... When you drive your kick THROUGH the target, you do so using your hips! You don't kick through the target with your leg, you DRIVE the leg through the target with your hip!
4/2/10 6:39 PM
OctaviousBP

Angles. You stayed in directly the same spot the entire time... quite possibly for the camera, but still.
4/2/10 10:18 PM
sevenone
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think (Just my opinion)that there are many different ways to use the heavy bag and as good as the bag is as crucial as it can be at times it can also reinforce bad habbits.
Are you using the bag to work technique, for cardio, for power development?
I try to be concious of things like head movement, crisp punches, and defense. I don't want to teach myself bad habits you know? Like not bringing my hands back promptly and what have you.
When on the bag working technique I like to really try to develop the things that are weak in my game and work them out as I warm up and cool down I take two rounds for both.
I think it's awesome you put your vids out there for people to see it's a great way of getting unbiased feedback. Best of luck in Iraq
4/3/10 3:01 AM
Overhand Write
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate you all taking the time to do so. I have been thinking about all the advice, and will do my best to implement it. As far as shin guards go, Im still conditioning my shins. So when I want to cry and be a big “whaaa my shins hurt” baby, instead of skipping a workout I will throw on the shin guards. Honestly, I had to really think about posting this, but you all gave me exactly what I need, thanks again!    
4/6/10 1:56 PM
SanshiroSugata
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you have the basic techniques down, concentrate on speed while keeping your form.
4/24/10 9:01 PM
psychoslasher

Everyone pretty much covered the kicking aspect of the video but be sure to notice your punches too. The first thing I noticed was that you are dropping your hand for that right hook before throwing it. This becomes very noticable when you are throwing it in a combo. Right before the punch comes, that hand drops down low and then comes in an upward motion for the hook. Be sure to fire it right from where it's at.

Another thing to remember is focus on pivoting your hips into your punches too especially on those hooks. Keep those hooks tight and pivot at the hips to unleash the power in them. Even when punching lightly, always keep the hip movement explosive.

As someone said above, it's important to keep those bad habits to a minimum when training.
4/25/10 7:53 AM
OUTCOLD
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mix it up, you're at the same tempo the whole time.

honestly bro your worried about banging up your shins with kicks that slow and soft?
you need to throw it with some intent , you wouldnt pull the skin off gravy with those kicks. kick through the bag kick like you want to fuck it up, Imagine you are chopping down a tree!
4/26/10 8:57 AM
Outkaster
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try to think of going through the target mentally. Make sure your breathing. Your shoulders are not relaxed enough.
5/3/10 5:53 AM
Stoffer Inc

Another thing is your footwork. I can not see your feet because they are not in the picture, but they way you punch and kick I'm pretty sure you stand flat footed most of the time. You need to get up on your toes - if you make new videos remember to get your feet in the picture as well.

To get up on your toes, try to tape something under your heels so you can feel when you put weight on your heels (but nothing that will hurt you). Do shaddowboxing with it on and try to stay on you toes ... should improve your footwork and make your kicks and punches faster
5/3/10 12:13 PM
The Sultan
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/03/10 12:15 PM
Positives:

You are throwing combinations and that's good.  You are mixing up punches and kicks and changing your weapons.  Good stuff.  Keep practicing different set ups for different combos and make sure you practice finishing with a leg kick or head kick.

You sense that you need some critiquing and that is awesome too.  A lot of guys wanna believe that they know it all and don't like the humility in having someone correct their technique....keep it up with the open mind...

Stuff to work on:

A)  You drop your right hand on your jabs a lot.  A good thai boxer can time that and set up a head kick when you jab.  Keep your right hand up by your face or chin when you jab.  Keeping your hands up also helps to facilitate a smoother cross.

B)  Your punches seem to be arm punches and do not look like you are driving from your legs much.  Focus more on clean technique and getting your body behind your punches.  Push from your legs and deliver the punch through your arm and fist....punch through your target...not just at the surface.

C)  You should be hopping in to your low kick every so often.  I do kick without hopping in once in a while for speed, but it's not the rule.  Another thing is that you should try to get your kick to land as if you are kicking over an object next to the target about the height of your knee.  What that means is that you should turn your hip over on the leg kick and angle downwards towards your target, simultaneously while hopping in to your kick and pumping your arms for balance, control and power delivery.

Here's a video to help.

D)  Try to learn to relax your leg (is difficult to explain without being with you in person).  Your leg should look like a rat tail or a whip.  Very relaxed.  This is difficult to do for the most part and takes time to learn how to relax it.  

E)  Vary the types of kicks thrown.  Throw a few head kicks, some body kicks and leg kicks.... in there too a little more (Unless ofcourse you are focusing on one type of kick)

F)  When you throw the body kick, you should pump your arms throughout the kick...It really helps with balance and power delivery.  Swing your relaxed leg like a bat using your hips and arms for the movement.  You should also initiate the kick with a step in the direction of the kick.  About 45 degrees.

Take off your shin guards....Your shins will get tougher over time but only if you use them.

5/3/10 12:21 PM
The Sultan
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't forget to add in knees and elbows at some point too.
5/3/10 12:25 PM
The Sultan

Edited: 05/03/10 2:43 PM
 Your teeps should start with you lifting up your leg and using your hip to push the kick through.  When you teep you swing the arm of the side you are teeping with to help with balance...thrown right your leg is the barrier so you do not need your arm up by your face on the teep momentarily....you need to get it back up to your face after the strike.

Do not let your weight fall forward on the kick....this means your balance is off and you aren't doing it right.  It returns back to the origin.  Retract the leg.

also, keep in mind, there are a few different types of teeps...the main "defensive" teep and the "offensive" teep.

1 is used to keep the person at bay and disrupt timing.  It's also a great way to set up other strikes.

The other is used in a variety of ways....one use being an immediate follow up to the first defensive teep.  

Here's vid to help:

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.