UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Attention Alpo or other BBQ people

5/17/10 1:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
chadk
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Temperature control isn't an issue with the egg. I was under the impression that the water pan was intended to prevent the meat drying out. Maybe I'll try it without the pan next time.
5/17/10 8:54 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reelfoot - there is no water pan in any smoker i have seen. do you mean that you put a bowl of water in the smoker?

Google "water smoker"

I buy throwaway foil pans to use... my smoker came with a water pan, but I gave up early on cleaning that thing.

In addition to regulating the temp and adding moisture... it catches any drippings. Heard of people also using beer, pop, etc.
5/18/10 3:06 PM
reelfoot
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this abomination electric too.
5/18/10 9:07 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.barbecuen.com/water.htm

Unlike the Wood Smoker, the Water Smoker is either electric or charcoal 'fired'. There is not the fire box located at one end of the smoker. Generally, the fire (for the sake of ease, we will include electric in the term 'fire') is located either directly beneath the meat, or adjacent to and just below the meat.

The second component to the Water Smoker is the water used to create steam. The water which is situated either directly above or adjacent to the fire after a short while will begin to boil. As the steam rises, it combines with the smoke particles to become an 'automatic' basting material.
5/19/10 2:03 AM
jaydub
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kevin Curtis - http://www.barbecuen.com/water.htm

Unlike the Wood Smoker, the Water Smoker is either electric or charcoal 'fired'. There is not the fire box located at one end of the smoker. Generally, the fire (for the sake of ease, we will include electric in the term 'fire') is located either directly beneath the meat, or adjacent to and just below the meat.

The second component to the Water Smoker is the water used to create steam. The water which is situated either directly above or adjacent to the fire after a short while will begin to boil. As the steam rises, it combines with the smoke particles to become an 'automatic' basting material.

And there you have it....I use propane and I have a water pan....
5/27/10 10:28 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Theoretically, water pans in bullet smokers (or BGE) are more for preventing the drippings from burning (fat smoke imparts bitterness), to increase the thermal inertia under the meat to distribute the heat more evenly and to provide a vehicle for the smoke particles to adhere to the meat. 

I've tried it both ways and I'm honestly not really sure if it makes any difference at all, taste or moisture wise.  I usually use a water pan in my BGE, just because of the theory.  It definitely doesn't do any harm and it does make cleanup easier since you can just rinse off the drip pan.  Assuming you have the plate setter accessory, a 16" deep dish pizza pan fits perfectly inside it. 
5/28/10 1:31 PM
reelfoot
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there is or never will be a water pan in my BGE. i have tons of fat smoke off chicken and never imparts of bitterness. bitterness is usually a result of to much wood smoke.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.