UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Daughter Interest in Law School...?

4/4/10 5:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sux@bjj
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my daughter has expressed interest in law. specifically criminal prosecution for the state.

knowing nothing about the field...i'm wondering what i can offer as advice such as college major, which law school to select (if it matters), etc.

any advice will be helpful i'm sure.
4/4/10 8:48 PM
KenTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/04/10 8:50 PM
 How old is your daughter? (Not being creepy, it is a relevant question)

If your daughter is in high school or younger, just have her take some intro law classes at undergrad, if the school she goes to has them, so she can get somewhat of a feel for what law school is like. (this still won't give her a full idea, law school is really different from undergrad) If she is already in undergrad then whatever degree she is going for is fine. There really isn't a best choice since the law permeates every industry.

Some choices that may help a little more than others, philosophy (for the logic basis), economics (everything can be broken down into economics), communication (for writing and public speaking).

Here is a link that may be of help. It is the ABA Preparing for Law School page. http://www.abanet.org/legaled/prelaw/prep.html

Another resource to use would be one or some of the vast amount of books dedicated to the law school experience like Planet Law School II.

As far as the school goes, she will have to take the LSAT and the score she gets and her GPA as it is defined by the LSAC (Law School Admissions Council) will pretty much dictate which schools she can get into. (Alot of pre-law school info here) http://www.lsac.org/

The US News Rankings are the industry standard for ranking law schools. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools

There is alot of debate on whether the school one goes to matters much or not. One side says it is pretty much everything, but this is more for people who want to make top dollar coming out of school. The other side says that how you perform is more important than where you perform. These are usually people from the lower tier schools. I say it's somewhere in the middle. School name may get you in, but performance will dictate your success after that.

Just a final note, the industry has been hit pretty hard and alot of people coming out of school are having a very difficult time finding work. This shouldn't discourage her if her passion truly lies with the law, but it is something to think about, especially since law school can cost anywhere from $100K to $150K plus undergrad. -ken

4/5/10 10:22 AM
seg
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've found the two most important skills for being a lawyer are the ability to clearly and concisely lay out arguments in written and oral form.  I wish I had taken more speech and English writing classes in high school and undergrad.

It's a shitty business though.  Although if she works for the DA that won't be as bad as private practice.
4/5/10 2:02 PM
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DONT
4/5/10 2:29 PM
Cookie Monster
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

goku -  DONT

THIS!

and push med school
4/5/10 2:42 PM
goku

oh and if she does want to become a lawyer what classes she takes at undergrad is pretty much irrelevant other than taking classes that will raise her gpa
4/5/10 3:02 PM
Fake Pie
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

goku -  oh and if she does want to become a lawyer what classes she takes at undergrad is pretty much irrelevant other than taking classes that will raise her gpa

Troof. It is a trade off. If you are dead certain you will go to law school, take an easy major and get a 4.0. For some idiotic reason, law schools treat a 4.0 in poli-sci as better than a 3.5 in electrical engineering.

On the other hand, I would highly recommend getting an undergrad in something employable in case it doesn't work out or you bomb the LSAT.
4/5/10 10:41 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Start the LSAT preparation ASAP.
4/6/10 10:48 AM
sux@bjj
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow...good information. thank you.

i will share the info with her.
4/6/10 3:43 PM
seg
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fake Pie - 
goku -  oh and if she does want to become a lawyer what classes she takes at undergrad is pretty much irrelevant other than taking classes that will raise her gpa

Troof. It is a trade off. If you are dead certain you will go to law school, take an easy major and get a 4.0. For some idiotic reason, law schools treat a 4.0 in poli-sci as better than a 3.5 in electrical engineering.

On the other hand, I would highly recommend getting an undergrad in something employable in case it doesn't work out or you bomb the LSAT.
This is good advice.  Engineering or other science related undergrads are just as good as anything for a law degree.  Plus, if law doesn't turn out, she is still employable.  If she sticks with law she can go into patent law which is where the good money is.

4/6/10 4:00 PM
Xtina

Cookie Monster - 
goku -  DONT

THIS!

and push med school

though you might want her to check the situation out first before setting off on that course.  several of my practicing doctor and med student friends are not too thrilled with the way things are going in the medical field right now.
4/6/10 4:33 PM
goku

basicaly what we are trying to say is that she should become a garbage collector
4/6/10 4:36 PM
goku

seg - 
Fake Pie - 

This is good advice.  Engineering or other science related undergrads are just as good as anything for a law degree.  Plus, if law doesn't turn out, she is still employable.  If she sticks with law she can go into patent law which is where the good money is.

yeah.if i had a kid, regardless of what he or she wanted to be i would tell him or her to go into math, science or engineering...from there, you can pretty much go into any field including law, medicine or finance

5/5/10 3:32 PM
PrettyBoy
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

goku -  DONT

THIS+1
5/5/10 7:24 PM
goku

scheduled my first vacation day off in almost 2.5 years..guess what? NO VACATION FOR ME...instead, get to spend the weekend drafting a registration stateemnt..and not only is it Mother's day on sunday...but its my son's 2nd birthday...

its G-R-E-A-T being an attorney.,.
5/6/10 7:04 AM
greco yeoman

419 - Start the LSAT preparation ASAP.

THIS.

I remember hearing about kids taking 3 or 4 MONTHS off from work to study full-time for the LSAT. Most of them scored in the 170s and had their pick of T-14 schools. Makes a huge difference.
5/6/10 1:54 PM
Fake Pie
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

greco yeoman - 
419 - Start the LSAT preparation ASAP.

THIS.

I remember hearing about kids taking 3 or 4 MONTHS off from work to study full-time for the LSAT. Most of them scored in the 170s and had their pick of T-14 schools. Makes a huge difference.

That's a bit much. There are only so many materials to study. If you want to invest that much in it, take a prep course. Otherwise I can't see what more than a few hours a night with practice tests is going to get you.
5/6/10 2:18 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What kind of prep did you do, Fake Pie?
5/6/10 3:40 PM
Subadie

T-14 ? Why pick 14 ?

is this some standard way of ranking the best schools or have you randomly chosen 14 schools. Is #14 really much better than #15. Poor 15. What is 15 anyway ?
5/7/10 9:02 AM
Fake Pie

419 - What kind of prep did you do, Fake Pie?

I am kind of a lazy fucker plus I took the LSAT on a lark not thinking I would actually go. At most, I thought I would stay in Tallahassee and go to FSU (where I went to undergrad). I did better than expected and started getting fee waivers for applications and that is when I considered going elsewhere.

But I got a prep book and a shit load of prior actual LSATs to study off of Amazon and did that for like a week leading up to the exam. I did much better on the actual than on the preps.

I would recommend studying for more than a week, I just don't think you need to quit your day job. You can easily do it after work/school each day. It is the same thing over and over, you just need to do it over and over so you get better.
5/7/10 9:04 AM
Fake Pie

Subadie - T-14 ? Why pick 14 ?

is this some standard way of ranking the best schools or have you randomly chosen 14 schools. Is #14 really much better than #15. Poor 15. What is 15 anyway ?

LOL, it is just the way it is. The top 14 are considered "national" schools where you can get a job anywhere in the country if you have a degree from any one of the T14. #15 is usually UT but I don't know who it is this year. A great school but not considered national, though clearly tops in its region.

On the other hand, a lot of people think T14 is BS.

I am biased as I went to #14.
5/10/10 5:39 AM
halcyonday
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would not go so far to say that T14 is national. I would say that top 10%/law review types can go anywhere they want. As for medians, however, they struggle to place outside of the school's immediate region. For example, Northwestern graduates place well in Chicago, but its graduates do not fare as well vis-a-vis UCLA or USC when it comes to California. A Michigan graduate is going to have a tough finding a job in Houston.

UCLA and Texas are tied for 15. In terms of academic reputation of the faculty, both schools have surpassed some of the T14s. However, I think two things hold them back for breaking into the T14. One is institutional. I do not see U.S. News kicking a school out of the T14. If anything, it will create T15. The other is student GPA/LSAT. Because both are public institutions, they are required to admit a certain percent of in-state students. It is these students that normally drag down the incoming GPA/LSAT.

5/10/10 9:31 AM

Why is it an ethical issue when a student exaggerates on a resume, but standard procedure when a school does the exact same thing in a brochure?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.