UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Should UFC hire its own portuguese translator?

4/11/10 4:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheParrot
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's been a lot of complaints lately about poor translations, and given the high amount of Brazilian fighters, the UFC might be better off just keeping a translator on staff.

I'd recommend they go with Wallid Ismail, he did a great job the last couple times I saw him.

Thoughts?
4/11/10 4:26 PM
TheParrot
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/11/10 4:28 PM
TheBlazilian
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would have a literal translation made the situation any better?
4/11/10 4:55 PM
fight4real
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/11/10 4:56 PM
 I'm free...

After his fight Anderson said that he was sorry. That wasn't him and he doesn't know why he acted like that. He said humility was one of the things that helped him reach that point in his career and that he definitely didn't show enough humility in his fight and he apologizes for his attitude. He promises better fights and a better attitude from now on and again, that wasn't him. If I remember correctly he also commended Maia but I'm not watching it while I type this.

Edited to say:
After that performance, I'm surprised Soares didn't do his best to fully translate the comments/apology from Anderson.
4/11/10 4:58 PM
Jack Skellington
812 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes yes yes

a professional translater doesn't speak with an accent, therefore, every last word is understood

UFC should hire their own, especially when listeing in to a Brazilian fighter's corner between rounds
4/11/10 5:01 PM
ajjr0ller
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A job Jorge Gurgel could succeed at..
4/11/10 5:04 PM
fight4real
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gurgel? He has like 10 gyms...

Help the poor guy get the job. I have no accent, have done it professionally and need the money. Damn, I thought the UG would lobby for me...
4/11/10 5:06 PM
XFC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Xtreme Fighting Championship
haven't we heard translation on the round breaks/corner work. Wonder if Ed's translations was exactly what Anderson said? anyone? :)

Justin
4/11/10 5:08 PM
ajjr0ller
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fight4real -  Gurgel? He has like 10 gyms...

Help the poor guy get the job. I have no accent, have done it professionally and need the money. Damn, I thought the UG would lobby for me...

You have swayed me.

UFC: Hire this man!! You need a REAL translator! Not Ed Sores and his made up bullshit! Hire fight4real, and you are guaranteed quality and integrity with every translation.
4/11/10 5:14 PM
D_S_A

the UFC hiring their own translators would probably fall under "production value"

and we all know how much they despise the thought of improving that
4/11/10 5:19 PM
gorgesjorj
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAjunkie Radio, Host
à parte superior!

gg
@mmajunkiegeorge
@mmajunkieradio
4/11/10 5:53 PM
PINKsinglet
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I suggested the UG's own Hillary but was politely told there was no problem with translations or understanding the Brazilians that were talking. 
4/11/10 5:55 PM
TheParrot

This only makes sense if its Wallid.  In fact, he shouldn't even translate, they should scratch the post fight interview with the fighter and just ask Wallid his thoughts on the fight. 
4/11/10 5:56 PM
humphrey sphinctermuscle

hire a translator for one fighter? silva is the only one I've seen that has his translator sugar coat the translations to cover up silva's nationalist agenda
4/11/10 5:57 PM
StephenL

as they subtitle British fighters on TUF, they could just use subtitles.

stephen
4/11/10 6:20 PM
fight4real

What I wrote up there was a real, albeit remembered, interpretation. It's not exactly what Soares said.

Also, the UFC could save money by hiring someone who speaks more than just one language (I still fit the description by the way).

UFC brass, HIRE ME! I know you read the UG religiously.
4/11/10 7:08 PM
fight4real

jkennedy - O UFC deve empregar este indivíduo porque diz que fala o português e luta. Esta maneira pode comentar inteligente e compreender as aberturas que podem ocorrer no comentários dos lutadores.

This one was better. The first sounded like a 1.2 version of google translator from back in the day... no offense.

Thanks for the support.

Não só digo que falo Português. Falo como também escrevo e faço traduções e trabalho como intérprete. Grande abraço.
4/11/10 8:04 PM
Forssberg

fight4real -  I'm free...

Cindy once posted a thread with a link to the UFC's HR contact info and job board.
4/11/10 8:15 PM
Bonedog

They really wouldn't even need to hire anyone. There are dozens of Brazilian fighters and cornermen at every show. I'm sure most of them would do it just for the screen time.
4/11/10 8:31 PM
fight4real

Bonedog - They really wouldn't even need to hire anyone. There are dozens of Brazilian fighters and cornermen at every show. I'm sure most of them would do it just for the screen time.

All kidding aside, I sincerely doubt they care to hire a professional who will do a good job of translating when some of the fighters speak broken English and have people on hand to do a decent, though not perfect, job of interpreting. I don't think it's a big deal to them.

Also, I have contact information for the UFC. I just don't think they have that position or need someone for it. It's worth a look though I suppose. I am unaware of a "job board". Gotta link?

There is an obvious benefit to having a professional fighter who is also a fan of the sport and a professional interpreter. Maybe they could be persuaded...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.