UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> submissionfighting.com remember that?

5/3/10 5:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pilot201
2042 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

true, not just that they are stars but back in the day you'd be at some small bar in NYC for the press conference, and weigh ins. The "Time Out Sports bar" in NYC was where ZUFFA had its first presser, it was when Dana still had a little bit of hair and was 30lbs lighter. The Fertitta's were there, as was Tito, Tiki, Jeremy Horn, Matt Hughes, Pat Miletich, Carlos Newton, Evan Tanner, Jens and others. They had another conference there, then it was the ESPN zone for the announcement of the return to PPV. That was amazing, Schilt, Frank Shamrock, Din Thomas, Tito, Elvis, Tanner, Kondo, and so many others. Everyone was so approachable and friendly, well except Frank Shamrock.
5/3/10 8:18 AM
Winston Wolf
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loopy all ur stuff is good but that was all on the UG not submission fighter.Cal u would have been my guess whether u lived in his town or not But his name may be Gordan i thnk for some reason ?
5/3/10 8:39 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joined in 2000 after some douchebag "bjj guy" named Ralek trolled me on a kung fu message board. he told me that sanshou sucked and he'd beat me easily. as someone who was a seasoned fighter and k-thru college wrestler, i had to fuck this guy up.  met him and got started. he ran from me for 15 minutes while i kicked hi legs, finally i lost my patience and double legged him and he "magically" did something (it was an elbow-knee escape) from side control back to this "guard" thing. from there he was too tall to punch in the face and I could tell he was trying to knock me off balance but my wrestling instincts were too good for him to do anything and in a few minutes the cops came and we both got up and bolted.  and I knew that I had to find out about this bjj stuff and did a search and it led me here.
5/3/10 8:52 AM
TUFF-N-UFF
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TUFF-N-UFF FC, VP Media&Marketing

5/3/10 8:56 AM
TUFF-N-UFF

TUFF-N-UFF FC, VP Media&Marketing
BobAsh -  I just found the old "Mobilworx" Tito collector card from 2000.  The Mobilworx guy would mail these out to you on request.

I have one of these! Tito was handing them out at a UFC years ago and putting them on tables where press would sit.

5/3/10 8:58 AM
Kneeblock
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember always thinking switching the domain name to MMA.tv was such a downgrade, but mixedmartialarts.com is and upgrade to be sure.

5/3/10 9:00 AM
Kneeblock
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bull_in_chinashop -  joined in 2000 after some douchebag "bjj guy" named Ralek trolled me on a kung fu message board. he told me that sanshou sucked and he'd beat me easily. as someone who was a seasoned fighter and k-thru college wrestler, i had to fuck this guy up.  met him and got started. he ran from me for 15 minutes while i kicked hi legs, finally i lost my patience and double legged him and he "magically" did something (it was an elbow-knee escape) from side control back to this "guard" thing. from there he was too tall to punch in the face and I could tell he was trying to knock me off balance but my wrestling instincts were too good for him to do anything and in a few minutes the cops came and we both got up and bolted.  and I knew that I had to find out about this bjj stuff and did a search and it led me here.
lol

5/3/10 5:14 PM
Koga

Classic topics from the early days:

- Carlson GJJ v Helio GJJ
- Is it considered tape trading to sell originals 2nd hand
- Offhand reference to NHB in sitcom/local newspaper/someone at office
- challenge match with local Karate instructor
- ongoing soap opera of the Michigan judo scene
- bjj is not judo

Koga! (I took the use of the exclamation point from Shaz! around 1998).

5/3/10 5:18 PM
Russ
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i was Talus on the original one way back when
5/3/10 10:38 PM
uniquetechnique
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy crap! my SN back then was MargaridaJiuJitsuteam ....very ol school. I would talk about Dave Camarillo since he was kickin everyones ass at the tournaments. Also of course Rickson Gracie
5/4/10 12:09 AM
Carlão
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my screenname back then was lizard2531  ah the good days
5/5/10 2:51 PM
Winston Wolf

^^ u were a good poster
5/6/10 3:02 AM
uniquetechnique
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lizard2531 was a good poster. *high 5*
6/3/10 12:11 PM
Jeter

I've been around for a long, long time.
6/3/10 1:16 PM
RickStorm
1777 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been here since.. well umm my date shows. But I love reading these threads and have read each and every post.. lol

Great thread guys!!!

Carry on

6/3/10 2:53 PM
Jeter

My favorite oldtimers were Machine May and Striker18.
6/3/10 5:57 PM
Punk

Yes, since 97 or 98. It's all a blur.
6/3/10 6:08 PM
Diesel67

Been here since the 1990s.  When it was REAL.

6/3/10 6:13 PM
BobAsh

^ I remember you Diesel.  Us old guys tend to remember each other.

Your inner-city students gave you that nickname if I'm thinking of the same guy.  I used to be "bash".
6/3/10 8:57 PM
Wade5000
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Old school
6/3/10 9:03 PM
Jed
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow! Good to see all the old timers still on here. I almost hate to admit it, but, there is hardly a day goes by that I don't at least spend a little time on the OG or UG. Been doing it for years.
2/5/13 2:41 AM
Dre Eastwood

Winston Wolf - 
Rockcod - 
Winston Wolf - ok real old school prior to the submission fighting days.Anyone remember the old UFC forum ??It was really the roots of the UG.Cant remember many of the names But the 2 best posters used to argue about Royce back and forth.

That sounds like the alt.ufc Usenet newsgroup. Two guys, dreestwd7 and JumpinMF fought over Royce Gracie CONSTANTLY.

ya thats it Wonder if Jumpin MF posts here anymore

I was doing a little search around the internet and came across this beauty of a post from 2010. I doubt anyone here is interested but the boards being referred to by Winston Wolf was the Martial Arts Worldwide Network (MAWN) boards on the AOL network. And he's also right about it being the foundation of what has become a unreal amount of message boards on the internet.
I was/am 'dreestwd7' from the MAWN boards...and later alt.ufc..and I fondly recall the days of Dick Rude, GATU, Tim McNellie, Marty, JudoCoach (M. Tripp) and even that Royce Gracie nut-powdering troll, Jumpinmf the rest. It was a shame when the MAWN board closed and we had to migrate over to alt.ufc. But then again it was some pretty classic shit-talking there as well. After that, the Underground came along and that was just too many people for me to keep track of at the time. So I post super-infrequently now.
Anyways, just wanted to relay that to anyone who cares. If not, oh well.
2/5/13 2:53 AM
theken206
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just had to stop by this gem of a thread to say RIP to Damien Riccios poor poor little brother Pepe.
2/5/13 7:01 AM
GrappleGirl
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been here since the beginning.....
2/5/13 7:22 AM
Kirik
1782 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Big reason it changes was my mom's friends thought it was a S&M site.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.