UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Renzo Gracie on GSP's inability to finish Hardy

4/4/10 11:50 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

"Jiu-jitsu is a very, very important part of this style of fighting. If it wasn't, I don't think I'd have Georges St-Pierre for 15 days at my school now training, and after he finished his fight, the first thing he did was to grab us, to go in the back, and says 'show me what I did wrong, why I didn't finish him."

"It was a very simple question. When he was doing the Kimura lock, instead of being at 12 o'clock, he should have been at 9 o'clock. Like his lower body shouldn't have been here, that would give him the leverage to actually get the guy's arm to break."

"Things like that, I know next time he won't make the mistake."

Read entire article...

4/4/10 12:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ShadoKhan
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what I dont' understand is GSP had a similar problem with Kos, couldn't quite get the Kimura right....

but you gotta love the guys attitude... keep getting better!

I would like to see him spend some time with some boxers, a little more head movement would be good... :)
4/4/10 1:26 PM
torquemada
279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He said that at the Q and A Wednesday; Renzo is the man...
4/4/10 1:31 PM
MrSmiff
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ohferfuxsakes - 
ShadoKhan - what I dont' understand is GSP had a similar problem with Kos, couldn't quite get the Kimura right....

but you gotta love the guys attitude... keep getting better!

I would like to see him spend some time with some boxers, a little more head movement would be good... :)

KOS had a deathgrip on his own shorts...if i remember correctly.

yip
4/4/10 1:34 PM
Jack Skellington
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is why GSP is the best
4/4/10 2:25 PM
On My Knees for Doom
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Georges should be more worried about his back control imo
4/4/10 3:03 PM
ajjr0ller
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ good point
4/5/10 2:47 AM
Xspur
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm still getting a kick out of the fact that GSP just completely dominated another title contender and most of the post fight talk is critiquing his game. I wonder if so many people would be so critical about those sub attempts if George hadn't been so critical of them himself in the first place.
4/5/10 3:09 AM
The Sultan
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good input....

I had to laugh when a bunch of people were stating that GSP had "let it go" because he was such a gentleman....He wanted to break Hardy's arm, he just didn't have the sub right and it wasn't working.

Nothing supernatural about it.
4/5/10 3:45 AM
quidnunc
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

here, let Fedor teach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRasB-x3p-g

for Hardy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAjlM58wWMM#t=3m45s
4/5/10 4:35 AM
EnlightenedOne
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has great positional control but looked like a white belt out there with his submissions. Raise your hips on arm bars, and crank kimuras... pretty simple. He should train with Keith Florian in the off season to tweak his end game. Its worked wonders for Kenny.
4/5/10 5:30 AM
FingerorMoon
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is weird though.
Isn't he supposed to be a black belt ?

4/5/10 5:54 AM
JCMcGee
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ha...it's probably old, but I hadn't seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0OuPMYGfnY
4/5/10 8:43 AM
Tombmatter

I love GSP, but this is why you shouldnt give McBlack belts to wrestlers just because they can take someone down and hold them there. Oh well, he can always ask some technical advice from another great BB technician in the same camp, Rashad.
4/5/10 8:50 AM
steverowbotham
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good article
4/5/10 8:53 AM
billy914
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tombmatter - I love GSP, but this is why you shouldnt give McBlack belts to wrestlers just because they can take someone down and hold them there. Oh well, he can always ask some technical advice from another great BB technician in the same camp, Rashad.

What about wrestlers who can pass Penn or Serra's guard? Even in MMA, that is damn impressive.

He didn't "just hold" Hardy either, he advanced his position constantly and attempted subs. Some people are just hard to finish, doesn't mean he isn't a blackbelt. Not to mention, everyone makes mistakes in an MMA fight they wouldn't in the gym. GSP has trained in the gi at Gracie Barra HQ numerous times, I am certain his black belt is legit.

4/5/10 10:01 AM
triso
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another point a number of you forget is that even black belts have holes in their game and aren't perfect with every technique in Jiu Jitsu.

Even D1 Wrestlers are the same way. There are so many techniques in grappling it's nearly impossible to master them all, and you will certainly be better at some then others.

4/5/10 11:20 AM
tjmitch
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol...you guys are more retarded that usual if you dont know GSP's BB is 100% legit.

How many of you fucktards could pass BJ's Guard? Matt Serras?

Yeah, thats what I thought.
4/5/10 12:08 PM
The Sultan
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tjmitch - lol...you guys are more retarded that usual if you dont know GSP's BB is 100% legit.

How many of you fucktards could pass BJ's Guard? Matt Serras?

Yeah, thats what I thought.

MMA isn't grappling.
4/5/10 1:09 PM
Tombmatter

It's easier to pass guard in MMA where one has to worry about getting punched in the face.
4/5/10 2:12 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sak never got the tap on Royler.

Mir wasnt able to tap Wes frckin Sims.

Hughes couldnt tape Royce.

BJ had Uno's back multiple times in their rematch, no tap resulted.

Matt Serra managed to tap only Kelly Dulanty in his UFC career.

4/5/10 2:27 PM
The Rom

i thought GSP was a black belt in karate who just learned wrestling and is picking up the rest of MMA as he goes along. I'm not surprised he favors control over subs. Dominant LnP over trying to break something sounds like a wrestler. i would figure him to be a good striker with endurance, and ground control.
4/5/10 2:30 PM
EnlightenedOne

GSP is a great wrestler and a great sub grappler, but anyone who trains will easily spot his weak BJJ game.
4/5/10 2:45 PM
Jetster
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

has anyone ever thought this might be another critical point in GSP's fight career, there were obvious holes in his game even though he dominated, he himself seemed very dissapointed.

looking back at all this a few weeks after..this might just make GSP go to the next level in his career...there was a few threads about if GSP had reached his peak a few weeks ago and maybe this will catapult him to the next learning curve...isn't that scary to think.
4/5/10 3:02 PM
biggator
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Xspur - I'm still getting a kick out of the fact that GSP just completely dominated another title contender and most of the post fight talk is critiquing his game. I wonder if so many people would be so critical about those sub attempts if George hadn't been so critical of them himself in the first place.
yes they would and did.
there were at least three or four threads about why he didnt finish hardy, up before we saw the video of him asking questions. People asked what he was doing wrong and why they didnt work and they were answered. That is why many of us come to the UG to learn and improve technique.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.