UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The KO Punch!

4/12/10 4:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JeffJoslin
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just finished writing --took a few weeks-- my report titled "Developing the KO Punch" which shares 12 different principles that will have you hitting harder than ever.

It's always nice to win a fight in the first round with a quick KO and hit the after party instead of the hospital. 

Enjoy!

==> FREE "Developing the KO Punch" Report

Here's Tip #7

Stay Relaxed and Loose

A relaxed strike is a powerful strike. That concept is simple to grasp but very difficult to put into action. When anger, fear, fatigue and other emotions kick in during a fight, the body often tenses up making ultra-powerful punching very difficult. A fighter’s lack of experience or lack of technical training often results in them throwing stiff, slow, laboured punches. Even worse the telegraphed punches they attack with are usually thrown by themselves, not within a combination that could drastically increase any chances of scoring a knockout.

In training, think of your arm as two different parts, the fist and the arm. The arm must take on the attributes of a piece of rope, hanging loose as it swings to and from your upper body. Alternately the fist must tighten, with its thumb on the outside, remaining clenched as if it were an iron ball hanging from that rope. At first you will find this extremely challenging to do and you’ll quickly realize that it’s going to take a lot of practice and focus to get things just right. As you tighten your hand you will often feel your entire arm tighten and vice versa with your hand becoming too loose when you allow your arm to relax. Just keep trying!

You’ll know when you get it right because you will instantly multiply the power of you punch and lessen the amount of effort it takes to throw it. That’s when your true punching power will begin to emerge.

4/12/10 4:11 PM
Jacinto
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff!
4/12/10 4:15 PM
Kostakio
531 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TtT!
4/12/10 6:24 PM
JeffJoslin
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/12/10 6:25 PM
thanks guys.

What did you guys think about the Silva/Maia fight. That was brutal to watch. Silva taunting and trying to make Maia look bad but never trying to finish the fight himself. Frustrating!!
4/12/10 7:02 PM
ThreadRuiner
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Thanks alot Jeff!

Silva acted like a fool and it was obvious he could have finished Maia whenever he wanted. Very disappointing to say the least and one of the only times I can remember being genuinely embarrassed for the sport.

Any plans on returning to mma? I think I remember reading that you had some injury problems that were keeping you out. You were exciting to watch and always came to fight. I'm a big fan!

Thanks again for the report.

Cheers

TR
4/12/10 8:02 PM
The Sultan
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

absolutely correct on all points.

One of the first lessons I learned in developing good striking were outlined in your post above....good stuff.
4/12/10 11:42 PM
AndyW

TTT
4/13/10 12:11 AM
VeniceMMA
607 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice read, thx for posting
4/13/10 12:14 AM
Quik
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Six Deuce Clothing, Owner
TTT for later. I always enjoy Mr. Joslin's insights.
4/13/10 12:17 AM
ShanTheGSPee'dOnMan
815 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the info brotha!
4/13/10 7:50 AM
JeffJoslin

[quote]ThreadRuiner - ttt Thanks alot Jeff! Silva acted like a fool and it was obvious he could have finished Maia whenever he wanted. Very disappointing to say the least and one of the only times I can remember being genuinely embarrassed for the sport. Any plans on returning to mma? I think I remember reading that you had some injury problems that were keeping you out. You were exciting to watch and always came to fight. I'm a big fan! Thanks again for the report. Cheers TR[/quote] 

[quote]ThreadRuiner - ttt

Unfortunately I can't get hit in the head anymore. An accumulation of head shots over my lifetime in MMA messed me up a while back. Couldn't exercise for over a year! Got most of them from, boxing, wrestling, hockey and even a few hard smacks in BJJ.  Here's more of the story if you want all the info ==> click

I feel great now, and am back training hard in BJJ and submission wrestling feeling better then ever. Thanks for asking.

4/13/10 10:19 AM
AndyW

ttt
4/13/10 11:10 AM
Gerbacio_PR
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JeffJoslin - [quote]ThreadRuiner - ttt Thanks alot Jeff! Silva acted like a fool and it was obvious he could have finished Maia whenever he wanted. Very disappointing to say the least and one of the only times I can remember being genuinely embarrassed for the sport. Any plans on returning to mma? I think I remember reading that you had some injury problems that were keeping you out. You were exciting to watch and always came to fight. I'm a big fan! Thanks again for the report. Cheers TR[/quote] 

[quote]ThreadRuiner - ttt

Unfortunately I can't get hit in the head anymore. An accumulation of head shots over my lifetime in MMA messed me up a while back. Couldn't exercise for over a year! Got most of them from, boxing, wrestling, hockey and even a few hard smacks in BJJ.  Here's more of the story if you want all the info ==> click

I feel great now, and am back training hard in BJJ and submission wrestling feeling better then ever. Thanks for asking.

Wow....... i read your blog....i need to read more on this , ive had 4- 5 major contussions

got hit by a car
fell of a second story building
fell of a first story
got hit with a large piece of wood on the back of the head in a street fight ( the guy that hit me ended worst ;) )
fell of a tree higher than a first story building

i need more info on this your little blog shed some light on some things that are currently going on my life
*most of this stuff happened between 14-21* right now im 28!
4/13/10 1:44 PM
JeffJoslin

FightFan23 - so do you say to keep the fist tight the entire motion of the punch? Or do you tighten up at the last possible second before impact?

thanks

I keep my fist closed throughout the entire motion of the punch. Don't squeeze tight to the point where it is taking effort to do it but keep them both closed.

If you keep having to open and close your hand during punching motions it would be way to difficult to do so during fast combinations. The key is to have a tight fist and a loose arm. Again that takes a lot of practice to master.

Keeping your hands closed is extra important when punching without gloves or with MMA gloves on.

With boxing gloves, their are times when my hands are a little more relaxed in a slightly open position.

Hope this helps.
4/13/10 2:02 PM
MountainMedic
643 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great stuff.

the whole step in/step out thing with a jab baffles me to this day. i just can't seem to do it. dumb, i know..... and it has frustrated the shit out of folks that have tried to "correct" this failure of genetics. any words to help an old guy out?

4/13/10 2:04 PM
michael254

Gerbacio_PR -

got hit by a car
fell of a first story
got hit with a large piece of wood on the back of the head in a street fight ( the guy that hit me ended worst ;) )

Wtf? For gods sake stay on the ground man and out of the street.
4/13/10 2:18 PM
The Sultan
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic - 

great stuff.

the whole step in/step out thing with a jab baffles me to this day. i just can't seem to do it. dumb, i know..... and it has frustrated the shit out of folks that have tried to "correct" this failure of genetics. any words to help an old guy out?

I use house music to teach a bouncy and loose rhythm...make sure you are on your toes too.  Not flat footed.

I'm interested in what Jeff has to say about the subject.

4/13/10 2:20 PM
hugomma
1023 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent, thanks Jeff.
4/13/10 2:26 PM
JustPeed
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
4/13/10 2:30 PM
TheThrill
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my thrds
4/13/10 3:22 PM
MountainMedic
643 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

house music? if i can't train w/ johnny cash or metallica in the background, well the sir i want no part of this whole thing.

but i guess i kind of see what you are saying, all poppy and bouncy like.

interested in jeffs take-MM
4/13/10 8:26 PM
AndyW

ttt
4/13/10 8:47 PM
ChuckManson
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool, so I sumitted my email info and will check my personal email when I get home. What exactly is in the email I will be receiving to get this? I really hope is free but free always seems too good to be true.
4/13/10 11:42 PM
JeffJoslin

The Sultan -  absolutely correct on all points.

One of the first lessons I learned in developing good striking were outlined in your post above....good stuff.

Thanks man. The point about knocking out people on the ground was learned on the job. I could here the punches cracking off his jaw yet he was still awake. Strange.
4/14/10 1:16 AM
JeffJoslin

Wow....... i read your blog....i need to read more on this , ive had 4- 5 major contussions

got hit by a car
fell of a first story

i need more info on this your little blog shed some light on some things that are currently going on my life
*most of this stuff happened between 14-21* right now im 28!

Damn, what kind of symptoms are you feeling. Mine felt like the worst hangover of my life --without the party-- that laster for over a year. It got worse when I tried to train. Light sensitivity, moodiness, irritability, and a bunch of others.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.