UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Cisco question - frame relay / DLCI's

4/2/10 5:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mitch Baker
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In studying for my CCNP Route/BSCI exam I am having to do a lot of Frame Relay Switch configuration in the process of configuring different protocols to work in NBMA networks.

That said...

I cannot fucking wrap my head around DLCI's. Especially from the Frame Relay "cloud" side of things. I can be looking at a configuration of a lab setup, have all the info right there in front of me and still not be able to really understand the FRAME RELAY ROUTE commands.

Can anyone who is a CCNP or equivalent shed some light on this or at least tell me if I am wasting my time in trying to figure out frame relay switch configuration.

I mean, I do work for an ISP but outside of my own personal labs have never had to do these funky DLCI configs.

anyhoo. any help would be much appreciated.
4/3/10 1:37 AM
Road Warrior Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mitch Baker - In studying for my CCNP Route/BSCI exam I am having to do a lot of Frame Relay Switch configuration in the process of configuring different protocols to work in NBMA networks.

That said...

I cannot fucking wrap my head around DLCI's. Especially from the Frame Relay "cloud" side of things. I can be looking at a configuration of a lab setup, have all the info right there in front of me and still not be able to really understand the FRAME RELAY ROUTE commands.

Can anyone who is a CCNP or equivalent shed some light on this or at least tell me if I am wasting my time in trying to figure out frame relay switch configuration.

I mean, I do work for an ISP but outside of my own personal labs have never had to do these funky DLCI configs.

anyhoo. any help would be much appreciated.
I have never seen anything with DLCI in the wild - I'm not on routers all that much though :/

4/3/10 12:11 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DLCI is just a L2 identifier, like a MAC address. It is locally significant on the frame relay switch. The route commands are just telling the FR switch what interface to forward a frame out of, based on the incoming DLCI.

The frame-relay route commands go like this:

incoming DLCI "XXX" goes out interface "YYY" and gets retagged with outgoing DLCI "ZZZ"

So if the command is: frame-relay route 602 serial0/0/0 206

Then if FR switch receives a frame tagged with 602 it will forward it out interface serial0/0/0 and retag it 206.

The sho frame-relay route command solidifies this:

Input Intf Input Dlci Output Intf Output Dlci Status
Serial1/0/0 602 Serial0/0/0 206 active

Some good reading here:

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=170741&seqNum=8
4/6/10 12:35 PM
Mitch Baker
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

k,

thanks b_s.

im reconfiguring my frame switch in a few minutes and will hopefully be able to keep from wrapping my head in duct tape.

your info, as written in language that doesnt sound like stereo instructions should help.
4/6/10 8:47 PM
Mitch Baker

i dont know what it is but the way you explained it totally provided the needed epiphany.

my cloud is rockin
4/8/10 1:44 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had to deal with a lot of frame stuff 2 jobs ago and had a practical exam on a very similar scenario for my CCSI. Glad my pain can be of benefit. :D
6/18/10 4:57 PM
Mitch Baker

needed this again...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.