UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Attention Alpo or other BBQ people

4/7/10 1:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
chadk
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Going to do a brisket in my BGE this weekend. Maybe a 6lb'er. Any advice or suggestions for me? I have a smoker/diffuser plate, water pan, etc... anything you've found that helps? Any and all suggestions welcomed.
4/7/10 3:13 PM
Handsomejaws
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This your first brisket? Have you found a rub and a wood you'll be smoking with yet, I like pecan, just a few decent sized chunks is what I use. You have a way to keep an eye on the eternal meat temp right? I bring mine up to 185-190. I trim a good portion of the fat cap around the edges off, it doesn't melt very well.

The mistake I made with my first brisket was not letting the meat rest long enough, give it a solid 30 mins or it will dry out.
4/7/10 3:53 PM
chadk
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've done one before. Wasn't bad but wasn't great. I've got work buddies coming over and this is what they wanted, so I'd like it to come out better than ok lol.

I have hickory wood chunks and of course my hardwood lump with my BGE. Figure I'll cook it around 250 degrees, maybe 225.

Figured I make my own rub. Chili powder, salt, paprika, garlic powder, brown sugar, maybe a little cayenne. A Texan I work with says his uncle used to brush his with mustard then added seasoning. Anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks for the feedback Handsomejaws. Anyone else?
4/7/10 11:31 PM
onefromnone
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to put all types of spices and slathers (mustard, Worcestershire etc) on brisket, when I started barbecuing. Now I use what a lot of the Texas pit masters use, salt and pepper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfoNV1acCz0

Brisket is the trickiest cut of meat for barbecue. It can take anywhere from 1 to 2 hours/lb. There are differences between every brisket; some can cook faster than others just because of their shape. Cooking a select or choice cut can also effect not only the time of cooking, but even the final temperature for doneness… as low as 180 to as high as 200.

You sure you guests don’t want pulled pork instead? Lol Good luck
4/8/10 12:50 PM
Pito Chueco
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont have a BGE, but have cooked a ton of briskets on my smoker. Maybe you can translate some of this to the BGE. I would go bigger than 6lber though.

Like handsome said, pecan is the best. Oak is good, Hickory, then mesquite in that order IMO.

I use a marinate (stubbs) over night, then take it out and do a dry rub a few hrs before putting it on.

I usually cook mine for 8 hrs total, and try to keep the temp at 200-225. I usually smoke for 4 hours uncovered, then wrap with foil the last 4 hours. This helps keep the meat from drying out.

As mentioned, let it rest for a while before slicing. Since i do the last part wrapped in foil, i keep it wrapped for at least an hour before slicing. Gives it time for the juices to re-absorb.

Hope this helps
4/8/10 12:51 PM
Pito Chueco
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, and mustard is not a bad marinate, but not the best. Used it before on brisket, chickens etc.
4/11/10 9:53 PM
chadk

I got a 6lb brisket. It was a little leaner than I wanted but I didn't buy it so, had to work with what I got. Rubbed it down really well, wrapped it up and set it in the fridge overnight.

Got up early, pulled it out to come to room temperature and got my BGE going. Put it in bare for about 4 hours with a steady stream of hickory chunks the whole time. Figured I'd get some smoke into it first. Then I wrapped it up in 3 layers of foil and put it back in for a few more hours (about 250 degrees).

This seemed to speed up the cooking procees quite a bit. Maybe not so traditional but my work buddies were tearing that shit up, so I guess it tasted good. Three of us eating, and no brisket left. That's a good endorsement imo. Thanks for the input everyone.
4/14/10 12:47 AM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO, the mustard doesn't add flavor. It just provides a goopy surface that you can stick more rub to. At least, I can't taste it.
4/14/10 11:30 AM
chadk

I ended up not using mustard. Just a lot of dry rub.
4/15/10 3:13 PM
Handsomejaws
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with that Mullet,some say it helps form the bark also. Not real sure...

Sounds like it was a success! I've been doing the same with my pork shoulders, I'll smoke them for 6 hours or so then wrap in foil and bring then to temp in the oven. Save's me a ton of time and tastes the same. The only real difference is the bark isn't as crisp.
5/10/10 12:52 PM
reelfoot
465 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

# 1 you have BGE so you cannot fail.
# 2 next time buy a packer
# 3 do not use foil or water.
# 4 cook at 200
# 5 no sugar. save that for your bbq sauce.
# 6 you have BGE so you cannot fail.
5/10/10 12:55 PM
reelfoot
465 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

couldn't find a brisket pic.  
5/10/10 9:52 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks great!
5/10/10 10:04 PM
jaydub
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/10/10 10:10 PM
<blockquote>reelfoot - # 1 you have BGE so you cannot fail.<br />
# 2 next time buy a packer <br />
# 3 do not use foil or water.<br />
# 4 cook at 200<br />
# 5 no sugar. save that for your bbq sauce.<br />
# 6 you have BGE so you cannot fail.</blockquote><br /><br /><br />

Meh.. <br /><br /><br />

#1 could fail large if he doesnt monitor the temp<br />
#2 packer?<br />
#3 why? Water isn't used to 'keep it moist' it's used to create steam and add flavor into the meat.

I like to add beer or wine onions etc to my water pan.<br /><br /><br />
3b no Foil..? ?<br />it insulates the cut of meat so it doesn't dry out. Your choice of meat doesnt need constant smoke. You are plenty good after an hour of smoke. Too much you you're eating a hickory tree...but of course it's all up to each's likes. <br /> <br />

4# if you want to dry it out imo. I've been smoking meats for well over 7-8 years and what I've figured out is (for me) anything below 200 you're just making beef jerky.<br /><br />

Low and slow is obv the key but too low just doesn't break down the fats/ muscles/protein in the right way imo.<br /><br />

5#sugar is fine and so is any other spice you like. Purist tend to be fanatical for the wrong reasons.

<br /><br />disclaimer...do what works for you and don't let anyone try to intimidate you. That's the great thing about BBQ you can do what you want to do and what you like....<br />
5/10/10 10:14 PM
jaydub

Here's what I do. Sometimes I will make a mopping sauce sometimes I dont...all what I'm in the mood for.

Dry rub
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Cumin
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cayenne
mustard

Wine sauce/ mopping sauce

2 Cups red wine
2/3 Cup water
8 tbl ketchup
2 tbl red wine vinegar
2 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp salt
1tsp pepper
Fat rendering

- Let Brisket come to room temperature and season with dry rub
- Place in smoker fat side up
- Smoke for 4 hours at 225 and remove and place in tinfoil
- Smoke for another 4 hours
- Remove from tinfoil and put add juices to wine sauce mixture
- Bring all components from wine sauce together and simmer for 20 minutes adjusting to taste
- Put back in tinfoil with ½ cup of wine sauce and smoke for another hour or so or until internal temp is 185-190 degrees
5/10/10 10:14 PM
jaydub

I like using a 50/50 of hickory/mesquite and some cherry if i have any.
5/12/10 4:24 PM
reelfoot

1 could fail large if he doesnt monitor the temp

#2 packer?

#3 why? Water isn't used to 'keep it moist' it's used to create steam and add flavor into the meat.

the egg monitors the heat

Packer is is a whole brisket.

water does not keep it moist unless it's sitting in it.

never heard if steaming anything in a wood smoker. You must be up north.
5/12/10 10:20 PM
jaydub

reelfoot - 1 could fail large if he doesnt monitor the temp

#2 packer?

:) Never heard of brisket being a packer..

Yes, unreal what an open flame does to water in a water pan...lol

I'm surprised this is something you're befuddled with.

I'm smoking one Friday...cant wait!
5/12/10 10:20 PM
jaydub

reelfoot - 1 could fail large if he doesnt monitor the temp

#2 packer?

:) Never heard of brisket being a packer..

Yes, unreal what an open flame does to water in a water pan...lol

I'm surprised this is something you're befuddled with.

I'm smoking one Friday...cant wait!
5/12/10 10:22 PM
jaydub

And Tin foil is used to keep it moist...:) water is used for flavor....!
5/16/10 11:13 AM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard (and it seems to work) that the water helps to keep the temp in the 212 degree range.
5/16/10 5:10 PM
jaydub

Water does help keep the temp down...if you dont want to use water(not sure why) you can use sand in your water pan and it will have the same effect.
5/17/10 1:24 PM
reelfoot

there is no water pan in any smoker i have seen. do you mean that you put a bowl of water in the smoker?
5/17/10 1:29 PM
reelfoot

consistent heat is the key to retaining juice over many hours of smoking.  fluctuation of heat can cause your meat to dry out.
5/17/10 1:32 PM
reelfoot

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.