UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> PC shutting down randomly

4/9/10 6:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ferox13
724 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok my GF has a PC running XP with a 2.66 cpu and 2 gig ram..

The last few days the CPU fan has been pretty noisy and yesterday the PC just started to shut down without warning.

My first quess was it was over heating and the cpu fan wasn't doing its job.

So i took out the CPU fan/heat sink and cleaned a shit load of dust out of it. I reseated it and started it up. The fan is still kinda noisy (the bearings are going?) but its spinning fine etc..I did notice there was little or no thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu.

Now it was starting up ok for a while and then when I was using it , it just shut down. Down it shuts down after reboot..

Any ideas?

Thanks....

*Also on OG*
4/9/10 11:31 AM
white belt
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Ferox, (disclaimer I do computer stuff as a hobby, not a pro like a lot of guys on here). You did clean off and replace the thermal paste when you unseated the processor? You can usually see the temperatures in the bios to see if you are idling high. I had the same random restarts on an old system like that too, ended up being the power supply. When I ran a voltage monitoring program it was all over the place. Have a look at the Dell Ireland site, home and business sections and see how cheap a new tower is. That being said the Ireland site pricing is shitty compared to the Dell.ca site if you $ is still twice as much as ours.
4/9/10 3:29 PM
ferox13
724 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anarkis2 - CPUs don't get noisy... Hard drives and CPU fans do...

Yeah i said the CPU fan was getting noisy..
The machine is a it over 3 years old and out of warranty.

Thanks - i'll try a monitor. I installed Core temp but it wasn't compatable with the CPU..I might try SpeedFan nest..

Hey white belt - no I didn't unseat the cpu just the fan heatsink...I didn't clean off or put new paste on as i had none..

Do u need to buy that special cleaner to get rid of the compound?

Can u recomend a voltage monitoring program?

white belt - That being said the Ireland site pricing is shitty compared to the Dell.ca site if you $ is still twice as much as ours.

Welcome to my world..its fucking crazy isn't it...

and thanks for the help guys..
4/10/10 10:09 AM
hunting
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Ferox,

Have you also checked the power supply?

Also, make sure all cards(PCI,AGP,Etc) are firmly in place.

You may also want to try a test on the HD. If you do not hear any clicking from the HD then at least the spindle is not broken :)

However, we had a batch of about 100-150 drives that were installed in leased PC's that all did the same thing. Replaced all the HD's and the PC's were fine(Bizarre but it does happen)

Just suggesting that it *could* not just be a heat issue from the CPU fan. But do make sure it is secured and has some thermal on it has suggested above.

4/10/10 10:44 AM
ferox13

I'm getting another power supply to test that before i go and buy another heatskin/fan - i'll have to wait til monday though..

Cards are all fine..

Whats the best way to test the drive - I'm getting an old PC monday (that hopefully has a compatable PS) - i could swop out the drives and test it on that - so would something like scan disk be enough or some other diagnostic utility?

Cheers Hunting...

I need to get u a beer IRL sometime you'll always on my help threads :-)
4/10/10 3:20 PM
white belt
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used Asus V core since it was an Asus board. You can try this one.

http://majorgeeks.com/SensorsView_d4859.html

If there are no events in the history and the voltage and temps come up normal I use a live cd and let it run to see if it might have been a software issue. Here is a torrent link to Ubuntu 9.10 for a live cd.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.10/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

4/10/10 4:02 PM
ferox13

thanks white belt - i'll check that sensor thing out tomorrow..

I'm a bit confused about the 'live cd' - Ubuntu is a type of Linux..(sorry I'm prolly being noob here)

again cheers guys.
4/10/10 5:50 PM
white belt

Yes its a type of Linux. It has a feature that people refer to as a live CD. Because people are hesitant to try Ubuntu it allows you to boot your system from that disc and try the operating system without installing anything or making any changes to your computer. If I couldn't find anything hardware related to explain random reboots I'd run a live cd to see if it does it with the live cd. If it does I know I missed something, if it doesn't I have a software issue. Lame diagnostic I know but without uber tech skills it works for me.
Basically you set your BIOS boot order to cd/dvd first device and HD second. Put the disc in and restart. A screen will come up, choose English, then Try without any changes to my computer. The system will then load off the cd. The live cd usually contains all the necessary drivers to make everything work by itself. Hopefully the Sensor program points you in the right direction.
4/12/10 11:04 AM
StephenL

when the computer is shutting down, it's telling you to not turn it back on.

i made the mistake of coating my cpu with so much thermal paste that it kept too much heat within the chip.

the computer was shutting down really quick but leaving an error message.

kept turning it back on to read the message, but it didn't stay on long enough.

was finally able to figure out what it said.

"I'm overheating you fucker!! Don't turn me on again!!"

stephen
4/13/10 8:54 PM
banjo

I would put my money on a power supply issue.
4/13/10 9:12 PM
ferox13

OK I got another PC - so i think i might be able to swop out the supplys - need to check if they're compatable...
4/14/10 4:15 AM
ferox13

Edited: 04/14/10 4:15 AM
 Ok - how can i tell if the Power supply (that i wanna swop out) is compatible?

Here's what I have:

I'm almost sure this is the Motherboard i have:

MSI PM8M2-V Motherboard

PM8M2-V Desktop Board mainboard is based on VIA P4M800 and VT8237R chipsets for optimal system efficiency.Designed to fit the advanced Intel Pentium 4 Prescott processor, the PM8M2-V mainboard delivers a high performance and professional desktop platform solution.

LINK

4/14/10 10:34 PM
white belt

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/MSI-PC-Alert.shtml

Just pull the connectors one at a time and connect the matching ones on the spare. Count the big one first to see if its 20 or 24 pin. The big one plus the little 4 pin in the top left corner of your picture and the rest are all drive power connections. Maybe check if you have sata or ide power connections first (the ones that go to the drives). The old psu might only have ide power connnections depending on how old it is.
4/26/10 11:06 AM
hunting

Hey Ferox,

Did it end up being the power supply? As long as the wattage is the same as the previous one and/or look up the specs on what the board can take/use. You should be fine.

Let us know.

Sorry, I have not responded sooner, I have been busy and then came down with a high fever and with my condition I really can't do anything(not to mention it knocks me on my back and I sleep for days straight) or I risk another bout of ARDS.

And no that does not say AIDS ya fuckers....lol

4/26/10 11:27 AM
ferox13

I've been stuck in Spain and then had family stuff but I found a place that I can get a Socket 775 fan/heatsink here for cheap enuff. So the GF is going to pick one up tomorrow..

Is there a trick applying the thermal grease?

I actually didn't try the the old PSU on it - as i thought it was different wattage.
4/30/10 6:30 AM
ferox13

Ok finally got around too it..

My GF picked up a fan and i replaced it - the PC wouldn't even make it thru POST. I went back to the old fan and it booted and stayed on until for about 30mins and then shut down when I started using some apps on it.

The replacement fan seemed pretty crappy and obviously wasn't strong enough. So it looks to be the fan not the PSU for sure, yeah?
5/8/10 6:21 PM
hunting

Hey ferox,

You know, I just ran into a situation that may be of help actually.

My Wife's PC was running into a situation the same as this. Along with everything you have tried already,(the beauty of troubleshooting)

:)

Have you checked the Video Card fan(if it has one)?

The video card's fan on my wife's was doing that last week and same scenerio.

Make sure the video card fan is running well and or not burning hot.(Hard to have software tell what device is running hot when it just reboots after 15-30 seconds)

Otherwise, it is semms to be the PSU or CPU fan as discussed above. I would try to replace the CPU cab first simply based on cost and then post here from there.

Hope this helps.
5/8/10 6:49 PM
ferox13

I replaced the CPU fan and so far so good..

I wouldn't of though a Graphic card would do the reboot..

Thanks for the help man :-)
5/8/10 9:12 PM
hunting

Yes, if the Graphics card has a fan and it has failed....,the card will get too hot(just like a CPU) and then shut the PC down. But hey, sometimes that is how you learn by running into those situations.

In my situation the PC wouldn't run lomg enough for me to run a diagnostic disk so I was changing out parts and finally turned it on and watched the parts and saw the Graphics fan was not running and waited a minute and it shut down again and the graphics card was hot as hell.

Changed the card and all was well.

I have ordered a new fan for the graphics card as it is a nice card.

Anyways.....

Yes, I will still hold you to that beer...*cough* a few.....lol

Glad the guys above were able to help you out.

Hunting
5/9/10 2:43 PM
ferox13

Ok the new CPU fan seemed to have done the job...

And Hunting - u are still owed beers

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.