UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hughes: 'Strength will overcome technique'

4/7/10 6:42 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

“I like the fact that he’s a little older than me,” the 36-year-old Hughes said of his 43-year-old opponent. “I’m feeling my age and I’m sure hoping he’s feeling his age. I like that.”

“I’ve had a lot of changes in my life the last five years. “I became a Christian. I got married five years ago. Three-and-a-half years ago, I watched my daughter be born. Three months ago, I watched another daughter be born. When you see that in real life, and you’re around kids all day – I’m around my kids, because I love my kids and I love nothing more than being around them – I’m not the same fighter. I can’t possibly be."

“It used to be, when I walked into the ring, that person across the ring was lucky I didn’t rip his arm off and start beating him with it. That’s the way I felt. I’m just not that aggressive any more where I want to tear somebody’s head off. I’m 36 years old now. I would say I’ve turned into a more technical fighter than a nasty fighter.”

“There’s a lot less pressure when you go to someone else’s home town and everyone is expecting him to win and I’m just the opponent walking in. “I am really looking forward to being kind of the underdog in the environment of the fight.”

“In a way, I expect I might be a better fighter because I’m relaxed and I’m happy with my life and where I am and there’s not a lot that’s worrying me.”

Read entire article...

4/7/10 8:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bemsqua
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see Renzo win, but I think Hughes wins pretty easily. His standup is better and I just don't see Renzo submitting him.
4/7/10 8:46 PM
EVILYOSHIDA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

american POWER. respect it
4/7/10 8:50 PM
verindersandhu

MMARanked.com
 Should be a good fight.

I hope Renzo can pull it off :)
4/7/10 8:54 PM
flyingtoehold
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

C'mon REEEENZO sub this guy!!!!!!!!!
4/7/10 9:00 PM
Canooke
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like both guys but I'm rooting for Hughes and I also think he'll win.
4/7/10 9:38 PM
SudburyBJJ

Matt Hughes is a simpleton. Renzo will be the hammer...Hughes will be the anvil.

No secret, I`m pulling for Renzo to win this fight. WAR RENZO!!
4/7/10 9:42 PM
TheRealMKL
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RENZO TTT!!!!
4/7/10 9:44 PM
Lite
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"If I didn't think I was going to win, I wouldn't take the fight."

Exactly. Hughes isn't going to challenge himself with somebody who has a chance against him. This is a ridiculous fight.
4/7/10 9:49 PM

Edited: 04/07/10 9:50 PM
datdude - Hughes should be eshamed of his self,he should not be considered a top 10 r 20 welterweight no more,I mean I respect renzo but dude hasn't fought in 2yrs his 43 & hughes is gonna crush his,this is a handpicked opponent, hughes doesn't want to lose no more like he did against alves, he doesn't want to face young welterweights so they bring in gracie,its hard for me to take this fight serious but hope renzo kicks his ass...

This exemplifies the beauty and freedom of the internet. All opinions are heard equally...
4/7/10 9:53 PM
puddlesmith
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still a Hughes fan, he's a great fighter and that's all that should matter. Should be an easy fight for him.
4/7/10 10:00 PM
JiuJitsuLifeMH

Hughes is such a sandbagger. Always has been.

At least now we know (in his own words) why he won't take fights with ATT guys.

I hope Renzo gets him in backmount and pounds him out till the ref stops it.
4/7/10 10:02 PM
KenFlo Choked on Sushi

So what he's saying is that if he wins, it'll be by brutally boring wrestling via decision
4/7/10 10:08 PM

KenFlo Choked on Sushi -  So what he's saying is that if he wins, it'll be by brutally boring wrestling via decision

Yes

When he fought Alves, his gameplan was, literally, to hold Alves down and just hold him there...No damage inflicted, just takedown and survive.

Dude doesn't try to finish fight anymore. Last finish was 2006 FFS.
4/7/10 10:10 PM
StretchPlum

UFC is getting smart in keeping legends around that can draw by booking decisions.
4/7/10 11:29 PM
gothhead

Oh yeah! he's such a lay and prayer!!!!
4/7/10 11:31 PM
valetudolife

Edited: 04/07/10 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IocCC1-jeTY
4/7/10 11:32 PM
gothhead

Thats why the guy has a 80% finish rate with his fight not going to the judges! He fought Alves on short notice, he also fought him when he didnt even make weight! Hughes aways steps up for MMA so some of you little keyboard warriors need to learn what your talking about and show some respect!!!
4/7/10 11:32 PM
gothhead

Thats why the guy has a 80% finish rate with his fight not going to the judges! He fought Alves on short notice, he also fought him when he didnt even make weight! Hughes aways steps up for MMA so some of you little keyboard warriors need to learn what your talking about and show some respect!!!
4/7/10 11:44 PM
shootfightermike
843 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

flyingtoehold - C'mon REEEENZO sub this guy!!!!!!!!!

4/7/10 11:54 PM
ANDROBJJ

Hughes was strong when mma was early and here is why -martial arts was a hoby back 10-15 years ago wrestling is a life just like football and baseball since you were 4 years old but now everyone knows you have to hit the weights and have some kind of strength. Hughes was strong at 170 back in the day just like jiu-jitsu caught people by suprise. I said from day one his strength was early in the game but his strength is not super strong just early to the game. Muscles move your body and technique is applied by muscle-Jiu-jitsu guys kind of lacked the physical part of it back in the day- go Renzo

peace
rick
4/7/10 11:54 PM
ANDROBJJ

Hughes was strong when mma was early and here is why -martial arts was a hoby back 10-15 years ago wrestling is a life just like football and baseball since you were 4 years old but now everyone knows you have to hit the weights and have some kind of strength. Hughes was strong at 170 back in the day just like jiu-jitsu caught people by suprise. I said from day one his strength was early in the game but his strength is not super strong just early to the game. Muscles move your body and technique is applied by muscle-Jiu-jitsu guys kind of lacked the physical part of it back in the day- go Renzo

peace
rick
4/8/10 10:41 AM
thefightingsheep
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ Hughes. He wrote the book on being a meathead heel.
4/8/10 10:43 AM
disbeliever
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for being eshamed
4/8/10 10:46 AM
The Sultan
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/08/10 10:46 AM
 statement makes no sense since both wrestling and jiu-jitsu require skill.

If he were to win, he wouldn't purely be using strength.  He would be using his years of wrestling and BJJ practice in addition to strength.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.