UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Silly Misogynist, MMA is for Chicks

4/6/10 4:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
2JupitersTooMany
1783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was asked to write an article for a new website, www.prettytoughfighter.com, and here it is.  If you find it in your heart, give them a click to give them some support.  It looks like it'll be a great resource for women's MMA.

LINK

Silly Misogynist, MMA is for Chicks

Written by Nathan Johnson

Excerpt:

. . . I was a man standing shirtless in a gi that I wasn’t comfortable in yet. To me, a gi still felt like an oversized, white smoking jacket. So, basically, I would have felt like Hugh Heffner wheeling up in his evening wear to some disgusted young girl at the grotto. And that’s the problematic reality for this male fan of women’s MMA: all on those tenuous mental acrobatics wouldn’t have occurred at all if Kaitlin was a Kevin."
4/6/10 4:24 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know, MOFO. I was responding for your silent cry for help.
4/6/10 4:41 PM
2JupitersTooMany

Attn: Hojak
4/6/10 4:45 PM
LordSeano
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Realise this is completely against the grain on this board, but why in every other sport are we allowed to admit that womens version of whatever sport is a really, really crap version of the professional men's version.

Of the few women's MMA matches I've seen that seems to be the case in MMA as well.

And yes you get some women that can beat other amateur men but that also happens in every other sport (to a degree) but they would still; get whupped by blokes if they did compete at the highest level.

Flame away
4/6/10 4:45 PM
StevetheWeasel
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/06/10 4:49 PM
Good post.

Great idea for a website. Although, I sort of wish it weren't necessary for female competitors to have a specialized site.

The inclusion of female competition is one of the things I really appreciate about Strikeforce. Hopefully more promotions start getting wise to it.
4/6/10 4:47 PM
2JupitersTooMany

I've really enjoyed watching female MMA. If your experience is that it's garbage, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't follow women's basketball. I just happen to like women's MMA because I think it's just as entertaining at the highest level as the average male MMA fight.
4/6/10 4:50 PM
2JupitersTooMany

Also, the nice thing about female MMA is that it isn't some disjointed event that you have to go out of your way to watch independently of male events, like golf or hockey or basketball. Orgs like Strikeforce are just slipping it into the show, so it allows you to appreciate it as just another part of the larger sport of MMA.
4/6/10 4:54 PM
BKViper
443 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StevetheWeasel - 
The inclusion of female competition is one of the things I really appreciate about Strikeforce. Hopefully more promotions start getting wise to it.
Agreed.  As long as it's a good fight, I enjoy watching.  I don't care what gender the fighters are, only if the fight itself is exciting.

4/6/10 5:14 PM
Kirik
1678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, President
 ttt
4/6/10 5:29 PM
Dominicf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/06/10 5:30 PM
I agree that their presence adds to the colour and interest of the sport. Their fights are usually exciting, which is all that matters to me.

I don’t watch MMA for pure, crisp, technical skill. If I wanted that I’d watch basketball or soccer. I don’t watch MMA for sheer athleticism. If I wanted that I’d watch gymnastics or track.

My love of MMA is grounded in the chaos, bravery and desperation of the contest.
4/6/10 5:58 PM
2JupitersTooMany

TTT
4/6/10 6:02 PM
BlueFlamer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany - Attn: Hojak

Haha. VTFU.
4/6/10 6:08 PM
MountainMedic
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i just like good fights w/alot of akill & alot of heart. seen some pretty sloppy slap fests in between bouts of running and looking at the clock in plenty of mens fights.

if the ladies have time to train and fight when they are done folding the laundry i see no problem with it.

i keed, i keed-MM
4/6/10 6:10 PM
Sarah Kaufman
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dominicf - I agree that their presence adds to the colour and interest of the sport. Their fights are usually exciting, which is all that matters to me.

I don’t watch MMA for pure, crisp, technical skill. If I wanted that I’d watch basketball or soccer. I don’t watch MMA for sheer athleticism. If I wanted that I’d watch gymnastics or track.

My love of MMA is grounded in the chaos, bravery and desperation of the contest.

I totally understand (from a fan's perspective) the fun and excitement of watching a fast paced semi-technical slugfest: fighters are taking damage and getting KO'd or submitted. What I don't understand (from a semi-educated fan/ fighter's perspective) is the inability to appreciate a technically dominant performance.

In what other sport would mediocrity actually make for entertainment? That is what I find interesting about the sport of MMA...and I have to say that I'm sometimes guilty of wanting to watch those exciting (yet not necessarily extremely technical) fights. 

I know I kind of went on a tangent...but I thought the article was a great read!

4/7/10 2:45 AM
estanmilko
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have enjoyed the womens mma that i've seen (particularly lately in Strikeforce) and I haven't felt that their skill level was lacking in any way.
4/7/10 2:45 AM
Dominicf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/07/10 2:51 AM
Sarah Kaufman -
Dominicf - I agree that their presence adds to the colour and interest of the sport. Their fights are usually exciting, which is all that matters to me.

I totally understand (from a fan's perspective) the fun and excitement of watching a fast paced semi-technical slugfest: fighters are taking damage and getting KO'd or submitted. What I don't understand (from a semi-educated fan/ fighter's perspective) is the inability to appreciate a technically dominant performance.

In what other sport would mediocrity actually make for entertainment? That is what I find interesting about the sport of MMA...and I have to say that I'm sometimes guilty of wanting to watch those exciting (yet not necessarily extremely technical) fights.

Hey Sarah. Using your recent fight as an example, I respected your performance against Hashi but yes, I admit, I wanted to see you go for the kill because that would have seemed more exciting to me.

Fighters evolve and so do fans. The excitement is what drew me in but hopefully I’ll come to appreciate the finer aspects. Such as (in your case with Hashi ) sticking to a good game plan. :-)

I look forward to seeing you fight again soon.
4/7/10 3:15 AM
LordSeano
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

new blood mma - 
LordSeano - Realise this is completely against the grain on this board, but why in every other sport are we allowed to admit that womens version of whatever sport is a really, really crap version of the professional men's version.

Of the few women's MMA matches I've seen that seems to be the case in MMA as well.

And yes you get some women that can beat other amateur men but that also happens in every other sport (to a degree) but they would still; get whupped by blokes if they did compete at the highest level.

so what

women are weaker than men, just like lightweights are weaker than heavyweights

most lightweight fighters would get destroyed by an average heavyweight

doesn't mean it's not fun to watch competitive fights when you pair them up by gender and weight

I think a lot of hatred of female MMA is straight up bigotry. Your average drunk UFC fan watches 'ultimate fighting' because it makes them 'feel like a man' (even though grappling portion looks like gay sex ironically enough) Even if women were just as good and put up exciting fights they would still not be happy because it would not fit into their little fight club movie fantasy where only men fight and women are just sex toys

Personally I am not really interested in women's mma in the same way I am not interested in watching local mma shows, sunday league football, women's boxing, amateur rugby etc etc

I want to watch high level competition in any sport i.e a-class lightweights over local show heavyweights any day of the week.

And yes I am sure every women's mma fighter could handle me comfortably....but Arsenal Ladies would also run rings around me in a game of footy but you couldn't pay me to watch them.

It just interests me that we readily accept women's sport is a shite version of the male version in every other sport but its almost not allowed to be discussed on the UG.
4/7/10 3:25 AM
Chagrin
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love women's MMA. They've put on some very good fights. That's all I really care about.

4/7/10 3:28 AM
Dominicf

LordSeano - I am not really interested in women's mma in the same way I am not interested in watching local mma shows, sunday league football, women's boxing, amateur rugby etc etc

I want to watch high level competition in any sport i.e a-class lightweights over local show heavyweights any day of the week.

Whenever I hear this argument it smacks of elitism. Really quite snobbish. But I suppose you are a 'lord' so it's to be expected from you?

Or maybe you're an Arsenal fan and in a bad mood at the moment? ;-)
4/7/10 3:34 AM
Chagrin
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every time Arsenal and Barcelona play one another I spend the entire match getting distracted by pondering which portmanteau sounds better in the case of a theoretical merge between them: "Barsenal" or "Arselona"?
4/7/10 3:46 AM
ya
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Follow your nose, it always knows the flavor of death where ever it goes,
Terror in the supermarket, shoppers are in horror,
Shredded boxes in the aisles, corpses on the floor,
Those who ran, this joy is mine, now they're going to pay,
Super gory slaughter now the order of the day!
Toucan Son of Sam!!
Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids.
Follow your nose, it always knows the flavor of death where ever it goes,
Orphaned at the age of five, parental guidance missed,
Rice Crispies wouldn't talk to him and he got really pissed,
The remittal chemicals have driven him insane,
Now we know the calling like it's ringing 'round his brain,
Toucan Son of Sam!
Snap! Crackle! Pop!
Toucan Son of Sam!
Part of your nutritious breakfast!"
-----------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_fzBcvg-Ps
4/7/10 3:50 AM
Dominicf

Chagrin - Every time Arsenal and Barcelona play one another I spend the entire match getting distracted by pondering which portmanteau sounds better in the case of a theoretical merge between them: "Barsenal" or "Arselona"?

Stop trying to messi up their names. Just watch the game and concentrate.
4/7/10 7:10 AM
LordSeano

Dominicf - 
LordSeano - I am not really interested in women's mma in the same way I am not interested in watching local mma shows, sunday league football, women's boxing, amateur rugby etc etc

Whenever I hear this argument it smacks of elitism. Really quite snobbish. But I suppose you are a 'lord' so it's to be expected from you?

Or maybe you're an Arsenal fan and in a bad mood at the moment? ;-)

The lord reference goes back to the Brawl in the Hall when Kirik told us all on the Europe forum to calm it down prior to the UFC and be more civilised. It just stuck after that.

It really isn't elitism and I dont really think its elitist to want to watch high level sport.

Its why the Nou camp sells out every week and my local pub team gets 15 people on the sidelines on a sunday.

Its like saying toughman should be considered on a par with Pacman-Mayweather just because the two guys are really going for it.

There is a reason why the elite level male divisions in every professional sport generate much more money than the lower level divisions and the female divisions, because want to see the best.

It doesn't mean that there is a demand but everyone acknowledges that womens' sport is generally terrible to watch in every other sport - including boxing. All power to them I just personally dont find it as interesting a spectacle as watching the UFC say. I just dont see why everyone pussyfoots around it.
4/7/10 9:54 AM
2JupitersTooMany

Sarah Kaufman - 

Thanks for the read
4/7/10 11:21 AM
notsobigmike
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to laugh when people won't watch women's MMA because it isn't the "highest caliber" compared to the men's, then turn around and show new fans Frye-Takayama or Griffin-Bonnar as way to introduce them to the sport.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.