UnderGround Forums

Alaska Underground >> BJJ in Alaska

4/15/10 3:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
n2bateyou
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm giving real serious thought to moving to AK. Im in a line of work which gives me some flexibility as to where I can live. Having a place to train will have some influence on where we settle. I would like to stay around the southern regions, but havent ruled out Fairbanks.

I know of the Gracie Barra school in Anchorage, is there anywhere else to train Jiu Jitsu?

Thanks
4/26/10 11:16 PM
liquidsoul
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please join us at the Eskimo Jiu Jitsu club here in Anchorage. We roll Gracie Barra up in a little ball.

Our master instructor Mike Lyles trained Jeff "Snowman" Monson all the way to UFC.
4/26/10 11:47 PM
shibbyguy

this is true...i trained there...i had a mean horse stance and some karate kicks from hell.

good thing is that it suprised everyone cuz it was a bjj school so my kicks and punches threw them off. I got kicked out once because those pussies was scared of how hard i hit. i started launching bombs and those pussies were like "wtf are you doing?" such pussies at that time

now they dont mind so much, they still tap me out, but its considered fair now that i can punch and use my karate
4/26/10 11:57 PM
n2bateyou
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidsoul - Please join us at the Eskimo Jiu Jitsu club here in Anchorage. We roll Gracie Barra up in a little ball.

Our master instructor Mike Lyles trained Jeff "Snowman" Monson all the way to UFC.

I cant really tell if you are being sarcastic, but I cant find any info on a Mike Lyle in AK.
4/27/10 8:36 AM
pillbottle

Thanks for the props, guys.

Here at the Eskimo Jiu Jitsu Club, we take our training very seriously. As shibbyguy has mentioned, we do incorperate a lot of striking, but we pride oursevles on our innovation and progression of the art of bjj.

With modern techniques like the "igloo guard," the "snowball sweep," and the "drunken Eskimo" we believe we will soon be pushing 10th Planet for the most innovative bjj school around. 

We have many high level guys on the mat at all times here. Please stop in and roll sometime. First lesson is always free!
4/27/10 10:25 AM
jujitsujamo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a few questions as I am currently looking for an academy to join. Much like n2bateme, I have checked a couple of the schools around and am interested in coming in and taking advantage of this free lesson.

1. What are the monthly dues?
2. Do you guys roll gi or no-gi?
3. If you do roll gi, I have a number of patches from different schools such as Clugstons Martial Arts, Red Clouds International school of Native American fighting, and the Bohbrink Academy. Do you have a problem with me wearing these patches on my gi?
4. What is the percentage of women vs. men? I know that Alaska is a major sausagefest with a 11-1 ratio of men to women, so just wondering if I can expect the same thing in this academy?
5. How often do you attend grappling competitions and martial arts festivals in your area?

Thanks for you attention to these questions.
4/27/10 2:40 PM
pillbottle

Thanks for your interest and for your questions, juijitsujamo. I hope you'll stop by and check us out. Now I'll answer your questions as best I can...

1. $90/month with a 1 yr contract or $120/month without. Also we offer a 10% discount to eskimos.
2. We offer both gi and no-gi classes.
3. Sounds like you have been to some elite academies, particularly the Clugston school. Are you ranked in Comrhac Bas? We have been looking for an instructor and might be able to work something out if you're willing to teach.
4. We currently have only one female student (Kirima). She is a blue belt with decent skills, but unless you're attracted to drunken eskimo chicks with teeth like Shane McGowan, then you'll probably want to limit your interaction with her to here at the gym.
5. I am a three time AGA (Alaskan Grappling Association) champion. So far only students from my school are emmbers, but it seems to be really taking off.
4/27/10 2:46 PM
shibbyguy

i really like the Gi striking classes...i like how we incorporate chains around our fists and brass knuckles...really helps considering the bar scene can get rough with the eskimos around

also i enjoy the new "pop up" technique and the "salad toss"....they both worked on my neighbors dog this morning
4/27/10 2:55 PM
pillbottle

Was good having you in class last night, shibbyguy.
4/27/10 3:07 PM
jujitsujamo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like a really cool place. I Googled you and actually found a match of yours on a site similar to Youtube. You were facing a guy named David Carda something or another. He did not seem to listen to the refs instructions very well.
4/27/10 3:12 PM
pillbottle

Yes, that would be David Cardamone, and you must be referring to our MMA fight. If you'll notice, in the 1st round when we were in the clinch against the cage I gave him 3 consecutive shots with the cupped double ear strike, but he remained unfazed.

And for some reason he just wanted to keep fighting after the bell sounded for each round, even after the ref told him the round was over. Very poor sportsmanship on his part.

4/27/10 7:24 PM
liquidsoul

I love that "Cum like Bas" class.... intense!
4/27/10 7:25 PM
liquidsoul

pillbottle - <p> Very poor sportsmanship on his part.</p>

I think was the pop corn fumes.
4/28/10 11:42 PM
LRSdude38

That "Drunken Eskimo" i'm very interested in learning; Question? can i actually be drunk will learning that skill or does that come later. I prefer to learn it while Drunk if at all possible, gotta train as you live right?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.